sims2 #1
This quick and dirty hack, as requested by arathea, causes step-family to no longer be recognized as such. The effect is that sims can now have romantic relationships with step-family. May have a similar effect on in-laws. The negative side effect is that sims can no longer Encourage their step-children. Other parental interaction based on the step-family check will also be broken.

UPDATE June 4th, 2015: An alternative (alt) version of this mod is now available!
An improvement over the original version:
  • Family interactions between step-parents and step-children remain intact.
  • Step-siblings are no longer considered family, but have the Romantic interations available, if so desired.

UPDATE October 2nd, 2018: There is now a more complete version of this mod: BO - Step-Family Romance (fix).
  • Family interactions between step-parents and step-children remain intact.
  • Step-siblings are no longer considered family, but have the Romantic interations available, if so desired.
  • New feature: this mod includes the In-laws fix as originally created by kestrellyn@MTS2, added with her kind permission. Check her page out for more info.
  • Instead of removing a few unneeded tests, I originally just inverted their results when originally creating the alt version. Again, thanks to kestrellyn, this error has now been rectified.

UPDATE October 9th, 2018: I've decided to also remove the unneeded tests from the (alt) version. For those who want the latest version, but do NOT wish the In-Laws fix.
Because some people prefer it if their sims are still able to woo their in-laws Tongue

An upgrade to the new FIXED or ALT version is highly recommended.

I've used quite a few mods by others, thus taking FROM the community. With the work that *I* create, I'm hoping to give something back TO the community.

Do with my work whatever the &#$% you like. If you re-use, edit and republish my work, I consider it a compliment. Especially if you let me know about it, and mention me in the credits.

But, although I would *appreciate* the note and the credits, if you choose to be a dick and act as if YOU created my mods, there's not a whole lot I can do to stop you, so I won't even TRY.

Enjoy.

Screenshots
BO - Step-Family Romance Screenshot      
Download link
Filesize 301 bytes | File Name BO - Step-Family Romance.zip | # of Downloads 4,919  
Filesize 513 bytes | File Name BO - Step-Family Romance (alt).zip | # of Downloads 2,387
File Updated 09-10-2018

Filesize 541 bytes | File Name BO - Step-Family Romance (fix).zip | # of Downloads 1,502  
Comments
#13 28-09-2018
This mod didn't work for me at all (the alternate version). I imagine I'm having some sort of conflict with something else.....but I have no idea what and I can't get conflict detection to load with Ultimate Collection. Does anyone know off the bat what this might conflict with? I have no other mods like this. I'm going to try to making this load first.

#14 28-09-2018
Okay, here's an update. I got the hack detection utility to work, and it turns out it conflicts with the newer hack, "In Laws Fix" by Kestrellyn (available at MTS2). Damn! It's too bad I can't have both together, but I guess I'll try yours over hers.

#15 29-09-2018
Hi @child_of_air,

Actually, I don't see why one would want both, because just from the name alone, I would imagine the "In-laws fix" should be doing mostly the same thing as my mod.

And if it's not mostly the same, then I can imagine that they MUST conflict, seeing as they would both involve themselves with the non-blood-related portion of a sim's family. It would probably be almost impossible to combine these features.

**EDIT** OK, normally I don't do that if you don't give a link, but I've checked out Kestrellyn's page. She actually says at the bottom of his page that his mod would conflict with other In-law or Step-family related mods, especially those that edit the BHAV 0x0366. And you know what? That is indeed the only BHAV that I mod as well. So it's really her mod or mine, no other options. I'm happy you chose mine, but you must feel totally free to give hers a try as well. Because Kestrellyn is really a good person who knows her business.

#16 01-10-2018
  • Registered
Hi, BO, I think I know what this person wants. Our mods actually do different things entirely, mine does not affect step-family relationships, but fixes a Maxis bug in the part of the function that determines in-law relationships. That bug is still present in your mod - they want your mod, but with the bug fixed. (There is also a minor issue where it looks like you just left in the checks for step-siblings and changed the return value to false, but what you should have done was to just remove those blocks entirely - as written, step-siblings can never be considered in-laws, even if they are married to each other's blood relatives, because those checks come after the step-sibling check.) Anyway, I could release a "fixed version of BO's step-family romance mod" but this seems impolite since you are still active in the community. Fixing the bug is simple - as-is, the function checks if Param 0 is married, and if so, if Param 1 is related to Param 0's spouse. It just needs a symmetrical block where it checks if Param 1 is married, and then if Param 0 is related to Param 1's spouse.

However, and this might change your ideas about how to implement this mod entirely, it is actually possible to have step-family, step-siblings, or in-laws have family interactions like "Family Kiss" and "Encourage" available, but also have romantic interactions available, since the game uses different checks for those two things. My recollection from when I messed around with this is that the family interactions call 0x240. 0x2D5, and 0x1168 in 0x7F739728, which the romantic interactions call 0x2B8, 0x3FB, and 0x101C and 0x1034 in 0x7F739728, but you might want to experiment. (Certainly, there aren't any functions other than the ones listed here that control either family or romantic interactions, though.) If you modify these, your mod will conflict with my extended family mod, however, it should be simple for either of us to make a compatible version of our respective mods.

Sorry, that is a members only option