DirectX 9.0c issues (please help)
#1 13-02-2020 
  • Registered
Hello there! I am having an issue and cannot seem to get TS2 to work for my life, if anyone could help me I would be extremely appreciative!
I am new to this website so I have no idea how to send over my graphics rules and video card as it keeps telling ''The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type.''
- but I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, a Microsoft windows 10 pro, my exact laptop is an MSI GS65 Stealth-006 is a 15.6-inch laptop with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. It has 16GB of memory and a 512GB solid-state drive. It has an Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz processor and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 video adapter with 6GB dedicated video memory, and integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630.

Its literally beyond me to edit my graphics rule I just have no idea what to do but I really want my childhood game working in fullscreen like a normal game.
If you could offer any help I would be beyond appreciative, thank you for your time!!

#2 14-02-2020 
  • Registered
anyone?

#3 14-02-2020 
Read the section "Before you post requesting help" at the bottom of this page and do as it says, please. That stuff isnt there for fun; it serves a purpose! You would get help much faster, if you immediately provided all the information that is asked for.

I would suggest, though, that you start by downloading and installing DirectX 11, if you haven't already.

#4 14-02-2020 
  • Registered
I did :/ I'm new here and everytime I tried to upload any form of file I got an error saying ''The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type.'' so I really don't know what else to do, I did leave my operating system and listed my issue I just cant add files I don't know why.
And thanks I'll try that but I believe it's an issue with my graphics rule sgr I'm just not computer savvy and don't know how to properly edit the file.

#5 14-02-2020 
The -config-log.txt is the ONLY file that is asked for. And that file is a TEXT file, which is ALWAYS allowed as an attachment. Anything else is only needed when someone asks for it specifically in a response to your post. And if we *do* ask for an .sgr file, such as Video Cards.sgr or Graphics Rules.sgr, then you can just alter the .sgr extension to .txt for the purpose of uploading. But for now, we don't need any of those files.

And I don't mean to be rude, but as you say yourself, you're not computer savvy. You named this thread "DirectX 9.0c issues (please help)" and I expect that you did this because the game reported a DirectX 9.0c problem when you tried to run it! So for the moment THAT is more important than your opinion about the Graphics Rules.sgr.

Now here is the problem: if you try to install DirectX on a Win 10 computer, the MicroSoft website by default sends you to the DirectX 12 version. And DirectX 12 does not support the DirectX 9.0c functions that the game needs. Also, when you try to install DirectX 9.0c on a Win 10 computer, the installation fails. THAT is why we suggest DirectX 11, because that *can* be installed on a Win 10 computer *and* it has the DirectX 9.0c compatible functions that the game needs.

#6 14-02-2020 
  • Registered
thank you! I will try this now and report back Smile
I still can't get my config log uploaded despite it being a txt file, but I can copy and paste it as a response, not sure if that would help.

#7 14-02-2020 
  • Registered
okay so I'm once again unsure what to do, tried downloading the dang thing and it tells me ''directX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent (I checked diagnostics and I have directX 12) has been installed already. No installation is required.''
looked online and a lot of people are essentially saying I cannot install old DirectX on a machine with a newer DirectX. so not really sure how to proceed.
thanks again for your help I really appreciate you dealing with my stupidity Tongue

#8 14-02-2020 
Okay, now THAT is a problem I don't know how to deal with. I think it's time for us to call for @Kunder's help, because I believe it was he, who told me that DirectX 11 could be installed on a system where DirectX 12 is already present. I have never needed to try this, because I'm still using Win 7, which will work fine with DirectX 9.0c.

#9 15-02-2020 
@ BoilingOil. @ zozeeky.

Unfortunately, BoilingOil is correct. This is a DirectX/Win10 updates issue. The longer it goes, the more you'll find it harder, and harder to get TS2 working on newer hardware, for the same reason he has stated.

I'm personally going to try and dual boot Windows, and Linux Mint, and run TS2 in WINE, or some other way. I've kind of given up getting Win10/DX11/New Hardware, to work together. Someone a while ago, someone made a suggestion to use a certain program, that had a good probability of working. Unfortunately, I don't remember. Maybe BoilingOil does. I, personally didn't have much luck with it. As Win10 updates, it gets a little further away from the ability to run TS2, with each update. Maybe Kiri, knows a way. At this point in time, I'm just an advocate for using a second, older machine for playing TS2. For the first time, I'm kinda' at a loss. Sad

#10 15-02-2020 
I'm sorry, @zozeeky. I *do* know what person and what program @Kunder is talking about, but I don't remember the names. If and when that comes back to me, I will perform a search for them and report the result here.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option