Sims2EP9.exe missing
#1 09-10-2019 
  • Registered
I had a strange problem happen suddenly this morning. My game refused to start, and found that the Sims2EP9.exe had disappeared from its place in Program Files. My desktop shortcut was linking to nothing! I attempted to copy the required file into the folder, but windows kept saying I didn't have permission, but refused to give me said permission. I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling M&G, but the computer no longer thinks I have it installed!

Next I tried deleting the M&G folder from Programs files, and then reinstalling, which went fine until it tried to copy Sims2EP9.exe... and refused to do so, meaning I had to abort the installation. Oddly, all other files copy to that location, just not Sims2EP9.exe. and I can copy Sims2EP9.exe to other locations on the computer. It's just THAT file won't go in THAT location where I need it to!

I'm hoping you clever people can figure this out for me. I run windows 8 and have all EPs and SPs installed from original discs.

#2 09-10-2019 
The fact that you seem unable to copy the .exe file back to where it should be, indicates to me that one of Windows' security systems has determined that the file was corrupted in some fashion. Several Windows security systems protect both the Windows folder and the various Program Files folders.

This is the reason why I do NOT install my games in those folders ever. I have a folder named "Game", and every time I install a game on my computer, I tell the installer to put it there. In the case of The Sims 2, I would choose "/Game/The Sims 2/<ep name or number>" as the install path.

The advantage of this is that Windows doesn't try to police the files there, and IF a file goes missing, you can simply copy it back without being stone-walled.

So what I suggest that you should do, is to backup your Sims 2 data -- all your custom contents, mods, saved games etc. -- from the Documents folder, and then completely uninstall The Sims 2. Then clean up your registry, and reinstall The Sims 2, but now in the folder "Game" instead of "Program Files". After testing that the game works, restore the data that you backed up earlier. Now you should be good to go again!

#3 10-10-2019 
  • Registered
I've managed to get it working by manually uninstalling M&G and reinstalling just that SP in different place. thanks for the suggestion! now to fix my Graphics Rules again because it's stuck in 800x600 resolution now, though!

Sorry, that is a members only option