Sims 2 Disks Not Launching
#1 28-04-2020 
  • Registered
I have tried for close to 8 hours to get my disks to launch and have been unsuccessful Sad I am using Windows 10. For some reason my config-log is not displaying my correct graphics info (attached below)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  DESKTOP-5M268TP-config-log.txt (Size: 9.42 KB / Downloads: 312)

#2 28-04-2020 
My first guess was:
Disk-based game, huh? With at least the Apartment Life expansion... So that means you got Sony's dreaded SecuROM copy protection software built in. And your CD/DVD-rom player is most likely NOT a Sony device, I imagine??? Just in case you forgot - or didn't know it in the first place - you need to search for "SecuROM removal" on the Web.

BUT!!!

When I look at the evidence you've provided: your Device Manager seems to tell us that you have two DIFFERENT Radeon graphics cards in your system?? That in itself is not quite normal for a laptop, but maybe it shouldn't matter. What DOES matter, though, is how it's possible for the game to see an nVidia graphics card instead! That makes absolutely no sense at all!!
Could you please attach a DxDiag.txt? Maybe someone can make sense from what THAT file will tell us.

#3 28-04-2020 
  • Registered
Here you go Smile

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 99.03 KB / Downloads: 317)

#4 28-04-2020 
Thank you, @Smash94, that's helpful.

Oh boy... This file tells us that you have only ONE graphics card: the AMD Radeon R7! That R8 card should not be shown in the Device Manager.
I think you might try to uninstall that card and see if that fixes your issues. I dare not promise much, but one never knows.

#5 28-04-2020 
  • Registered
I have uninstalled all the games and only reinstalled the base game. My boyfriend was messing around a bit and was able to get my graphics card to show in the config-log. I have installed the secuROM, the 4gb patch and Graphics Rule Maker and the game still will not launch

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-5M268TP-config-log.txt (Size: 7.69 KB / Downloads: 298)

#6 30-04-2020 
I am sad, @Smash94. I wanted to try and help you, so I asked you to try and uninstall the non-existing R8 video card from the Device manager.
But instead of doing that, you uninstalled the whole game, installed only the Base Game, and then used the Graphics Rule maker. Why did you do that?

Using GRM is fine if you know what you're doing, and can fix it all without help. But NOT while someone else is trying to help you.
Because the other person has no control over what options you're picking and what GRM is doing with your input.

Also, I worry what you mean when you say "I have installed SecuROM". Our intention is not to INSTALL SecuROM, but to REMOVE it!

I don't know how I can help you if you're not going to follow instructions. Will you tell me what you want me to do, now?

#7 30-04-2020 
  • Registered
Alright. 1: Switchable GPU's. the R7 and R8 are real, disabling may cripple my comp. 2: I uninstalled the EP's so there is less confusion of where the files are coming from. 3: Forgot to type Removal. Ran the removal tool and nothing to remove. Only installed GRM nothing has been changed.

#8 30-04-2020 
You only get Securom from BV and later, base game does not have securom. Having two video cards these days is common, although an R7 and R8 seems odd.

There is an updated version of GRM if you insist on using it, maybe give that one a try as it's "supposedly" works with new video cards. Still need to see an updated config log after manual editing or using GRM. Also, after uninstalling and installing only base game, exactly what is it doing?

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option