Double Deluxe + Uni -- graphics won't update
#1 28-09-2020 
  • Registered
1. I hope this is the requested config log?
2. Windows 10 on a Dell if that matters
3. I've been playing Sims 2 Double Deluxe for about 6 months with no problems. When I was finally able to gain access to my expansion packs again, I started by installing University. It was quite difficult and required me to do a total reinstall (several times). Finally I was able to get the two games to recognize each other and the University features showed up with my saved games intact.

However, I cannot seem to fix the graphics this time around. There are minor problems, like continuously glowing money trees and flickering that are only minor annoyances. However, the game crashed after I had played it for a few hours, although it saved with no problems throughout.

I have been working through many tutorials to fix the problem and update the graphics, but everything is made more confusing by the multiple folders in Double Deluxe. I have installed the 4gb patch, run the graphics rules maker, and done various fiddly things with moving files onto the desktop. So far nothing has helped me change the memory reading on the log. I am sort of ok with continuing to play like this but I am mildly worried about a catastrophic crash with no return... Please help me! It would be most helpful if you could explain everything like I am 5.

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAPTOP-H7R7DGK6-config-log.txt (Size: 10.64 KB / Downloads: 233)

#2 28-09-2020 
I am certainly NO expert - but I looked at your config log, and have a question...
If your system has only 2gb RAM (2048 Mb)
Then why did the GRM force the texture memory to 4153 Mb?
I think that would be enough to cause your computer to have a fit right there... Huh

For the record - my Win10 machine is a Dell Desktop (with an AMD video card), and I play the UC with no problems at all.
Also - be aware that the GRM is known to cause problems with Win10, if you're not super careful.

Quote:Memory: 2048MB
Free memory: 2048MB

=== Graphics Rules Maker Configuration ===
Force texture memory: 4153 Mb

deviceLocalVideoMemorySizeDefault 59768832

#3 29-09-2020 
(28-09-2020 03:25 PM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  If your system has only 2gb RAM (2048 Mb)
Then why did the GRM force the texture memory to 4153 Mb?
I think that would be enough to cause your computer to have a fit right there...

Actually, if the video card itself has sufficient memory to support 4GB of texture memory, then this would not be a problem.
To be absolutely certain, we would need to see the dxdiag.txt.

#4 29-09-2020 
Ah... see I told you I didn't know nuthin' Blush

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option