Graphics cards problem
#1 26-01-2020 
  • Registered
Hi!

I'm frustrated. I had endless problems with running Sims 2 on my dedicated Nvidia card. I have both Intel and Nvidia cards. The game says they aren't in database, even if they are. The game ran perfectly just a few months ago, it has some problems but when they occured, I just deleted cache files and it helped. But now it's different and I can't find any way to make it work.

Things I've done:
- tried running on both: Nvidia and Intel. Results: on Intel the game boots up, but when in neighborhood choice screen it instantly crashes with invalidarg error. On Nvidia it doesn't even try to boot, not giving ANY response, not throwing any error.
- I changed the preferred graphics processor to nvidia but it just doesn't work. The preferred one is STILL intel. I can't change it. I don't know why. It just doesn't work.
- I deleted cache files, deleted The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection in Documents folder (I thought that it's maybe cause of mods but it turned out that the game won't even try to recreate the folder once it's deleted.)
- tried running it in administrator and compatibility mode with no results.
- used Graphics Rules Maker with no results. Every time I use it, it says that it can't find the game folder destination. I dont know if it's normal, but when I give the directory it's alright. Still it gives no results to my game.

I don't know what to do. I'm sorry for any errors or anything, I just REALLY want to play the game. I have my legacy here, I don't want to throw away my precious sims beans.

Thanks in advance and take care everyone

Attached File(s)
.txt  config-log.txt (Size: 8.03 KB / Downloads: 304)

#2 26-01-2020 
Can you also attach your video cards.sgr from your latest EP? Your log says your running Sims 2 bodyshop?

#3 27-01-2020 
  • Registered
Yes, that's because bodyshop actually works with Intel card. But the game itself doesn't. I'm attaching the file, I hope it will help. I changed the extension because it didn't want to attach here.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Video Cards.txt (Size: 25.91 KB / Downloads: 271)

#4 27-01-2020 
Quote: I have both Intel and Nvidia cards. The game says they aren't in database, even if they are.

Well, at least your Intel card is NOT in there, so let us fix that now. Open the Video Cards.sgr in a text editor, and search for the line that says:
Code:
vendor "Intel" 0x8086

Add a new line directly below that, and tpye the following:
Code:
card 0x1616 "Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500"

Then save the file in both the "Config" and "CSConfig" folders. That will at least fix the "<<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>" error.

You mention having used the Graphics Rules Maker, but you don't say what Windows version you are on. If that is Win10 though, then PLEASE do NOT try running that program again, EVER. GRM doesn't work properly in Win10.

#5 27-01-2020 
  • Registered
I have Windows 8.1.

Okay I added it manually to database and I'm attaching the new config log and graphic cards files. The game still won't boot, still with the same message/without any message on Nvidia card.

Attached File(s)
.txt  config-log2.txt (Size: 10.24 KB / Downloads: 277)
.txt  Video Cards (2).txt (Size: 25.91 KB / Downloads: 256)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option