For Sims 2 - do I want an i5, i7, or i9 chip?
#1 20-10-2020 
I seriously need a new computer - to replace my Win 7 Dell desktop. It is having all sorts of problems. They are all different, but go something like this:
I get a critical error on boot.
Boot in safemode, read the report, research the problem, do the 'fix'.
Then it boots normally and works fine for 2 - 3 days (with absolutely no errors.)
...Then *sigh* we do the whole dance over again with a different issue/error code.

So... I'm starting my research on what to buy.
- I think I remember reading that the chip makes a difference for playing TS2. Do I want an i5, i7, or i9 chip?
- I know I want as much RAM as possible - what is the highest amount that can be put in a new computer these days? My Dell is maxed out at 8gbs.
- I want a NEW machine *sigh* so I will have to go with Win 10 (I hate W10 on sooooo many levels, but I can't get an UNused PC with W7 can I?) - W10 is iffy for TS2, I know. But many have absolutely no problems with it. I think, if I get the right equipment/machine, it should be OK.
- I already have a nice 750watt PSU that works fine. I have a new GPU (the GPX 1050 ti with 4gbs extra RAM.) And I have a new 1tb HDD - I'm thinking all those can transfer to whatever new machine I buy. Right?

I am just starting to search. I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty good at researching/sussing things out.
I've got time, but not a lot of money. So I need to make the best choice I can. Any advice or reference material you can point me towards will be welcome Big Grin Thanks!
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#2 20-10-2020 
I'm running well with an i5. But a very important thing, when selecting a processor, is to look at the 4 digit number after it, and especially the first of those four. Mine is an i5-7500, which makes it a 7th generation chip. The higher the generation, the better it is supposed to be.

But what is also important: I don't know if i5, i7 and i9 chips all use the exact same socket. And the socket is motherboard specific. So if they all require different sockets, you'll be limited by what fits your motherboard. Or you must buy a motherboard fitting the processor of your choice. And that may influence the type of memory chips you buy, as well.

The amount of RAM that can be installed, is also dependent on the motherboard, by the way. Some can handle more than others. But for TS2, 16GB should suffice.
Every part of the computer you design, has its consequences for some of the other parts, and also for the total amount you're going to spend on it.

#3 20-10-2020 
I think it is probably my MoBo that is slowly dying - hence the thought to buy a whole new machine. I'm not building the machine - been there, done that - a looong time ago - and I don't remember a thing about it (except that it was very nerve-wracking!)
Anyway... So, whatever I buy will have it's chips and sockets already matched up/figured out for me (I assume.)

Wait!
What you are saying is - verify that my old RAM sticks will work before sticking them in a new motherboard? Yes. I will definitely check that first.

Good to know your i5 works well for TS2. And thank you for info on the chip's generation information.

#4 20-10-2020 
I'm actually saying that there is not even a guarantee that the old RAM sticks will even FIT in the new mobo. The standards for parts change fast, and new mobos are designed to fit the newer standards.

#5 20-10-2020 
Got it. Thanks. I'll get new RAM with the new machine. LOTS of RAM Wink

#6 20-10-2020 
Yes. I think that might be the wiser choice, provided that your budget allows it.

Of course, if you know the specific types and models of the parts that you are currently using, and you wish to reuse as much of them as possible, you could always ask the salesman (provided you're actually going to a store, and not buying online) to advise you on options to get a new mobo that is compatible with those parts. There is a drawback, however: if any options even are available, they will be scarce. And they may restrict options in other fields as well. For example, the mobo that fits your RAM sticks, may limit your options for CPU models and video cards. And because your mobo was selected to fit your old RAM, it is not compatible with newer RAM, and it's hard to find more RAM of the old type, so adding more is not an option... So now you have a new mobo, but because you're forced to reuse your old CPU and video card as well, you're still on the old machine with no more ways to upgrade!

I guess you see where this is going, right? Often not worth the trouble, unless you're specifically looking for an older model machine like the ones that @Kunder is offering. And even that has its limitations.

When the built-in network and sound chips on my old mobo started failing, I was put in a similar position. I had hoped to simply replace the mobo, but something that was compatible with all my older parts was simply no longer available. I ended up buying everything new as well!

#7 21-10-2020 
Thanks for the thoughts... I actually want an all new machine - with stuff that isn't going to die on me within the next 3+years.
I just really hate Win10! (I'll have to destroy Cortana and IE and OneDrive... *sigh* Tinfoil hat firmly in place!) Is there a way to get a completely new machine - with lots of RAM, of course - that has Win7?
Can I just buy the disks and install it over 10?

#8 21-10-2020 
If Win7 disks are still available, you *could* do that. But don't you already have one? The only problem is, however, that at some point in the near or somewhat farther future, you will no longer be able to find Win7-compatible drivers for the new hardware, and then your system is going to die, unless you install Win10 after all!

Anyway, I did it differently: I got a cloning program - I used clonezilla (live-version), but there are others -, and used that to copy my Win7 installation - including all the programs that I had already added - from the disk on my old machine, to the disk of my new machine. The hardest step after doing this, is: going online and finding/downloading drivers for the new hardware. Because the system will work, but some things may look, sound or feel a bit off. Updating the drivers will fix that, usually. But again, driver availability for Win7 may kill you eventually.

And about clonezilla live: it's free, and it fits on a 250MB USB-stick. So you probably do not even have any sticks that are too small for clonezilla! The trick is to - temporarily - install both the old and the new hardrive on one system, and then boot from the USB-stick. Then use the program to clone the old disk to the new one, remove the old disk and the stick, and reboot! Really, if both drives are SSDs, this takes not even ten minutes. I can tell from experience, because I've done it twice so far!

#9 21-10-2020 
Good to know! Thank you for this extremely useful information Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option