I need help with a bit of a conundrum.
#1 14-02-2020 
I'm building (actually, they're completed, so 'built') two farmhouses. They both use the same fence. This one: Chic Porch Fence by tBudgett on MTS2.

I have my TS2 set up on two computers.
- The Win 7 machine - has UC with my full game(s) with all CC, CEPextras, mods, hacks, etc...
- The Win 10 machine - has UC with empty hoods and just the basic CEP, building mods (like Numenor's wall and open-under stairs) and the no-regen stuffeths...

I built these 2 farmhouses on the Win 7 machine. Packaged them up. Grabbed the extra CC they needed. And, installed them on my Win 10 game.

THE PROBLEM: The fence is invisible. It is invisible on both houses. (Irregardless of the lot-imposter in the pix!)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4021]
You can see the fence on the porch of the house next door, but on the yellow house it is invisible. It is there - you canNOT put down another fence unless you delete the invisible one first. In the catalog, the icon is blank (bottom right) but the description identifies it, so I know that's THAT fences icon. Other fences work fine.

I tried a fresh download of tBudgett's file from MTS2 to the Win 10 machine; still doesn't work. What gives? Why does it work on one machine and not the other? Both machines use the UC. Both have CEP. Why is this fence invisible (and not any of the others?)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#2 15-02-2020 
I would venture a guess that this is one of Win 10's 'features' causing trouble again. Alas, I cannot be more helpful than that (if you can call this helpful at all, that is), because I have no hands-on experience with Win 10 at all. I think you'd do best to wait for @Kunder or @HugeLunatic to have a look at it.

#3 15-02-2020 
My hubby thinks it's something to do with W10 too - but that just doesn't make any sense to me. Why this one fence.
Grrrr *sigh* I shall wait for wiser heads to think on it...
Thank you for hailing them, BO Wink

#4 15-02-2020 
You're welcome, dear.

As for making sense, how about the following: it might not be Win 10 itself, but it might be DirectX related. I expect that you have DX9 running on the W7 machine, and DX11 on the W10 machine, because DX9 will not work there, and DX12 does not have the required DX9 functions. DX11 may be a good replacement, but *good* does not necessarily mean *perfect*. For all we know, this one fence uses something that DX11 does not support properly...

But of course, this is just conjecture.

#5 15-02-2020 
Hmmm... dunno? This was daughter's old machine (that I inherited last Christmas) she's played TS2 on here since 2010 or so, so I didn't even check the DX. I just re-configured what she had to what I wanted, and played away.

OK. Well I ran DxDiag and I may have 12 (or 10 - it says DxDiag Version: 10 at the bottom, and DirectX Version: DirectX 12 in the report)
Report is attached.
So... that may be, in fact, the issue! fishslap

I'm sure if I search a bit, I can find where you recommend for others to go and remedy this problem. But, if you happen to stop by again before I report that it's fixed, would you drop me a link? It's late here, I think I'm done for today.

Thanks again, BO!
...and Happy Valentine's Day Heart

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 67.23 KB / Downloads: 441)

#6 15-02-2020 
I do not recommend anything, dear. I can only tell you to search for "DirectX 11" on the web, and see where Google takes you. And a belated Happy Valentines Day to you too Heart

#7 15-02-2020 
Directx 12 is not the issue and I don't think windows 10 is the direct issue. My first thought is graphical. The driver date on your card is from 2015 while the OS version is from 2019. I would try to update the video card.

While I have the same OS with direct x 12, I do have an older build of windows 10, from 2018. I have feature updates turned paused for 365 days, which I wish I could turn it off. With a pc that is over 10 years old, the new features just slow down my pc.

#8 15-02-2020 
@HugeLunatic An older build of Win 10 makes a lot of difference. At first, it was probably not too bad. The newer builds are much worse. But the old graphics driver is a good catch. That would be a good point to start with, indeed.

#9 15-02-2020 
(15-02-2020 12:48 PM)HugeLunatic Wrote:  While I have the same OS with direct x 12, I do have an older build of windows 10, from 2018. I have feature updates turned paused for 365 days, which I wish I could turn it off. With a pc that is over 10 years old, the new features just slow down my pc.
Sorry for being offtopic here but I use this to completely turn off any win10 updates and it works great for me.

I'm also using those exact porch fences on my win10 without any problems but I don't have UC.
I recently had a problem were modular stairs were not working with invisible icon in catalog they were H&M based and it took me a while to figure out that my AnyGameStarter had renamed that H&M folder during install and then the game didn't recognise ANY of the H&M content anymore (and some other EP/SPs). But the "chic" stuff needs only nightlife or Uni there's not really a reason to rename that even if you should have AGS...
Does this happen with all colors or those chic fences?

#10 15-02-2020 
(15-02-2020 02:43 PM)Lucydique Wrote:  I'm also using those exact porch fences on my win10 without any problems but I don't have UC.
That's good to know.
As both my machines use the UC, I gave up on AGS a long time ago... (it was fun back in the day, though!) I don't feel the need to make things (builds) specific to certain EP/SP configurations any more, so I don't think I'll ever use it again. Which reminds me, I have all the discs, someday I'd like to go back to a disc install again... someday...

I haven't tried the other colors of tB's chic porch fences, but other CC fences I tried (icons pictured above - Numenor's carina fences, a couple of iCad's chic fences, etc) all worked fine.

My system tells me everything is up to date, but I will go see what the AMD site says...

Thank you for thinking with me on this everybody Heart

ETA: Apparently those old drivers are the shiniest available. I completely uninstalled/reinstalled them anyway, which makes them a couple of months younger now (from 8/2015 to 11/2015) But, made no difference in the invisible fence conundrum... *sigh*

Any ideas on the next step I should take?
(This post was last modified: 15-02-2020 09:41 PM by CatherineTCJD.)

Sorry, that is a members only option