How to best run the game
#11 10-06-2020 
I doubt the blue screen is due to Windows 10, more likely the under powered laptop. It's only 2ghz with 4gb of RAM, according to Acer website.

#12 10-06-2020 
@HugeLunatic I can't speak to the processor speed, because I think 2GHz should be more than enough. But even on a Win7 machine, 4Gb memory is already on the skimpy side. So I agree that a Win10 system will certainly not run TS2 properly with only that little memory.

But still, considering the issues that many people have with getting DX9.0c compatible support from both Win10 and high-end graphics cards, the poor support for still popular older games; and every Windows update exacerbating the problems, I can understand that more and more people give up on the whole thing.

#13 10-06-2020 
Bless you guys! You're awesome.

@Kunder Forgive my complete dumb-assery but does this mean I would potentially be OK if I buy a Win7 install disk and a key, and fresh install on this laptop (attached)? I do have an older Toshiba Satellite too - but have avoided using that as the screen is hanging by a thread. I find Windows 10 an absolute pig anyway, so it'd be £6 well spent and I'd be glad to see the back of it if so.

I don't need the game to run like a dream, I just want it to be 2009 again Big Grin

Edit: Completely missed the second page, so the above might be a bit moot now as it looks like this laptop might just be a bit too much of a weakling. I can't remember the specs of the Satellite off-hand but will look tomorrow.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2020 10:24 PM by Beckylou67.)

#14 10-06-2020 
Hi @Beckylou67,

Actually, that is not 'complete dumb-assery' at all! In fact, I think it's a smart question to ask. Just getting the materials to install W7 might be more affordable than buying an entire computer.

I realize that I'm not Kunder, and you didn't directly ask me, but I would still like to think that you appreciate my input, and that Kunder might agree with most of what I think of the issue. So here's my take on it.

The thing is that I don't dare guarantee that Win7 will recognize all parts of your system. It might, but it might just as well not. If win7 has worked on that system before, then it shouldn't be a problem at all. The worst thing that might happen, is that it will not work, and that you're forced to put Win10 back on the machine. You'll have wasted money to get a Win7 install set for naught.
But if it does work, the 2GHz processor will most certainly have an easier time off it, and Dx9.0c will install without problems on a Win7 system. The 4GB memory will still be a bit of a bottle-neck, but with Win7 being a much lighter workload than Win10, perhaps the memory problem could simply be solved with a 4GB swapfile/virtual memory. And then TS2 might actually run not all that badly at all!

But be careful: if you DO get the system to run with Win7, do NOT go online unless you've disabled windows auto-update first. Otherwise the system may try to automatically update you to Win10 again, thereby undoing all your work!

#15 11-06-2020 
Of course BO Smile Any input greatly appreciated.

I’m going to give that a go first. Will report back in a few days.

Thanks guys.

#16 11-06-2020 
@BoilingOill

@Beckylou677 STOP!!! STOP!!! STOP!!! STOP!!! STOP!!!

No. Don't even try it. There's a few reasons.

Your Acer, is "Apollo Lake" technology, and Win7 has NO support for it at all! No drivers at all in Win7 for this machine!

This computer has an "N" processor, at 1.1Ghz.... WAY too weak to play TS2. Believe it or not, it has less power than the old, Core 2 Duo, processors!

The video, is HD Graphics, 505, no Win7, or DX9c, or DX11 support at all. This was designed as a Window 10 machine only!

The video is WAY too weak to play TS2. Think 1/2 as fast as HD4000m, which only works, with some effort.

Trying to install Windows 7 on it, will cause you a MYRIAD of problems. DON'T DO IT!
Even if you DID manage to get TS2 running on it, you will eventually BRICK YOUR MACHINE!!! Trust me. I Bricked an Asus K53e, with an i3 processor, and HD3000m graphics, trying to run TS2. BOTH, a lot more powerful than what you've got! Fortunately, the K53e, has a socketed processor, and I was able to replace it.... YOUR'S DOES NOT!

What country are you in, BeckyLou???
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020 01:47 PM by Kunder.)

#17 11-06-2020 
@Beckylou67

Tell me about your Toshiba Satellite. I need the model number off it. I can tell you how to best proceed with it.

How did TS2 run on it?

I had a Toshiba Satellite 755D, with AMD A8 processor. It ran TS2, just fine.

If it was like mine, you CAN run it with an external monitor.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020 11:09 AM by Kunder.)

#18 11-06-2020 
Oh my goodness, @Kunder, thank you for jumping in at the right moment, there. I did mention that I could not guarantee success, but I was unaware of how much damage it could do. Thanks to you, though, disaster averted! Thank you, man!

Also, my apologies to @Beckylou67, I could not have known how dangerous that was...

#19 11-06-2020 
@BoilingOil
No problem. I just hope she comes back here, before doing anything rash! There are other things to consider too. You have to change some things in BIOS, and disable secure boot in a newer machine, just to be able to load Win7. Not to mention that Win7, is MBR, and Win10, is GPT. They're incompatible. You can do this, but it's a little more complex, than a novice can tackle. You'll need to re-allocate, and re-format the disk, in order for it to work. You'll lose everything, unless you made an image before. However, even that image won't work, unless you re-format the disk BACK to original configuration, or install a new, unallocated disk.

This is because Win10 uses a different format, and the UEFI. I REALLY dislike UEFI.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020 01:46 PM by Kunder.)

#20 11-06-2020 
Hi Guys,

Don't panic! Nothing done yet Smile I'm not that speedy. I went off to do some googling and figured it was a bad idea given I wasn't sure the Acer had ever run anything other than Windows 10. Thank you for confirming this was the correct choice!

Satellite's spec is attached and it has previously run Win 7. I don't remember how the game ran on it as it was so long ago now, but this was my only comp back then, so it must’ve been OK. It was purchased in 2011. I didn't realise it had 8GB Ram either - thought it was 4GB, so now feel like a bit of a tit for struggling along with the Acer for so long, with this sat in a cupboard!

Do we think this should be all good to run the game (or an improvement, at least) if I do a fresh install of Win 7?

@Kunder I'm in the UK.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020 11:07 PM by Beckylou67.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option