It Came from the Chimera Thread!
#1 10-09-2018 
Because I'd kind of like to steer this topic back towards the experiment with the Chimera sisters, but man, the off-topic chatter is just too good to pass up! Big Grin

(08-09-2018 01:20 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  My Freshman students seldom arrive with less than §5,000. Some will bring that much in from scholarships alone.
I assume that this doesn't include college students who come straight out of CAS. Wink

(08-09-2018 01:20 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Most of them will have had a level 3 job, and many of them will also have crafted and sold some stuff. Some would work in their parents' shops, and receive a fair percentage of the proceeds. It's rare, but not unheard of, that a Freshman brings in a fortune in excess of §20k. Most rental houses in the default Uni hoods are not so expensive that a tiny group of two or three of my sims could not rent it. The rare super wealthy ones who come in with over §20k, can usually afford to move into any building by themselves, and deck it out any way they like!
I had one of my teen witches from the Covenheart household (Ostara Mystarra) get a job with another Sim family's business...namely, Casey Gearsmith's Wee Little Car Sales. She made more money at that job than any regular career track can offer a teen; she was bringing home $535 a day from working at Casey's restored car dealership. But the problem with giving a teen an OFB job like that is that they make themselves ineligible for the Young Entrepreneurs scholarship, claimed by getting promoted to a Third Level career track job and holding it.

That scholarship's worth $750, and I switched Ostara to the Culinary career track about four or five days before she's due to go to college. She should get to Level 3 in time, but I'm still thinking that she could have earned more than $750 + the career track's wages and promotion bonuses if I had let her continue to work for Wee Little Car Sales. Undecided

(08-09-2018 01:20 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  In my game, whenever a teen reaches the A+ level in school, they are transfered to the home schooling system. But there is no schooling going on at home, so they are essentially free to do whatever...
Is that one of Paladin's mods? It sounds like a Paladin mod. Smile

(08-09-2018 01:20 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  That one girl, though, not only made money hand over fist for herself, but she ALSO improved the business value by 200%. So then I let her mother GIVE her the business, even BEFORE she went to college. Compared to her, Malcolm Landgraab III was a beggar! She had no problem choosing her own accommodations on campus.
I need to finish making a new thread on OFB businesses. Jolene Lupina owns four businesses right now, because that "Own Five Top-Level Businesses" Lifetime Want is the biggest pain. Tongue

(08-09-2018 12:08 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  My Freshman typically have anywhere from 4 000 to 9 000 each and so if you have a group of 5 combine their money, they will then have 20 000 to 45 000 in funds. more than enough to rent one of the houses in my University Neighborhood. Note that before I send my Sims to University I make them work on skills and get an -A or higher in grades and frequently they had a job of level 3.
I'm still wondering if getting a scholarship just for the sake of having it was a good idea for Ostara. Undecided

(One nice thing about Ostara's household is that all the kids have the same father. So if I can put Dad's LTW on hold, get him into the Education track and get him up to Education Minister before the kids head to college, every last one of them might become eligible for the Mendel Award for Oxygen Donation and Repletion scholarship! Wouldn't that be nice? Smile

(08-09-2018 12:08 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  Yeah I think that the only one that get the Free Stuff are residents in the Greek House. I have never had any get anything Free without being a resident, I know that.
Ah, cool. So it's not just me and my game. It would be nice to have Sims all over campus wandering off for free pizzas and random stuff, but they have to live at the Greek House in order to do that, alas. Also, toga parties and being able to sleep on the floor regardless of the $2,000 stereo blasting "Man's Fire" right next to the Sim's head. Big Grin

(08-09-2018 12:08 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  Hanging Out works well for making friends, also chatting on the phone works well.
Group Research can help with building mass friendships along with raising Class Performance, and it seems that the more Sims there are studying together, the faster each one's Class Performance rises. The problem with that approach is that Group Research seems to be a steady Fun drain, so the non-playable students will soon get bored and wander off the lot, thus foiling your attempts at earning their friendship.

Sea Chanteys, Folk Songs and Dragon Legends are also handy at building mass friendships, especially if you spam them repeatedly. And as I discovered two or three years back, Film & Literature hobbyists who have gained enough Enthusiasm to get the "Book Club" perk can also build mass friendships by discussing novels; just use a bookshelf to start the book discussion with one Sim, then invite others to join from there. It works better on Serious Sims than on Playful ones, of course, and it too raises Fun, thus preventing Sims — especially the Serious ones — from getting bored and wandering off. Smile

(08-09-2018 12:08 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  Your Zombies look cool. Toga Toga!
Then prepare for more coolness! Big Grin

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread01.jpg]
Brace yourself, Bigfoot!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread02.jpg]
Impart Knowledge only builds single friendships, but it can build them up in a hurry! Maybe Sam can invite Amar Bigfoot there into the Zombies household after they graduate college. Can Bigfoots become zombies too, or would I fry my entire neighborhood if I tried that? Tongue

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread03.jpg]
Flex it, Linda!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread04.jpg]
Speaking of exercise, the bench press is quite a popular addition to the Romero House.

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread05.jpg]
...and there's Bobbie, coming home with another free pizza. Thanks, Bobbie. You can put it next to the other three pizzas scattered around the house.

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread06.jpg]
Okay, that should be enough pizza for now. Moving into a Greek House means never having to go hungry. Smile

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread07.jpg]
I bet he can't do it.

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread08.jpg]
Run, zombie, run!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread09.jpg]
Even though the zombies have no problem with eating three-day-old pizza, Sam decides to clean up because rotting pizzas still lower the tone around the ramshackle Romero House.

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread10.jpg]
While digging around for juicy, delicious bugs, Mary angers a swarm of bees.

She seems slightly annoyed as she continues to shuffle around.

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread11.jpg]
Linda? We already have enough pizza. Put it back where you found it!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread12.jpg]
Meet the Romero House's other big attraction: Q*Bert! Sam plays Q*Bert a lot.

With his Logic 10 (which came hand-in-hand with his 10 in Games Enthusiasm), Sam should find his way into the local Secret Society. Then he could hack grades all day and never get caught!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread13.jpg]
As if zombies didn't already have enough of a problem keeping their Hygiene high....

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread14.jpg]
See? Sometimes your Nature-loving Sims can go on a hike and come back with something besides bees!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread15.jpg]
STOP IT!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread16.jpg]
So a cheerleader walks into a house full of zombies...sounds like the plot of a campy old horror movie, doesn't it?

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread17.jpg]
More stinky pizza purging ensues.

And now to rustle up some more friends for the Zee-Zed-Zulu House!

[Image: TS2-SonOfTheChimeraThread18.jpg]
Librarians? Brace yourselves!
Pizzatron-9000, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Aug 2018.

#2 10-09-2018 
(10-09-2018 05:45 AM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  
(08-09-2018 01:20 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  My Freshman students seldom arrive with less than §5,000. Some will bring that much in from scholarships alone.
I assume that this doesn't include college students who come straight out of CAS. Wink

I would assume that it goes without say, that this most definitely does NOT include CAS YAs, because they do not receive scholarships at all Big Grin
In fact, in all my Simming life, only one student ever came directly from CAS. She was my very first sim, Shanythra Shane, and she set the very high standards that I judge all my prospective students by. She was lost in a freak HDD accident.

(10-09-2018 05:45 AM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  I had one of my teen witches from the Covenheart household (Ostara Mystarra) get a job with another Sim family's business...namely, Casey Gearsmith's Wee Little Car Sales. She made more money at that job than any regular career track can offer a teen; she was bringing home $535 a day from working at Casey's restored car dealership. But the problem with giving a teen an OFB job like that is that they make themselves ineligible for the Young Entrepreneurs scholarship, claimed by getting promoted to a Third Level career track job and holding it.

That problem with getting an OFB job is exactly why I chose to have my sims work in the family business, because that completely bypasses the OFB/regular job choice, and it allows me to decide for myself how I want to compensate the teen for their services. However, if the job already brings in over §500 a day, just two days of work is worth more than the scholarship. I wouldn't get my teen out of such a lucrative OFB job for 5 days, make her earn less than §200 a day, only to get a §750 scholarship. She'd be losing money!
If they work the family business, though, they can have that AND the regular job. I didn't do it that way for laughs... I did it for the Simoleons!!!

(08-09-2018 01:20 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  In my game, whenever a teen reaches the A+ level in school, they are transfered to the home schooling system. But there is no schooling going on at home, so they are essentially free to do whatever...
Is that one of Paladin's mods? It sounds like a Paladin mod. Smile

Thou art speaking in jest, right? I definitely hope thou art pulling my leg here. I'm going to be so disappointed with thee if thou art serious... I'm really going to get utterly pissed if thou art not engaging in jocular activity.

(08-09-2018 12:08 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  My Freshman typically have anywhere from 4 000 to 9 000 each and so if you have a group of 5 combine their money, they will then have 20 000 to 45 000 in funds. more than enough to rent one of the houses in my University Neighborhood. Note that before I send my Sims to University I make them work on skills and get an -A or higher in grades and frequently they had a job of level 3.
I'm still wondering if getting a scholarship just for the sake of having it was a good idea for Ostara. Undecided

Ah, you're beginning to see exactly what I just told you above...

(10-09-2018 05:45 AM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  (One nice thing about Ostara's household is that all the kids have the same father. So if I can put Dad's LTW on hold, get him into the Education track and get him up to Education Minister before the kids head to college, every last one of them might become eligible for the Mendel Award for Oxygen Donation and Repletion scholarship! Wouldn't that be nice? Smile

That one still strikes me as odd. I've had sim parents at the top of the Educational career, and their children NEVER had that scholarship...

#3 10-09-2018 
I want to recommend a Mod by Squinge, CollegeResearchFun, Pizzatron-9000 you mentioned group research and running out of fun, so I went and looked at the mods I have installed as i thought I had something in this area.

I have not had a Sim that had the Mendel Award for Oxygen Donation and Repletion scholarship as of yet. I am fairly certain I have had teens with a Education Minister as a parent, so I am going to check. I will also make sure to have some of my Sims that are Education Ministers have a child or two.

#4 10-09-2018 
Aw, not one comment about the zombies? Y'all disappoint me! Tongue

Anyway, there's not much mention on the internet about the Mendel Award for Oxygen Donation and Repletion, but I believe that it's one of my Winevine children who has it. I'll see if I can dig up some screenshots. Smile

#5 10-09-2018 
Sorry, friend... As I said before, I'm quite the zombie when it comes to zombies. Besides, I thought you brought the discussion here, to move it out of the thread with the zombies...So why did you bring the zombies here as well? Now we have two threads about zombies and discussion... Smile

Isn't it possible that the Mendel award comes from some custom career path or something like that? Because really, this is the first time in ten years that I've heard of it.

#6 14-09-2018 
No, no...I'm moving the zombies (and other less-than-serious business) over to this thread. The other thread's all about me making those Chimera girls into absolute weirdoes. Come to think of it, that business isn't very serious neither! Smile

And I forgot to dig up that teen with the Mendel Award! I might have to do that tomorrow sometime.

Also, while looking back through my screenshots, I noticed that even though Ostara's employment tab said that she was earning a little over 500 Simoleons a day from working at another Sim's business, in actuality she may have been bringing home considerably more than that. That insight came with another accidental discovery, the real reason why I took these screenshots:

[Image: ShockResistantOstara01.jpg]
Oh, that's just wonderful.

[Image: ShockResistantOstara02.jpg]
Okay, I see. First, she has to finish the stupid, uncancellable "Hey, everybody, I'm home!" posturing that Family Sims love to do. Then she'll burn up like hash browns on a red-hot skillet. Got it.

[Image: ShockResistantOstara03.jpg]
Holy fish, she didn't get electrocuted at all! That Family animation has one wee little benefit after all: It makes Sims lightningproof! O_O

Also, Ostara brought home over $1,000 from working at Wee Little Car Sales that day. Henceforth, Casey Gearsmith, Viviana La Morde, Jolene Lupina, Portia Rubinia and all the rest of my business-owning Sims will be giving jobs to all of my teens! Screw the Young Entrepreneurs scholarship! Tongue

#7 14-09-2018 
Ostara is doing well, then. Nothing wrong with making a rubbishload of dough.

The theatrical coming home from work, though... I believe some dude here at Leefish.nl made something to help with that... Let me see if I can find out who it was, and what that mod was named...
Oh no... I remembered incorrectly. The thing that geezer made was named BO - NoWelcomeHomeHugs and was meant to stop children from dropping their entire queue in order to greet a parent coming home from work... That's an altogether different bowl of curd to digest.

EDIT: Ok, I took another look, because I was sure that my sims are never melodramatic when coming home from the job. And what do I find?

I'm not using the NoWelcomeHomeHugs at all, myself. Instead I employ something else that kills ALL the drama of sims coming home from work. No "Honey, I'm home" theatrics, and no "Welcome back, daddy" from the kids. According to the filedate, this was made 18 months later, and was deemed unsuitable for publication. Probably because part of it was copied from someone else's work. I'll have a hell of a time figuring out who that other person was, though...

#8 14-09-2018 
Ha ha, you totally danced around the point that you were trying to make! "Hey, look what I myself made to stop Family Sims from doing that!" I see what you did there. Big Grin

I can see Family Sims who actually had children (children living with them, at that) doing the "Honey, I'm home!" thing when they get home from work, but it seems like all Family Sims do that, including teenagers (like Ostara) who can't even have children (...not unless you get into those big, ugly mods that enable pregnancy in teens, and I'm not touching those mods with a ten-foot pole, for a variety of reasons). Single Family Sims do it too (as long as they're not living alone), as do married Family Sims who don't have any children. A pair of my uber-Cuisine Sims — Gaston de Chef and Claudette de Chef (nee Gourmando) — are both Family Sims, they both do that "I'm home" posturing when they get home from their Culinary jobs, and yet I never see one spouse rush into the other's arms. Is that action supposed to get hugs from husbands and wives too, or just from children?

(And why doesn't the action invite hugs from parents? Ostara's living with both her mother and her father in that big, witchy house. Why didn't either one of them come out to give Ostara a hug? You're her family, Kain and Isis! Tongue)

Family Sims are a tiny bit wonky like that. But they do make some really good comfort soup! Big Grin

#9 14-09-2018 
(14-09-2018 08:31 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  I'm not using the NoWelcomeHomeHugs at all, myself. Instead I employ something else that kills ALL the drama of sims coming home from work. No "Honey, I'm home" theatrics, and no "Welcome back, daddy" from the kids. According to the filedate, this was made 18 months later, and was deemed unsuitable for publication. Probably because part of it was copied from someone else's work. I'll have a hell of a time figuing out who that other person was, though...
If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that you had tried to upload that mod to the Sims Site That Shall Not Be Named! They tend to come up with all sorts of bullpucky, off-the-wall reasons to shoot down your upload, and they move the goal posts a lot. "Oh, we can't accept this! The roof angle's too steep! Try again! Oh, we still can't accept this! Now the roof angle's too shallow! Oh, we still can't accept this! Now it looks like something that Fresh Prince made 18.5 years ago!" Bizzynitch, Fresh Prince doesn't even make roofs or houses for upload! What the hell are you talking about? Dodgy

Meanwhile, all of the Simmers who are good buddies with That Site's upload moderator — or are otherwise in super-high standing with their community — continue to add one upload after another to That Site's annals and archives. Like, come on, [That Site's Uploads Moderator] if you despise me because I'm a mere filthy peasant in your eyes and you wouldn't accept one of my uploads even if it was the Excalibur of Simmy items and/or mods wrapped in diamond-studded gold foil, just come out and say it so we can stop wasting each other's time! Or maybe you're expecting a bribe of some kind before you'll approve my latest hobby dorm. Again, just come out and say it. Stop cooking up this endless stream of bullpucky half-excuses and non-excuses for shooting down my upload submission and just come out and say it, cut and dried, no beating around the bush, no holds barred. Stop moving the goal posts, and tell me the real reason why you're refusing my upload. That's all I ask.

Sorry. Random rant ends.

I probably won't kill the Family Sims' "I'm home" animation because hey, it makes them temporarily immune to lightning! You can't put a price tag on that, right? Big Grin

#10 14-09-2018 
(14-09-2018 08:52 PM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  Ha ha, you totally danced around the point that you were trying to make! "Hey, look what I myself made to stop Family Sims from doing that!" I see what you did there. Big Grin

Hahahaha. Yeah, well, you know, plugging your own stuff the standard way of "I made something for that" gets old after a while. There's nothing wrong with applying a little self-ridicule, on occasion. So I joke about it... Thank you for noticing, though... Big Grin

(14-09-2018 08:52 PM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  I can see Family Sims who actually had children (children living with them, at that) doing the "Honey, I'm home!" thing when they get home from work, but it seems like all Family Sims do that...

It goes further than that, as far as I know... I've seen NON-Family sims do the same moves over and over, too! In fact, the moves may be different for some distinct aspirations, but they're all governed by a single BHAV, which I reduced to rubble!
And all right, I can imagine that one would *like* that stuff for some sims, but not for all. But I'm sure as hell not going to fashion a complicated set of tests to select by aspiration which sims will and which sims will not do these things...

(14-09-2018 09:11 PM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that you had tried to upload that mod to the Sims Site That Shall Not Be Named!

Well, I know for sure that that is not it... My *own* principles at the time of compiling the mod would already have prevented me from even *considering* to publish it.

I was still rather new to the modding scene, and had not yet learned of all the etiquette around modding, using other people's code, and such. With object-based stuff, most people are rather exclusive: you can't copy it, you can't use parts of it, and you can't even repost it unaltered with links and full credits. But when it comes to pure code -- mods and hacks -- the people who make those, are a lot more loose, and will not make much of a racket about it. I just didn't know that yet...

Anyway, you're right: the rules and regulations at that other site are something I don't care for. If these upload moderators were really there to protect the quality of the stuff, and the good name of the site, they would at least prevent some of the horrible low rate stupid hacks and corrupted lot-files from being published. But obviously, they can't much be bothered with that, it seems. It is very well possible that I don't understand the complexities of the matters they have to deal with. I'm perfectly willing to entertain that notion.
But it makes me not wanna be dependent on them. That's as far as I will go on this subject.

Sorry, that is a members only option