sims2 #1
This quick and dirty hack, as requested by arathea, causes step-family to no longer be recognized as such. The effect is that sims can now have romantic relationships with step-family. May have a similar effect on in-laws. The negative side effect is that sims can no longer Encourage their step-children. Other parental interaction based on the step-family check will also be broken.

UPDATE June 4th, 2015: An alternative (alt) version of this mod is now available!
An improvement over the original version:
  • Family interactions between step-parents and step-children remain intact.
  • Step-siblings are no longer considered family, but have the Romantic interations available, if so desired.

UPDATE October 2nd, 2018: There is now a more complete version of this mod: BO - Step-Family Romance (fix).
  • Family interactions between step-parents and step-children remain intact.
  • Step-siblings are no longer considered family, but have the Romantic interations available, if so desired.
  • New feature: this mod includes the In-laws fix as originally created by kestrellyn@MTS2, added with her kind permission. Check her page out for more info.
  • Instead of removing a few unneeded tests, I originally just inverted their results when originally creating the alt version. Again, thanks to kestrellyn, this error has now been rectified.

UPDATE October 9th, 2018: I've decided to also remove the unneeded tests from the (alt) version. For those who want the latest version, but do NOT wish the In-Laws fix.
Because some people prefer it if their sims are still able to woo their in-laws Tongue

An upgrade to the new FIXED or ALT version is highly recommended.

I've used quite a few mods by others, thus taking FROM the community. With the work that *I* create, I'm hoping to give something back TO the community.

Do with my work whatever the &#$% you like. If you re-use, edit and republish my work, I consider it a compliment. Especially if you let me know about it, and mention me in the credits.

But, although I would *appreciate* the note and the credits, if you choose to be a dick and act as if YOU created my mods, there's not a whole lot I can do to stop you, so I won't even TRY.

Enjoy.

Screenshots
BO - Step-Family Romance Screenshot      
Download link
Filesize 301 bytes | File Name BO - Step-Family Romance.zip | # of Downloads 4,921  
Filesize 513 bytes | File Name BO - Step-Family Romance (alt).zip | # of Downloads 2,391
File Updated 09-10-2018

Filesize 541 bytes | File Name BO - Step-Family Romance (fix).zip | # of Downloads 1,506  
Comments
#17 01-10-2018
Hi @kestrellyn,

I must have misunderstood the intention of your mod. Sorry about that. But you may also have missed something about mine. The "Alt" version of my mod DOES allow family interactions as well as romance between step-siblings. That's what I released that version for, because that was a known failing in the original.

I looked at the differences between our two mods, and I agree with your assessment that the Step-family romance effect could indeed be achieved by simply removing these four test blocks. Since I *am* officially retired, I think I should not make a lot of fuss about you removing those from your version mod and releasing that as a fixed version of Step-family Romance. If you do so with partial credits to me, and a link to this page, I will update my page to reflect that there is a better version -- YOURS.

On the other hand, I'm also perfectly willing (and would appreciate the gesture by returning credits and a link) if you allowed me to incorporate your fix into my mod. Either way is fine with me. Smile

#18 01-10-2018
  • Registered
Well, from what you clearly state (and from what I can see that the mod does) the alt version does not allow family interactions between step-siblings - instead it allows family interactions between step-parents and -children, with no romantic options for those sims. As long as you are only modifying the step-family BHAV, you can either have one or the other, but not both.

I am fine with whatever you want regarding you incorporating the fix or me making the fixed version. I did not know you had officially retired!

#19 01-10-2018
I will concede that simply inverting the result on those four tests was the wrong way to go about it. And also that without altering other BHAVs, it must always be either family interactions, or romantic interactions, but never both. For my intentions, that was enough, though.

Of course, it doesn't allow family interactions between step-siblings, because that was the point in order to allow romantic interactions! Step-parents and step-children shouldn't be allowed to interact romantically, because that would stand in the way of the familial interactions -- such as encourage -- that would benefit the children's upbringing. Also, it seemed wrong to have (step-)parent/(step-)child romance.

Ok, I'll put the fix in, then. Because, retired or not, I like to pride myself on fixing my mistakes. I'll consider this one of those, and you're the one pointing it out, and showing me the correct path. Thank you!

#20 01-10-2018
  • Registered
Well, technically it was EAxis's mistake (and they had like five years to fix it, and never did...), you just didn't notice it. I probably wouldn't have noticed it either, if I hadn't already been writing family mods and carefully checking what interactions were available.

What I was saying earlier is, it actually *is* possible to have step-siblings have both family and romantic interactions for one another, if you wanted to do that. You just have to take the step-sibling check out of the step-family BHAV and move it to specifically only the BHAVs that get checked for the availability of family interactions. I used this to do an incest hack for someone back on MATY, but I never published it anywhere else.

Sorry, that is a members only option