The Sims 2 UC Crashing
#11 14-06-2019 
  • Registered
(14-06-2019 09:33 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  1. Are you running it in windowed mode?
2. Are you running the Sims in Admin?
3. Do you have the smoothing set to Max?
4. What do you have the compatibility set to?

1. Tried running it on windowed mode and full screen both ways crashed
2. Yes
3. Don't know what that is. I downloaded "Graphic Rules - NVIDIA - Texture Fix - Max Screen size 1920x1080" if thats what you mean
4. I tried using Windows XP, 7, 8 and no compatibility all of them had the same result

#12 14-06-2019 
I'm gathering this is a desktop system?

If so, an older video card like a GTX 940/950 might work better for you. IF your motherboard is compatible with these cards.

Here's one that won't break the bank. Check for compatibility with your MB though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-NVIDIA-GeFo...Y&LH_BIN=1

You can still keep your new nVidia card. Re-install it for playing AAA titles.

Just a suggestion.

#13 14-06-2019 
@Herst

OK. Boiling Oil is correct about where the game is installed is not important.

That you are running it in admin means that you're not getting the access violation because of lack of access of your account. That points to your system not storing stuff in the same place that they used to - in the graphics rules, we got around that for the graphics memory by hard-coding it in. However it looks like Windows10/graphics card has moved other stuff that is causing the access violation.

(I'm assuming that you are doing this without custom content - if you're not then re-do it without custom content).

At this point I would suggest looking for an older graphics card to install as a dual graphics card - you're going to need to talk to a local tech person for this. When you have a dual graphics card, you can assign different graphics cards for different applications depending on how you install it, and how your rig is set up.

Directx12 has been around for a few years (I saw that it was in use in 2013, so at some point directx12 does work with sims 2). It may be that the current version doesnt, but it's worth finding out if the intel graphics card will still work with it.

#14 14-06-2019 
  • Registered
Great new guys, I managed to make Sims 2 work on a VM (VMware) using Windows XP!

Now I think it just needs a little bit o tweaking, atm I'm having to deal with this issue that makes the game blink in pink, Idk if any of you know how to solve it.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 15-06-2019 03:31 AM by Herst.)

#15 15-06-2019 
  • Registered
Update!

After tweaking my VM and The Sims 2 Graphics Rules rules I was able to fix the problem with everything looking pink by making sure "forceSoftwareDevice" variable was never called, after making this change the game became grey instead of pink and I was able to fix it by calling "forceSoftwareVP true", but unfortunately this introduced a lot of lag to the game especially when you move the camera.

I don't know if there's a hardware version of "forceSoftwareVP" that would have better performance without fracking up the game, I'll keep making changes to my Graphic Rules to see if I can make the game perform better.
Also, the Shadows option in the game is greyed out on High, how do I change that so you can select the shadows quality ingame?

Once I'm able to get the game to be 100% playable I'll release my graphic rules and video cards along with instructions on how to set up the VM.

https://imgur.com/zyHrhlZ -> Image option is not working so here's the link
[Image: zyHrhlZ]
(This post was last modified: 15-06-2019 04:32 AM by Herst.)

#16 15-06-2019 
@Herst

Can your recent version of config-log.txt? I might be able to help you tweak that to make it work better.

Congratulations on making it work on VM!! That's very exciting!

#17 15-06-2019 
  • Registered
(15-06-2019 08:10 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  @Herst

Can your recent version of config-log.txt? I might be able to help you tweak that to make it work better.

Congratulations on making it work on VM!! That's very exciting!

Sure thing!

I also tried using a VM running windows 7 and it runs perfectly, 60 FPS with max settings and no wierd bugs so far.

WIN-1K1U92FBS05-config-log.txt -> config file for Windwos 7 VM
PEDRO-1D59A3209-config-log.txt -> config file for Windwos XP VM
Also I added my version of Graphic Rules and Video Cards made for VMs -> since I have no idea of what the majority of the settings do there's a lot of improvements that can be done to it but at least it gets the game running on both Windows 7 and XP

IMPORTANT!
If you donwload or copy Video Cards or Graphic Rules you need to change the file type from txt to sgr.
Also, Windows XP and Windows 7 VM's use the same device id for their drivers but they are different drivers with different names, so if you run a Windows XP VM you need to use Video Cars XP and remove XP from the file name

Attached File(s)
.txt  WIN-1K1U92FBS05-config-log.txt (Size: 10.3 KB / Downloads: 336)
.txt  PEDRO-1D59A3209-config-log.txt (Size: 10.33 KB / Downloads: 331)
.txt  Video Cards XP.txt (Size: 26.82 KB / Downloads: 301)
.txt  Graphics Rules.txt (Size: 33.89 KB / Downloads: 294)
.txt  Video Cards.txt (Size: 25.89 KB / Downloads: 299)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option