Tried just about everything to fix this game, nothing works
#1 15-09-2020 
  • Registered
Hi, forgive me if this isn't in the right spot here, but I'm actually beginning to lose my mind.

I've been playing TS2 for a solid year now on a gaming laptop that has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (4GB), 8GB RAM, and an Intel i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50ghZ. During these 12 months I've encountered the pink flashing and crashing and I've been helped by several forums on what to do to fix it.

Except nothing, and I mean NOTHING has worked. I used DXVK - which made it worse. I switched to a Windows 7 PC for a while but it crashed all the time, even with all the same fixes I used for W10, so that was money wasted. I tried the game on a W7 laptop and things were horrendously slow. I couldn't even move the camera. Switching to a dual boot with W10 + Linux. Linux didn't fix it. Two new tweaks that came with the new Graphics Rules didn't help it EVEN though it did for quite a long time. I was shocked, especially since I wrote a guide including those and several people came over and thanked me because I'd saved their games (and not mine). Setting my texture memory from 512MB to as high as about 20,000MB, increasing it and decreasing it to a precise number each time something went wrong. Still, flashing persisted. The 4GB patch does it's thing, however, my config log has always looked like this:

MEMORY: 4096MB
FREE MEMORY: 1904MB

I have gone from tiny folders of CC likes 2GB and maybe 3GB to 15GB - and what's odd, is that my game was much more stable with 15GB of CC than it was with 3GB. People tell me that it's my CC causing the flashing so I have to remove it but honestly... I can't imagine playing TS2 without CC. I see people with much better graphics cards than me with huge CC folders and their games work fine. Someone told me that the more video memory you have on your graphics card i.e 8GB, the harder it is to get TS2 to run. Yet, they manage to fix theirs.

I don't understand it anymore and I'm close to letting go of this game. I don't want to because it brings me great joy, but I'm worn out and far too exhausted to have to hold my breath every time I load up buy mode or CAS in fear I'm going to lose the stuff I just worked ridiculously hard on because of the obnoxious crashing.

Anyway - to conclude, what I'm trying to say is that I've spent valuable time and money trying to find a way to fix this and none of these solutions have worked in the long term. Is there anything I'm missing/haven't tried?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

#2 15-09-2020 
Hi,

I do not really understand how TS2 on a Win7 PC can keep crashing for you. For a couple of years now, I've been running TS2 on a Win7 PC with i5-7500 @3.4Ghz, GTX1050 and 16GB RAM, and I have no problems at all! I have a slightly different processor and more RAM, is all. So your game should work.
But then, you also say you used ALL the same fixes you used for Win10, so now I'm wondering if maybe that's the problem. Some of those fixes may not be meant for use with Win7.

But I must honestly say that I don't know how to help you fix it anymore.

Now, there's one thing. This IS the right section for asking questions like yours. But you DID make an error. You failed to attach your config-log.txt file! Before anyone is able to see what's going on, and what needs to be done to fix your issues, you NEED to supply us with that file. Even with that file, we cannot guarantee success. But without it, there is no way that anyone is able to even TRY helping you.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option