Pink Flashing - is my graphics card too powerful for the sims?
#1 12-01-2019 
  • Registered
Hello Simmers,

Recently I got a new pc that includes a RTX 2080Ti (11gbs), 32 gbs of ram and Intel i7-8700k 3.7Ghz. I downloaded the sims 2 straight away and put the graphics rule fix in my game and when I loaded it up sims, hood decorations and furniture and build mode objects were flashing pink (everything apart from 'hood terrain, roads and water) I also put a help post on modthesims a couple of days ago and people were helping me straight away and when I tried everything (4gb patch, allocation memory fix, graphics rule maker, reinstalling the game, deleting thumbnails, deleting caches, changing resolution, changing 'BoolProp EnableDriverMemoryManger False' to true) the flashing pink glitch was still occuring. The gameplay is fine and runs well for some reason and I am confused. I know this is a texture problem (obviously) and it is frustrating to be honest. I've seen some forums on this website and modthesims that people with higher graphics cards (nvidia 10x0) have the same problem as I do on windows 10. I do not have custom content in my game and this occurs straight away when I download the game. I have reinstalled the game about 4 times now and I really need some help, any help would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures to show this problem

Thanks, Notis Smile

Attached File(s)
.txt  notis-config-log.txt (Size: 10.27 KB / Downloads: 429)
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 07:13 AM by Notis123.)

#2 12-01-2019 
Check that you have the files for the game set to read and write and run as administrator.

#3 12-01-2019 
  • Registered
The accessability to enable read and write mode seem to be locked. Whenever I uncheck Read-Only and apply changes, it pops up again as it is read-only. I'm not quite sure how to fix that windows bug

#5 13-01-2019 
  • Registered
Thank you for the links, I followed them and did everything but it is still flashing pink after turning it to read and write and running as administrator. Any more suggestions?

#6 13-01-2019 
If this is a laptop one option is to run the game using the integrated chip. @Kunder knows how to do that. If its a desktop you could try using a second harddrive with win7 and dual boot.

#7 16-01-2019 
You can set an individual game to run on the integrated graphics through the nVidia control panel, IF you have an integrated graphics chipset. You'll have to go around and reset your *.sgr files for integrated graphics use.

Unless you have LESS than HD4400 graphics, and an i5 processor, and no SSD, there is NO REAL ADVANTAGE to running Sims 2 on nVidia graphics. Sims 2 was designed to run on OLDER hardware, and it doesn't like the newer hardware.

Unless you have less than Intel HD-4400 graphics, there's no reason to put yourself through the trouble of trying to run Sims 2, on your nVidia, or Radeon chipset. Actually, the integrated chipset sometimes runs Sims better than the nVidia, or Radeon.

I have nVidia GT730m, and HD4600 graphics on my computer. I run sims 2 on the HD 4600, as it's more trouble than it's worth, trying to run Sims on the nVidia graphics.

IF you have both nVidia, AND HD graphics, you can remove your nVidia graphics drivers through Device Management, install The Sims 2 while just on HD graphics, set your game up to run properly with HD graphics, then re-install your nVidia graphics drivers afterwards. This is kind of drastic, and requires you to download the proper nVidia drivers for re-installation before doing this, but it works. This works ONLY with laptops, and desktop systems that can run both the nVidia, AND HD graphics at the same time. Most laptops with dual video, can be done in this manner.

I recommend using the following USED or REFURBISHED laptops for Sims:

Lenovo ThinkPad T420/T420s/T430/T430s, if you want to use nVidia graphics. Lenovo ThinkPad T440/T440p/T540p, otherwise.

Anything with HD4600 to HD630 graphics, Windows 7, or Windows 8.1, 8gb/RAM, and a SSD.

NoCD versions of Sims will run fine on Win10, but getting the CD/DVD versions to run properly on Win10, can be a bit of a pain.

HD4000/4200/4400 will work, but you need a FAST hard drive to run stutter free.

Also note, that The Sims 2, will run on DX11, as well as DX9. You may want to switch your Antivirus from whatever you have, to AVAST! free antivirus. It plays well with Sims.

I've never had any trouble running my NoCD Sims on anything I've installed it on, including Win10 systems, as long as I'm using the HD graphics.
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2019 05:11 PM by Kunder.)

#8 16-01-2019 
  • Registered
Yeah I have switched my graphics to the integrated graphics card and it works just as fine but I am sad that I can't use my nvidia card but it is whatever, thank you and Lee for helping me out I really appreciate it Smile <3

#9 17-01-2019 
(16-01-2019 03:22 PM)Notis123 Wrote:  Yeah I have switched my graphics to the integrated graphics card and it works just as fine but I am sad that I can't use my nvidia card but it is whatever, thank you and Lee for helping me out I really appreciate it Smile <3
You're welcome. Save the extra video power for newer games. Sims REALLY doesn't need, nor can really use it. Glad the problem's solved! Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option