Tried Everything - Still Cannot Run Sims 2 UC
#1 09-09-2019 
  • Registered
Hello everyone,

I just joined this site because I'm getting pretty desperate with trying to find a solution to running TS2 UC on my new HP laptop. It's running Windows 10 with Intel UHD 620 graphics. I've tried downloading the fixes and I've tried manually adding my video card, but I continue to get the DirectX 9 error. I have my config log attached, if anyone at all could help that would be great :\

.txt  DESKTOP-RUSSJ9J-config-log.txt (Size: 9.57 KB / Downloads: 350)

#2 10-09-2019 
Hi @averex,

I would ask you to please run DxDiag and attach the resulting .txt file to your next post. This may help us with determining how much video ram your system has. I ask this, because your config-log.txt shows the default Kiri-setting for video RAM: 1744 MB.

Have you tried reïnstalling DirectX 9.0c? I saw this suggested to someone else here, recently, and it worked there.

#3 10-09-2019 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil

I tried reinstalling (what I could, seeing as I had to resort to another site since Microsoft won't let me download it) of DirectX 9 and it still didn't work. Here's my dxdiag:

Time of this report: 9/9/2019, 2041
Machine name: DESKTOP-RUSSJ9J
Machine Id: {DAD014D6-1C3E-4197-BCAD-CF8AFEA36F8C}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Laptop 15-da0xxx
BIOS: F.07 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8108MB RAM
Page File: 5431MB used, 3955MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

#4 10-09-2019 
I'm sorry, but this dxdiag is no good. Now we see only a tiny bit of the data, because instead of attaching the file, you've tried to copy&paste it. Do it like you did with the config-log.txt file, please.

I don't know what to say with regards to your DirectX problem... I hope that @Kunder stops by soon with some solution.

#5 10-09-2019 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil

Here, the whole thing is attached below.

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 87.79 KB / Downloads: 352)

#6 10-09-2019 
Try running DX11. Win10 is not compatible with DX9, especially on the newest computers. TS2 will use DX11, so will Win10. However, no guarantees. Your only option after that, is get an older laptop, refurb it, use that.

Read this:
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8788

I recommend a Lenovo ThinkPad T440p. Everything is upgradeable, and the on-board HD4600m graphics, are more than adequate for TS2. Win7 preferred, and they're readily available on Ebay, cheaply.

#7 10-09-2019 
@averex Yes, that was much better, thank you. I see that Kunder came by as I had hoped. Now I hope that his suggestion helps you.

Also, if you do get the game to play, I would like to suggest that you find the file "Graphics Rules.sgr" in both the "TSData/Res/Config" and TSData/Res/CSConfig" folders of your M&G (EP9) installation folder and find the line that says:

seti textureMemory 1744

you should find this around line number 48 or thereabouts. Change the number to read 4096, and then save the file. Once you've changed both files, the best possible graphical experience that the game is capable of, will be available to you.

#8 10-09-2019 
  • Registered
@Kunder @BoilingOil

So is there no other way to avoid the error? I’ve gotten the game to work in windowed mode, but I don’t really like windowed mode so I was looking for a legitimate fix. I don’t understand how it still wouldn’t work because I’ve added my graphic card to the list and implemented the texture fix to my graphic rules.

#9 11-09-2019 
@averex

This problem doesn't have anything to do with your graphic card being added to the list, or with the texture fix being implemented to your graphics rules. This is a problem with Windows 10 not accepting Directx 9.
If installing DirectX 11 didn't help you, then I fear your chances of playing full screen are slim. I'm sorry. Maybe the thing that @citrusalex was talking about, would help you. But after promising us a full explanation on the subject, they've completely disappeared from the radar, so I really cannot say.

Also, the 1744 that I was talking about, is part of the texture fix that @celebkiriedhel came up with. It's a great fix to the 32 MB texturememory issue that it addresses, but it's not perfect. In your case, that number would best be replaced with the 4096 that I was mentioning. Alas, though, that would not help you play the game in full-screen mode.

#10 11-09-2019 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil

How have other people managed to install DirectX 11? I tried looking it up and I couldn't find any legitimate looking sites that were offering it. The closest thing I could find was Microsoft having an update to DirectX 11 on their site, but not the original thing. Also, if I did find it, would it still let me install or would it not work because I have DirectX 12 installed?

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option