Resolution won't fix - Win 10 Nvidia RTX 2060
#1 25-03-2020 
  • Registered
Hello,
I seem to be really unlucky with playing Sims 2 on my laptops. First I tried to get the resolution options to work on my older one where graphics rules maker didn't work, tried everything, nothing helped. Now I had to upgrade to a newer laptop and still - it's never fixed with anything I try. Huh Basically, I had directx issues but I fixed those by putting my game in window mode but now the only available resolution is 320x200. Shadows and smooth edges options are greyed out. I'll post the log file here. Any help would be very appreciated.

(I have to run the game as admin, otherwise it doesn't work, and I forced it to be run with Nvidia since I have an Inter card as well.)

Attached File(s)
.txt  PURRITO-config-log.txt (Size: 10.19 KB / Downloads: 311)

#2 26-03-2020 
Sorry to say this but your computer is too new, your graphics card is too modern, and you're running Windows 10. That's three extremely rough hurdles to overcome. More and more people are giving up trying to get TS2 to work on such new systems. Look at @Kunder's recommendations in this section for what kind of system you need to play TS2.

#3 26-03-2020 
  • Registered
(26-03-2020 08:35 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Sorry to say this but your computer is too new, your graphics card is too modern, and you're running Windows 10. That's three extremely rough hurdles to overcome. More and more people are giving up trying to get TS2 to work on such new systems. Look at @Kunder's recommendations in this section for what kind of system you need to play TS2.
Aw. Thanks. Well, I might just give up and free up some space for newer games then. Sad

#4 26-03-2020 
Well, if @Kunder's recommendations are not helpful, you could look around at other sites, or wait for other people here who perhaps have good ideas. Just be warned that chances of success are dropping every day.

#5 26-03-2020 
  • Registered
(26-03-2020 02:55 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Well, if @Kunder's recommendations are not helpful, you could look around at other sites, or wait for other people here who perhaps have good ideas. Just be warned that chances of success are dropping every day.
Yeah, it's too late to choose a different laptop. Tbh I wouldn't have anyway Wink Playing TS2 is not my priority as much as I would like to do it. Maybe I'll just try TS3 for the first time in my life.

#6 27-03-2020 
Just because the game defaults to low values doesn't mean it won't work. I don't know why the only help is to give up and buy a new computer. You could at least try to manually edit the graphics rules.sgr before giving up.

#7 27-03-2020 
  • Registered
(27-03-2020 01:19 AM)HugeLunatic Wrote:  Just because the game defaults to low values doesn't mean it won't work. I don't know why the only help is to give up and buy a new computer. You could at least try to manually edit the graphics rules.sgr before giving up.
I did try it using a few tutorials and it didn't work. Graphics rules maker creates a technically good graphicsrules file but it doesn't solve the problem. I just don't know what else to do.

#8 27-03-2020 
Graphics rule make is very hit or miss with windows 10, no idea why as I have no idea what it's trying to edit. Or where for that matter. Which is why I said to manually edit the files.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option