Graphic Issue
#1 19-12-2018 
  • Registered
Hi. I have a Windows 10 HP laptop, and I have Intel® UHD Graphics 605. I installed The Sims 2 on it. Now the problem is for some reason, I cannot create a neighborhood. It crashes when it loads Pets. I am not sure if it is a graphic issue. I have downloaded the current Graphics Rules.sgr from 2015, but it still crashes. Can you help me? I have been playing The Sims 2 for 3 or 4 years on the old Windows 7 Dell desktop, and I really want to play the game on my new HP Windows 10 laptop. So what should I do. I have attached a config-log.txt if you see it. I am new to your website. Thank you for your help in advance.

D. Brown

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAPTOP-FIT33UR3-config-log.txt (Size: 10.35 KB / Downloads: 355)

#2 19-12-2018 
Hi @davonnabrown,

Just to check... I see that you're running Apartment Life, but don't have Mansions & Garden Stuff, right?
Also, the only problem that immediately leaps out at me, is a texture memory issue. Could you get us a readout from dxdiag?
We will need that to figure out how to set your texture memory correctly. Even if that doesn't fix everything right away,
it will at least be an important step in the right direction!

#3 19-12-2018 
  • Registered
This is my DxDiag.txt file.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 77.56 KB / Downloads: 929)
(This post was last modified: 19-12-2018 10:50 PM by davonnabrown.)

#4 20-12-2018 
Do you have directx9 on this computer? Do you get any popups about that? You can try adding directx9 from the link below
(10-12-2018 10:41 PM)gayars Wrote:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...px?id=6812

#5 20-12-2018 
Hi @davonnabrown,

Thanx for the dxdiag file, now we can fix textureMemory Smile
Pity you didn't confirm or deny my guess about AL/M&G, but it doesn't matter. I'll just assume that I'm right Smile

Here is a fix for the texture memory issue: In the installation folder for Apartment Life, open the subfolder TSData/Res/Config, and then open the file Graphics Rules.sgr in a text editor.
Somewhere close to line 48, there must be a line that says: "seti textureMemory xxxx", where xxxx is some number. Whatever that number is, doesn't matter. Just change the line to read:

seti textureMemory 4113

Then save the file, and make the same change to the Graphics Rules.sgr file in the CSConfig folder.

#6 20-12-2018 
  • Registered
I'm sorry I did not answer your question about the expansion packs. And no, I don't have Mansion and Garden Stuff. I have done what you have told me, but it still freezes when loading pets. I even just installed Microsoft DirectX SDK, but it still freezes.

Edit: It is working. Thank you so much for your help.

#7 20-12-2018 
@davonnabrown delighted to hear it. I hope you can have many more years playing Sims2, still the best even after all this time Smile

#8 20-12-2018 
(20-12-2018 09:19 AM)davonnabrown Wrote:  I'm sorry I did not answer your question about the expansion packs. And no, I don't have Mansion and Garden Stuff. I have done what you have told me, but it still freezes when loading pets. I even just installed Microsoft DirectX SDK, but it still freezes.

Edit: It is working. Thank you so much for your help.

Hi,

I'm glad you got it to work eventually. Congratulations for that!
I do have one question, though: The DirectX SDK? Why did you install that? How does that help? Because as far as I know, it doesn't.
And if you know how it *does* help, I would like to learn...

#9 21-12-2018 
  • Registered
I was asked if I had DirectX9 on my laptop. I didn't have that. So I clicked on the Microsoft link, and it redirected me to DirectX9 SDK from the website itself. I thought the program was needed for my game to work. I found out it did not work.

#10 21-12-2018 
Ah, I see... the link was wrong! Here's the correct one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...x?id=34429

But apparently, you don't need that anymore Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option