Audio related crashing
#11 08-10-2018 
(05-10-2018 06:02 PM)leefish Wrote:  Have you tried launching the game from the .exe in your game file instead of using a shortcut? That has worked for some also. I don't know if you have tried to run it as administrator, but that is also something to try.

I have read sometimes people have a folder called "Content registry" in the game files. They recommended deleting this file if you have it, I assume this is more for the disk version, as UC does not have a file by that name that I know of. But they say it can stop your game from launching.

You can also delete the groups.cache, cigen.package, and accessory.cache files. If you have them. You can also go in the neighborhood folder and delete the neighborhoodmanager file. NOT the whole neighborhood package, just that one file inside it, on the bottom of the list and see if it makes a difference.

I have already tried all that, and it's not that I can't launch the game. I can launch it, but then it crashes saying application will now terminate after I load in from the start menu.
I also have administrator mode, also tried compatibility mode to all older versions of windows, and I tried launching it directly and with a noCD .exe, and I also always have the cache files deleted

#12 09-10-2018 
  • Registered
@Anleas I don't know about you, but I think I was lead down a false path with this. After much investigating, it seems that Windows 10 could have been the culprit all along (surprised? Dodgy). I'm still in testing with this, but I seemed to see an immediate improvement after disabling Superfetch and Windows Search as they were both causing 100% disk usage spikes, possibly causing my crashes? Many antivirus programs seem guilty of this too, and I'm still testing for one that doesn't do this (thus far, BitDefender with both EA folder locations whitelisted seem good but early days).

Given you're getting the same access violation as me, you may be having the same underlying problem? I do want to stress the word 'seem' in this as I'm certainly no tech savvy and have made more false correlations over the years than I care to admit. [Image: lol.gif]

What I'd try is having task manager open and keeping an eye on it especially in the moments leading up to and during a crash. Is another process hogging resources at that moment denying the game what it needs? This page sums up much of what I've been trying lately, having done points 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 and SO FAR seeing a big improvement. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Let me know how you get on.

#13 09-10-2018 
@Anleas Do you have any custom content, that is, is your downloads folder empty? If not, try running no cc, just copy your downloads to a folder on desktop and try no cc.

#14 09-10-2018 
I'm not having a disk usage spike when I launch Sims 2. I've kept monitoring it cloesly in addition of CPU, GPU and memory usage, and they're all fine. Tried all the memory fixes etc. Also tried redownloading the game to my SSD system drive.

No, I dont have any CC since I already said that I did a clean re-install and with all my files deleted in the my documents sims 2 folder.

I'm on the standard windows defender, even tried whitelisting Sims 2.
I'm still having a strong believe on that it's the 10xx nvidia geforce gpu series, since I crash with my geforce gtx 1080 ti card, but on my laptop which has the exact same windows defender, same sims 2 complete edition on origin, I run it on that fine, which has a geforce gtx 760M card. It's basically not a windows 10 issue, since my laptop is also windows 10. I really believe sims 2 just doesn't run on newer hardware, however I just think it could be nice that I could play it on my desktop since I dont have room for my laptop on my table lmao.
(Also on my laptop I get that audio error as well, so I can confirm that it isn't an audio related crashing, since it runs fine despite this)

Actually wish I had an old desktop graphics card I could plug in to test if it actually just is the gtx 1080 ti that's causing all of this.. However I'm not planning to downgrade just because of one game.

Wonder if there are anyone with a gtx 10xx series card that has reported sims 2 to be working on their system, in which case it could be other new hardware, like my motherboard, cpu or ram etc that sims 2 doesn't recognize.
Also wonder if anyone has tried Sims 2 with the new Nvidia RTX cards, cause I'm planning to get one of those at some point anyway Smile

#15 10-10-2018 
In fact, there *are* people with NVidia GTX 10xx series cards, who run the game just fine. Myself, I have a GTX 1050 Ti, and the game works brilliantly here.
Maybe it's not a fair comparison, because I'm not running Win10. But I *know* for a fact that I'm not the only GTX 10xx user who has a working game.

I just have no idea what it is that makes one system different from another, though. It's really a pity that Kiri retired from the Forum, because she seemed to know how to get ANY system working... I miss that lady!

#16 10-10-2018 
It seems to be a combination of the two things BO. Win10 and the 1080GTX. I have win7 and my graphics card recently died. I bought a 50 euro card from EBay, an old one, that runs the game just fine.

Re Kiri, yea, it is a shame, but there were so many requests, she had no time for her own things, and it was just all too much. I totally support her decision to stop providing help on these issues.

#17 10-10-2018 
You're absolutely right, @leefish.

Re GTX 10xx and Win10: that's exactly why I said my situation might not be a fair comparison. But this "Dance of Incompatibilities" knows three parties: TS2, for being an older game that was never built to run with such modern cards on Win10, could just as easily be named as the culprit, because other games work quite well. The point being, that neither one of these three is the sole cause of the issue. It's complicated.

Re Kiri: I know, and I support her decision as well. I even applaud it! But that doesn't mean I'm not sad about it. She has more than enough RL stuff to deal with, and of course it goes without say that RL should always take precedence over the leisure-related issues of others.

#18 10-10-2018 
Yeah it's probably due to win10 mixed with gtx 1080. I wonder if I should be able to have multiple versions of windows on one PC, like when u boot up your pc you can choose which operating system to use, so that I can both have windows 10 for my newer games, and windows 7 for when I go old retro mode Smile However it's probably just me who think it would be a quality of life issue if I keep having to switch OS's each time I wanna play a different game, and I don't know 100% for sure yet if it actually is a windows 10 issue, or it's my card specifically.

Also regarding Kiri, ye I feel sorry for her with all the stress she had to go through. A pity that EA abandoned support for Sims 2, which was their game and their responsibility. It should be their support team that have to go through all the requests for help regarding Sims 2 on newer systems, instead of Kiri. It is probably still possible to ask them for help, but I've only had bad experiences when I use EA's support center, such as "Have you tried restarting your pc?" "Have you tried using compatibility mode?" etc

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option