How to make TS2 read Dedicated Graphics Card?
#1 04-12-2020 
  • Registered
Hi! This is my first time posting here, and I have been able to fix my game before thanks to all the tips shared on this forum!

I do have one question though. I have the Ultimate Collection through Origin, Windows 10, and I'm running it with Sims2RPC-launcher by Lazy Duchess (from Tumblr). I think I managed to use the Graphic Rules Maker correctly and the 4GB patch is applied, but my Config Log displays my integrated graphics card (AMD Radeon™ Graphics) instead of my dedicated GPU (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti). Is this normal? Or is there a way to make the Config Log say/recognize the Nvidia card? When I used the GRM it did ask me if I wanted to add both cards (the integrated and the dedicated), and I did confirm that. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have only played TS2 with integrated card before, and now I finally have better dedicated graphics card and I would love to be able to use it correctly.

I will attach my config-log file, in case someone could take a look at it Smile

.txt  LAPTOP-02T6KCV7-config-log.txt (Size: 10.63 KB / Downloads: 283)

#2 04-12-2020 
Yup, this kind of graphics-misconfiguration is quite normal for those who use GRM under Win10. Even if you use the program properly, that doesn't mean that the program will work correctly.
(But I'll also gladly admit that I'm not a great fan of GRM)

#3 04-12-2020 
Typically you'll need to use the software that came with your better graphics card to tell the dedicated GPU to be used when running the Sims executable - Sims 2 is so old it doesn't know how to detect and switch to the newer cards, but you can tell the card/os to do so. I don't have the Nvidia software, but for AMD Radeon, after you've started the AMD app, it's under Gaming -> Games -> Add a Game, from where you browse for the .exe file and add it. Then when you start the game, the GPU/os will switch over to the better card.

#4 04-12-2020 
Try running it again and tell it to only use the dedicated card. If that doesn't work, follow whoward's advice.

#5 04-12-2020 
  • Registered
whoward's tip helped me, thank you! I feel a bit dumb for not trying to do that before and just trying to rely on GRM, but oh well... Now my config-log says my dedicated card instead of the integrated one Smile The game did give me an error first for "Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! The application will now terminate", but that was my fault for not removing the userprops.xml -file from my Config-folder first. Now the game opened and seems to be working! Haven't tried to run the game for long/with CC installed, but hopefully it will run alright, hah.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies! <3

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option