New Machine troubles - Thank YOU!!!
#21 17-12-2019 
Thank YOU BO Heart

I have moved the other windows user folders (as you said) to D-drive. When right-clicking those folders it gave me the option to 'move' them. However, the EA Games folder does not give me that option - there is no location tab at the top of the properties window.
It's just TS2 that won't move.
I have run the game - it has set up the folders...
When I try relocating the folders to D-drive, it just builds a new set of folders in C-drive. *grrrr*

Thank you for looking into this. I've set up a temporary fix by 'sharing' the folder. But, Hattie is pretty crafty - I really don't like sharing Admin folders with her.

#22 17-12-2019 
Oh, I hope you'll reread my previous post, because I was editing while you wrote your post. Smile

#23 18-12-2019 
(17-12-2019 10:41 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  ...My alternative is to open the folder C:/Users/<your username>/, then right-click "My Documents", select "Properties", select the "Location" tab, and in the line with the current path, change the drive letter to D, while not touching the rest of the path. The system may issue some warnings and request some confirmation, but eventually it WILL move the existing Documents folder to the D: drive, and from then on, every time you select "My Documents" from wherever you may be on your system, it will open that folder on D:, not C:...
^^^ That's what I did with Hattie's user folders. Unfortunately, the first time I ran TS2 was from MY admin/user folder. So now the machine thinks my folder is the only game in town *sigh*
So, I'm thinking my options are to either uninstall/reinstall TS2 (which I'd really rather NOT do.) Or, find a way to live with 'sharing' the EA Games folder (Which isn't really all that bad I guess, because Hattie will be the only person using this machine - My admin account is just for setting things up and parental controls.)

It's really aggravating that her user folders moved successfully to the D drive, but the EA Games folder inside it won't work. TS2 insists on saving to my c:adminUser/docs Slap

#24 18-12-2019 
Uninstall/reinstall should not be necessary.

If you start windows from Hattie's account, and then run the game as Hattie, it should actually find Hattie's folder, regardless of where that is.
If it does not properly do that, then I'm at a loss. I'm sorry.

#25 18-12-2019 
yeah I know my link was for an older windows I just thought it was interesting that the person who wrote it seemed to have the same problem. The whole documents folder could be moved the way you described except EA being stubborn.

I know a lot of commands for older windows versions still work with newer ones so it might still work I just don't know if the ones given on my link are actually right and more importantly safe cause I don't know the site or the person or how any of that works.

I don't understand the same thing BoilingOil just wondered. If you have different user profiles set up why doesn't EA recognise that when starting the game from another profile to look there instead of looking in the admin folder. Really weird, what is the purpose of having different users profiles set up who each create their own documents folder and then not use those??? Or is it possible you would have to install the game for each profile separately (and choose to install for that profile only)? That would be nuts!

Just thinking it through if one user plays the game, logs out and then the other user starts playing it would they be playing in the same hood and could mess up each others plans? Can't imagine letting anyone touch my game EVER *lol*

#26 18-12-2019 
(18-12-2019 03:01 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  If you start windows from Hattie's account, and then run the game as Hattie, it should actually find Hattie's folder, regardless of where that is.
If it does not properly do that, then I'm at a loss. I'm sorry.
Yep. That's where it stands. When I run the game from Hattie's account, it saves to my/Admin C:user/docs, not her D:Docs.

(18-12-2019 03:12 AM)Lucydique Wrote:  ...Just thinking it through if one user plays the game, logs out and then the other user starts playing it would they be playing in the same hood and could mess up each others plans? Can't imagine letting anyone touch my game EVER *lol*
And this is why we have separate PCs! LOL! I like to play things a lot more realistic, whereas Hattie tries to make every sim look like Godzilla *shudders*

I don't know why it's not working. But, as I said, the 'sharing' of the EA Games folder will work... it's just not a very neat/pretty solution. *sigh*

#27 18-12-2019 
OK, this could mean that Microsoft and EA don't see eye-to-eye on the way this should work. Now that is nothing new, considering we're talking about Windows, here! Only a system like Unix/Linux would do that stuff correctly. But when you're using Windows, separate machines for different people is indeed always the preferred choice.

#28 19-12-2019 
OMG! It was the #@$%^blasted*%#@$ UAC that was causing all the troubles! Dodgy
It kept insisting that I put in my password to start the game - which would've been very annoying to have to run over to Hattie's PC every time she wanted to play - so I decided to try and kill that (for this program only.) After reading many "It can't be done" posts, I found this one: https://mynuuo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti...ic-program
It WORKS!!! ...and not only did it make it so I don't need to enter my password every time - the game now generated a new EA Games folder in Hattie's D:User/Documents.
Celebrate Celebrate Celebrate
I think I'm done here.

Thank you all for thinking with me Heart

#29 19-12-2019 
(19-12-2019 05:49 PM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  OMG! It was the #@$%^blasted*%#@$ UAC that was causing all the troubles! Dodgy

<...snip...>

Celebrate Celebrate Celebrate
I think I'm done here.

Thank you all for thinking with me Heart

So, you got it to work after all with the separate Documents folder... Great job, Cat. I'm proud of you. WELL DONE!

#30 28-12-2019 
hi i've recently got a new gaming laptop. However i get a directx error when i try to launch sims 2 UC i've tried add the cards to the sgr file here's my cards are at the top here's what i did

Attached File(s)
.txt  document.txt (Size: 15.92 KB / Downloads: 254)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option