Tried Everything - Still Cannot Run Sims 2 UC
#11 11-09-2019 
@averex Alas, that is an issue that @Kunder probably knows more about.

As far as I know, the "upgrade to DX11" that microsoft is offering, is the original thing. It is, in fact, an upgrade for those who have DX9 or DX10 currently installed. I think it's possible, that if you uninstalled DX12, the option to "upgrade to DX11" would suddenly be replaced by the option to "install DX11".

But in all honesty, I cannot be sure about that last bit, because I'm still running Win 7, which works fine with DX9.0c.

#12 11-09-2019 
(11-09-2019 04:51 AM)averex Wrote:  @BoilingOil

How have other people managed to install DirectX 11? I tried looking it up and I couldn't find any legitimate looking sites that were offering it. The closest thing I could find was Microsoft having an update to DirectX 11 on their site, but not the original thing. Also, if I did find it, would it still let me install or would it not work because I have DirectX 12 installed?
Just google DX11 free download. It can be installed with DX12, however, uninstalling DX12, may help. However, doing so, may make unavailable, some of the features in Win10.
I don't bother trying to run Sims 2 on Win10 machines any more. Most of the time, it's too much trouble, and it doesn't usually work properly. One thing I can't stand, is a computer, or a game, not running properly. It annoys me to the point, I become OCD about it.

#13 11-09-2019 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil Welp, I tried putting all the files for DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 in my System32 folder and I'm still getting the error -__-

I don't understand why nothing works for me. Other people seem to get it to work by merely using the Graphics Rules Maker or the fixes from here. I guess the game just hates my graphics card?

#14 12-09-2019 
The last hardware platform that would reliably run TS2, is Broadwell (5thGen), the most recent O/S that would reliably run TS2, is Win 8.1Pro. I HAVE managed to get TS2, running on my MSI Kabe Lake, (7thGen), with HD630 on-board graphics... Until, Win 10 upgraded past version 17xx something. Since then, no go. Not reliably, or with any certainty, anyways. Your computer is far removed from there. You may want to check out as @BoilingOil suggests, to try out what a now, missing poster suggested. The *BEST* combination of O/S, and Hardware for running Sims 2, is Win7Pro, and a Haswell (4thGen) computer.

The amount of trouble getting TS2 running on a newer system, far outstrip the enjoyment of the game IMHO, and I quit trying. I keep computers around, that will reliably run TS2, on a regular basis, and keep them maintained. I have no issues.

I REALLY believe, that at this point of time sadly, we're at a point where getting older computers is the only option for playing TS2 now. Sad
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019 02:51 AM by Kunder.)

#15 12-09-2019 
  • Registered
@Kunder

That's really disheartening. I can't reasonably buy another computer just to play this game at the moment seeing as I'm a college student and barely have any money whatsoever. Guess it's just windowed mode or nothing at all :\

I wouldn't mind it so much if windowed mode wasn't so small. It's locked in one resolution and I have no way to stretch it out to make the picture bigger.

#16 12-09-2019 
I agree completely, @averex. Playing in windowed mode is uncomfortable, to say the least. But, considering your financial situation, I'm afraid that that indeed seems to be your only recourse. There's nothing any of us can do about it right now.

Even on my 3840x2160 screen, I *never* play in windowed mode. In fact, I've set windows to use a 1920x1080 resolution. I start the game in fullscreen mode, and have the in-game resolution set to 1600x900. My TV is some 8 feet away from me, so at higher resolutions, in-game texts become too small to read. But that is all off-topic drivel. Sorry for that.

Good luck with your game,

BO

#17 12-09-2019 
(12-09-2019 03:20 AM)averex Wrote:  @Kunder

That's really disheartening. I can't reasonably buy another computer just to play this game at the moment seeing as I'm a college student and barely have any money whatsoever. Guess it's just windowed mode or nothing at all :\r

I wouldn't mind it so much if windowed mode wasn't so small. It's locked in one resolution and I have no way to stretch it out to make the picture bigger.
I know, and I hate saying it. Maybe Kiri can give her advice, whenever she pops in here. I'm not as knowledgeable on TS2 as she, or @BoilingOil, I just know the hardware, the O/S, and what combination of those, work best for TS2, and basic adjustments to the game to get it working.

#18 13-09-2019 
Have you edited the graphics rule in your game files? Look for ScreenModeResolution around line 780.

Based on your log file your game is being forced to use low or medium settings, I assume due to the intel card. Try copying the resolution values for high into medium and mediumdefaultlow.

#19 15-09-2019 
  • Registered
@HugeLunatic

I'm not quite sure if I did what you said correctly, but regardless I still got the error :\

#20 01-12-2019 
@BoilingOil the guide has been available for quite a while now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19JMr...6rOs/edit#
I just simply decided to stop using this forum since people here are so hostile to me just trying to help.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option