Sims 2 Framerate/Lag Issue
#1 08-05-2019 
  • Registered
So I've had several crappy laptops in the last few years that would run The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on all high settings perfectly. I've recently reinstalled the game on a Windows 10 computer (I'm not sure how to get computer specs or the config-log.txt) and the game loads pretty quickly, everything runs fine until I get into an actual household. Once I do, the game seems to have a framerate problem. This only occurs when my screen is on the sims (there are 3 sims). When I move away from them, the game runs smoothly. I have turned everything to low settings, changed to run as admin, changed the compatibility mode to different versions of windows, but nothing changes. I'd also like to add that I can play The Sims 3 on this computer with several expansions added on medium graphics and it runs pretty smoothly with the occasional lag here and there. As I said, the game has worked on computers that likely had worse specs than the one I'm using now. Any suggestions?

#2 08-05-2019 
Have you tried setting the smooth edges option to high? That seems to help in these stutter cases.

#3 08-05-2019 
  • Registered
(08-05-2019 05:23 AM)leefish Wrote:  Have you tried setting the smooth edges option to high? That seems to help in these stutter cases.

It's usually grayed out but I know there are ways to enable it. I'll try it when I get home.

#4 08-05-2019 
In case you did not know, you can only change that setting in game when on a lot. If it is greyed out on lot then your graphics rules might need editing.

#5 08-05-2019 
  • Registered
(08-05-2019 02:58 PM)leefish Wrote:  In case you did not know, you can only change that setting in game when on a lot. If it is greyed out on lot then your graphics rules might need editing.

That's what I figured. I've seen tutorials so I'll change it and try it out and let you know if it worked. Thank you!

#6 08-05-2019 
  • Registered
Installing the Graphics Rule Maker made the game way more playable even on high settings. Thank you for your help Smile

#7 03-06-2019 
  • Registered
Hey sorry if I reply to this old post, but I'm losing my mind trying to fix this game. I have the same problem (the game loads pretty quickly, everything runs fine until I get into an actual household. Once I do, the game seems to have a framerate problem. This only occurs when my screen is on the sims. When I move away from them, the game runs smoothly. More sims = worse lag unless I move the camera away from them).

I applied the 4GB patch, I ran graphic rules maker and increased the texture memory and added my graphic card to the database. Tried different options too, nothing seems to effect this problem.
I also tried to run the game removing the folder in Documents to generate a new one, without CC, the lag is a bit more bearable but it's still there when there are many sims on view.

Can you please share your specs and Graphic Rules.sgr file so I can compare it to mine?

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option