Sims 2 texture memory stuck at 512mb
#1 23-02-2019 
  • Registered
I've been working on tweaking my game for about two months to work with my new laptop, but am still experiencing graphical glitches. The worst offender by far is the pink flashing problem, but I also get boxes, squiggles, lag and other weirdness in CAS.

At the moment I'm looking into the texture memory that the game is using. According to my config-log, this is stuck at 512mb, and won't change no matter what changes I make to the graphic rules. The dedicated memory available for my graphics card is 4021mb, and so I have the line "seti textureMemory 4021" in the files - but it just won't stick. Even lower numbers, like 1024 or 1744, make no difference - it will always read 512mb in the config-log.

Is the lower texture memory likely to be causing issues? And if so, how can I force the game to see a larger number?

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thank you.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-2CK6HNK-config-log.txt (Size: 10.23 KB / Downloads: 364)

#2 23-02-2019 
What operating system do you have?

#3 23-02-2019 
  • Registered
(23-02-2019 05:57 PM)leefish Wrote:  What operating system do you have?

Sorry for not including that in the original post! I'm on Windows 10. Here's some details of my system:

CPU: Intel i7-8550U
Memory: 16gb RAM
DirectX 12
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 4gb

#4 24-02-2019 
There you go: 7th generation CPU, Win10 and an NVidia 10x0 video card. Read ALL the threads created in this section in the last three months... MOST of them are about such combinations, and none of them are solved. THAT should tell you how much chance there is of you getting this to work.

Also read the top thread BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY ON A NEW LAPTOP!!!, written by @Kunder. That contains a lot of information on what system work and what systems don't.

#5 24-02-2019 
If you have a 7thGen computer, try running on your HD620 graphics, instead of nVidia.
Try installing DX10, or DX11.

A NoCD hack will help a lot.

OOOPS! You have an 8thGen "CoffeeLake" processor!
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2019 09:59 PM by Kunder.)

#6 24-02-2019 
  • Registered
(24-02-2019 12:13 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  There you go: 7th generation CPU, Win10 and an NVidia 10x0 video card. Read ALL the threads created in this section in the last three months... MOST of them are about such combinations, and none of them are solved. THAT should tell you how much chance there is of you getting this to work.

Thanks for the reply. I did read other threads here, including this one, so I am aware of the issues I'm facing with this spec. Fortunately for me, the game runs flawlessly except for the occasional blip, so I'm reluctant to give up all hope just yet. I'm just looking to see if there's any way of ironing them out, or if this is the best that the game will run.

I really didn't intend this thread to be yet another 'my game won't work!' thread, which I can understand is frustrating, and I appreciate your directness in outlining just how difficult the situation with modern systems is. Like I said, overall I'm very happy with how my game runs, and I think I'm pretty lucky to be able to say that! I just noticed that changes to the graphics rules re: texture memory aren't actually registering in the game by the looks of my config log, and I haven't yet found any posts about this specific problem so I don't know if it's down to system incompatibility, or if there's something I've missed in my graphics rules.

(24-02-2019 02:03 AM)Kunder Wrote:  If you have a 7thGen computer, try running on your HD620 graphics, instead of nVidia.
Try installing DX10, or DX11.

I've tried the game on the Intel graphics and it seemed to run well, though it still needs a little tweaking (and I didn't try it with CC). However I did notice that, once again, any changes to the texture memory in the graphics rules weren't actually registering in game, if the config log is anything to go by. Hopefully, if it does come to it, running the game with the onboard graphics won't harm my laptop in the long run.

As for trying an older version of DirectX, how easy is this to do? The laptop came with DX12 and I'm scared to start messing with things outside of the game settings, in case I end up worse off than I am now.

Thank you both for your replies.

#7 24-02-2019 
@palominosun, thank you for your clarification. I read you loud and clear.

As for the texture-memory changes in the Graphics rules: could you please attach that file to a post? Maybe one of us can help fix that.

#8 24-02-2019 
  • Registered
Thanks. I've attached my Graphic Rules below (as a .txt document).

Attached File(s)
.txt  Graphics Rules.txt (Size: 34.35 KB / Downloads: 520)

#9 25-02-2019 
No, alas, the textureMemory line is in the right place, so it *should* work.
Now we could wonder whether this file was put in the right folder. It *should* be in the "Config" folder belonging to the "Mansion & Garden" (EP9) installation to work properly.

#10 25-02-2019 
Is this ultimate collection or CD or a torrent? Depending on what you have you need the graphics rules in a different folder, and, as @Kunder says, you need a good no CD hack.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option