New Install: Game Crashes on Launch
#1 27-09-2020 
  • Registered
Hi, I just got a new PC and reinstalled Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. I'm trying to get it to launch but clicking the executable only causes my screen resolution to change briefly to what I presume is 800x600 before the game simply crashes.

https://i.imgur.com/h0yTbwv.png

Not sure what to do. I tried adding my graphics card to the video card file but it didn't seem to help.

Running Windows 10.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-HJ13DS6-config-log.txt (Size: 10.07 KB / Downloads: 255)

#2 27-09-2020 
Well, adding the video card worked. It just doesn't help with your crashes, because the video card isn't the cause of your problem.
What *is* the problem, still remains to be seen. Could you attach your Dxdiag.txt?

At least, I've already seen that the game thinks you have only 1GB of memory. It will not run with that little. You need to run the 4gb patch.
Also, the system thinks you have 1744MB of video memory, which is probably incorrect.

#3 27-09-2020 
  • Registered
I tried running Graphics Rules Maker to fix my problem, and now have an entirely new problem where this message appears whenever I tried to launch the game.

https://i.imgur.com/g1zGc7A.png

I Googled and did the 4 GB patch, but it didn't seem to help.

Attached dxiag and my log file again in case something changed.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-HJ13DS6-config-log.txt (Size: 6.17 KB / Downloads: 236)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 81.02 KB / Downloads: 272)

#4 27-09-2020 
  • Registered
This is pretty much the issues I had when I got my new PC too. I also have a RX 5700, and adding it to the Video Cards and fixing Graphics Rules did not do much. I also tried installing Directx using the web installer from Microsoft to see if it filled any gaps.

I got the game to launch using DXVK. Maybe try this thread. It worked for me - my game now runs, even in windowed mode (which was initially not working for me and resulted in the Directx 9.0c error). If you are using Graphics Rules Maker, maybe try the non-DXVK fix first (mentioned at the top of the thread I linked). However, Graphics Rules Maker does seem to sometimes mess things up, so be wary.

#5 28-09-2020 
(27-09-2020 03:04 AM)TechMoogle Wrote:  I tried running Graphics Rules Maker to fix my problem, and now have an entirely new problem where this message appears whenever I tried to launch the game.

Really? What was your thinking, there? I TOLD you the video card was fine. So then you decided to add a new problem?
Sorry, but you're on your own now, because I don't know how to fix this anymore.

Happy Simming.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option