New Machine troubles - Thank YOU!!!
#1 14-12-2019 
Hi all ya'll *waves* - Thank YOU for trying to help Blush

Our daughter is getting a new PC for Christmas - and I'm setting everything up for her now.
It's Windoze 10 - I know, I know...
This is the machine she's getting: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-gaming...Id=6363858
In a nutshell: ASUS - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

I'm attaching the NVIDIA system info
Her config log
and the GraphicRules/VideoCard sgrs that I tried to make work.

I finally got the display resolution to correctly set - it's 1920X1080
And, I haven't done the 4GB switch yet, but I'm prepared to do it. That was next on my list, in fact, but I thought I'd check to see if the black box/shadow was going to be a problem (since I was in -game setting the resolution.) *sigh* I went to visit the Goths... they were flashing blue - all but their faces - spinning in circles with their arms sticking straight out. And, the control panel didn't have their faces, just empty boxes. Then, when I tried to exit without saving back to the 'hood, the application crashed. I loaded the game again - and it did it again.

I used the Graphics Rules Maker - the video card is on the list even though it says <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>

This is the Sims 2 UC download from Origin.

Help?

Attached File(s)
.txt  NVIDIA System Information 12-14-2019 14-38-32.txt (Size: 3.46 KB / Downloads: 321)
.txt  HATTIE-ROG-config-log.txt (Size: 9.49 KB / Downloads: 310)
.zip  Rules-n- Cards.zip (Size: 11.79 KB / Downloads: 307)
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#2 15-12-2019 
Please defer to the regulars of this forum for the initial help and not the link below first. That said, if you aren't able to get it working with their advice by Saturday, would you look at my guide? I'm writing this reply early before you have exhausted their advice rather than after because we have a little over a week until Christmas Eve to get a computer working and because I might forget to post on Saturday.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.ph...ost5572927 .

Windows 10, RTX 2060, 6GB VRAM. Those are known to have issues and the current commonly accepted approaches on this forum haven't had the best track record to address that particular setup. Up until Q3 of 2019, they were considered lost causes. Up until!

If you have any issues, please do not hesitate to follow the Discord instructions in the guide and hit me up.

#3 16-12-2019 
Graphics Rule program is rubbish for Win10, wish people would stop using it. Anyway, your video card is entered incorrectly.

You have card 0x1f08 "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060" and it should be card 0x1f08 "GeForce RTX 2060"

In line 46 of your graphics rules add seti textureMemory 4096

#4 17-12-2019 
Thank you - Both!!!
This is the first Win 10 for me... I resisted a loooong time *sigh*
I will repair the error and try again.

OK - the graphic card no longer says <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
But, now I can't get the 4GB patch to work - I'm attaching the new config log below...
I tried a 4GB patch AND downloading the NT Core CFF explorer - going in to change the LAA flag myself. Neither worked.

Thank YOU!!!

Attached File(s)
.txt  HATTIE-ROG-config-log.txt (Size: 10.29 KB / Downloads: 285)
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2019 01:28 AM by CatherineTCJD.)

#5 17-12-2019 
(17-12-2019 12:06 AM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  This is the first Win 10 for me... I resisted a loooong time *sigh*
and you gotta shiver with every update hoping it won't destroy anything. I personally turned off all updates can't take the stress anymore! If I weren't so lazy I would just go back to an older windows. Wish you the best of luck and hope you/your daughter willbe able to play!

@HugeLunatic is there an alternative for Graphics Rules Maker without needing to be an expert at those things?

#6 17-12-2019 
Well... Until her birthday at the end of March, she doesn't have internet privileges - so, once I get her machine set up, we should be good for a few months at least. *I hope!*
If this machine just can NOT do the sims, I think she'll survive (me, I wouldn't!) But, she does have a lot of fun with them... so, if I can make it work, I'd really like to.

Thank you again for all the help! Angel

#7 17-12-2019 
(16-12-2019 10:20 PM)HugeLunatic Wrote:  Graphics Rule program is rubbish for Win10, wish people would stop using it.

Ah, finally a supporter! Thank you, Lunie Heart!

(17-12-2019 01:15 AM)Lucydique Wrote:  and you gotta shiver with every update hoping it won't destroy anything. I personally turned off all updates can't take the stress anymore!

I've had auto-updates destroy one or two things before, and stopped trusting them ever since. And that was with WinXP. So since then, every time I install, reinstall or update any version of windows for my own private use, the first thing I do, is figuring out where to find the auto-update settings, and how to effectively and preventatively disable them before they disable me!
I've even heard that some people found their system auto-upgraded to Win10 without their consent. I'm not sure how seriously one can take such accounts, but I'm on Win7, so I'm not likely taking the risk to change that setting anytime soon.

But let's get back to the topic, from which I strayed. My apologies.

#8 17-12-2019 
BO - What are you doing when W7 quits support in mid-January?
My machine is W7 - and I'm worried...

And - is the 4GB patch not working with W10 a 'thing'? I don't have any compatibility set. *grrrr*

#9 17-12-2019 
I'm on Win7 and have no intention of upgrading any time soon. I will just ride it out.

#10 17-12-2019 
(17-12-2019 05:35 AM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  BO - What are you doing when W7 quits support in mid-January?
My machine is W7 - and I'm worried...

I do nothing. As long as I don't turn on windows auto-update, my machine will continue to run Win7. It's not as if M$ can remotely make my machine fail. I'm not worried about it at all. Really, it's not a problem!

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option