I have tried everything and I don't know what to do...
#1 05-09-2020 
  • Registered
Hi! I'm on Windows 10 (unfortunately), running the Ultimate Collection through an *ahem* securom-free crack, with a Nvidia graphics card. I have DXVK + the 4 GB patch installed and about 10 GB of CC.

my problem? the game keeps CTDing. repeatedly. At complete random. I've switched between CC folders (I have a couple themed games) and it's crashing to desktop in every single one of them. It's CTDing no matter how much or how little CC I have, at seemingly random. I've noticed it tends to happen when my sims go downtown/to community lots and/or when I'm buying clothing, but it's happened in the middle of gameplay too.

I've tried everything I can think of - graphicsrules.sgr, installing DXVK, installing the 4 GB patch, and even buying and installing more RAM. I'm at the end of my nineth wit. You guys are the experts- please help?

Attached File(s)
.txt  OWNER-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 15.24 KB / Downloads: 248)

#2 05-09-2020 
(05-09-2020 01:06 AM)asimplevamp Wrote:  ...no matter how much or how little CC I have
Just to be sure - it still crashes even with no CC?

Cuz that ^ may be a different issue than what I know about...
From my experience, I can tell you: I have twice the RAM you have, and I can only use less than 3GB CC (like, 2.43GB? I forget right now) before my machine starts crashing.
My thought would be that you need more RAM (and less CC - LOL!)

#3 05-09-2020 
Your config log shows you do not have the 4gb patch applied, and your texture memory is only 1000mb.

#4 05-09-2020 
  • Registered
....welp. That first problem is now fixed! I think the issue is that I forgot to install the 4 GB patch after *ahem* uninstalling SecuROM, if you know what I mean.

As for the second one- DXVK recommended that you only set your texture memory to 1000 MB. I checked the guide again to make sure I didn't miss a step, and they said that if you make some tweaks to graphicsrules (such as... well... increasing the amount of texture memory) you should be able to use more CC with your game, even on Windows 10. So, that's been done. >.>;

I've tested it with no CC *but* with mods (stuff like... y'know... anti-redundancy) and I *was* still getting crashes, though since then I've learnt I did have some mod conflicts I needed to sort out.

If I keep getting crashes after fixing the texture memory and the 4 GB patch I will do a proper 50/50.

#5 05-09-2020 
  • Registered
Aaaaaaand now there is egg on my face. I reinstalled the 4 GB patch and now everything is working fine. My sims can make over their homes, buy clothing, and even go to community lots without the game crashing.

Thanks, HL. I don't think I would have caught that on my own.

#6 06-09-2020 
Glad it's working! I have no experience with the dxvk thing as I have an ancient pc. But the this: https://episims.tumblr.com/post/19097029...d-me-with, where it suggests you can increase your texture memory to the size of your virtual memory, does make sense to me.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option