Help Getting Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to Start on a new HP Laptop
#1 10-10-2019 
  • Registered
I apologize in advance if I am posting this query in the wrong place. I recently purchased a new HP Laptop (dxdiag attached below), and I was hoping to run my Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (Store Edition) on it. I used to be able to run this same version of the game without any trouble on a much older desktop computer with Windows 10 as the operating system, but recently the graphics card on that computer has started overheating and causing the computer to shut down when I try to play any game on it.

So I would like if possible to run it on my new laptop computer but although I was able to download and install it without any trouble from Origin, I cannot get it even to launch. When I try to start it I receive the following message: "Failed to find any Direct X 9.0 compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it twice. I did some research and discovered that the game apparently does not work with Direct X 12 (which is what is installed on my new machine), so I found a free version of Direct X 11 and installed that as well. I have also installed Graphic Rules compatibility fix and checked to make sure that it is present in all the relevant folders in Program Files.

Looking at the config file (which I have also attached below), I can see that the game does not recognize my graphics set up (Intel UHD Graphics 620) or its drivers at all, I suppose because they are too new. Is there a possible way to trick the game into thinking the graphics system is something it could accept?

In conclusion, is there any way to get The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to run on my new laptop, or should I just give up entirely and uninstall the game for good?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAPTOP-6AOVLDUS-config-log.txt (Size: 9.6 KB / Downloads: 339)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 79.82 KB / Downloads: 1100)

#2 10-10-2019 
Hi @Beth,

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but to me, it doesn't look like you're going to have a good chance of properly playing TS2 on this new machine. As you already figured out, DirectX 12 does not support the required DirectX 9 functions the game need, and installing DirectX9 does not fix that. Only DirectX 11 may help, and even that is no longer guaranteed since the October 3rd, 2019 Windows update.

Your unrecognozed videocard issue is easiy fixed, if you get the "VideoCards - NEWER.rar" file from Kunder's "New Video Cards.sgr!" thread, unpack it, remove the "-NEWER" part from the .sgr-file's name, and copy the file to both the Config and CSConfig folders of your Mansion & Gardens folder in the game's installation folder.

But then you still have to find a reasonable setting to get a nice performance from that poor video card of yours, with it's very scarce dedicated video memory.

No, I think that your chances are best if you could get a somewhat older laptop with Win 7 or 8.1, just for your sims. @Kunder has the best information on that front for you, provided that you can afford to spend some more money. And if this is not a viable option for you, then hopefully someone could help you set up a VM or dual-boot system where you can install Win 7 or 8.1 on your new machine. There would still be the issue of the poor videocard, though.

Good luck,
BO

#3 10-10-2019 
  • Registered
Hello Beth,

I too have a windows 10 configuration with DirectX 12, and the following post on modthesims.info helped me run the game (/me happy):

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=633003

This thread describes how to install a DX9 emulator, aimed at providing legacy DX9 support on modern systems.

I followed the guide from the first post to the letter and I have a working sims 2 game on windows 10, DirectX12, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (which, dare I say, is a pretty modern graphics card). Now not all stories listed in the document spell "success" in the end, so it might not work for you. But I think it is worth giving a try!

Hope this will help to get your game running again,
Jermus

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option