Changes to Sims 2 Ultimate Collection files?
#1 08-05-2020 
  • Registered
Hello all,

I just reinstalled the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin. Went into the game files to put new graphics rules files and cleaned up hood and sub hood templates, and everything looks different than before. There’s a lot few files, and most of the template hood/subhood folders are either gone or have nothing but “neighborhood.pmd” files in them. Am still trying to figure out where to put my graphic rules files. I knew that EA had made some changes to the Ultimate Collection when they made made Origin necessary to run it, but can’t find any mention of these file changes. Maybe I’m missing something? Anyone heard anything about this?

Am thinking seriously about trying to track down the original game discs on eBay (man, do I wish that I had kept my originals!) But given that I’m stuck with Windows 10 for other stuff, I may just be trading one set of problems for another. I still love Sims 2, but this may finally be the end..

Thanks!

(Apologies if this had already been discussed earlier and I missed it ...I imagine that you all are tired of endless questions about the Ultimate Collection running Sims 2 on newer systems)

P.s. The idea of refurbishing an older computer and operating system just for Sims 2 is...tempting....

#2 08-05-2020 
@Elidan
I actually DO rebuild laptops to run TS2.

T500, ATI Radeon Mobility 3650.
T420/T420s, nVidia only.
T430/T430s, nVidia only.
T440p/T540p, nVidia, OR HD4600m on-board will work.
W520.
W530.
W540. This one is the best Simming machine out there!

WINDOWS 7 ONLY!!!

#3 08-05-2020 
  • Registered
Thanks, Kunder, that's good to know. Funny thing is, I actually still own a licensed copy of windows 7 (refused to upgrade to windows 10 on my old computer for the longest time precisely because of Sims 2!).

Bought Sims 2 and two expansion on discs on Ebay tonight; I imagine that more will follow. Paypal accounts are dangerous things... Promised self that if I ever get Sims 2 running again properly, I will finally learn how to mod.

#4 08-05-2020 
  • Registered
Update: Looks like I actually have a bad installation, so will be redoing it tonight. Hopefully the above issues are a false alarm.

But I still think that getting the discs and maybe even a dedicated simming computer would still be a good investment, especially if I get serious about modding.

Sorry, that is a members only option