Unable to play on laptop with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design
#1 28-01-2021 
  • Registered
The title says it all I suppose. I have a Lenovo Legion with Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q and 32 gb RAM running on Windows 10 Home and despite trying every possible fix, the game won't run. I get the following error unless I'm running the game in windowed mode, in which case the game ctd's while loading neighborhoods:

"Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate. "

I've been trying to get this game to work on and off for a few months now with no success so I'd love some help. Thanks a lot in advance <3

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAPTOP-AK1MR9HL-config-log.txt (Size: 10.33 KB / Downloads: 234)

#2 28-01-2021 
I have that same card (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q) - my new laptop is an HP/Omen.
My game runs fine - but it did take some setting up Wink

Have you tried the NEW Graphics Rules Maker? (Not the old one - it doesn't play well with W10!)
It looks like the game isn't finding your ram - it says you've only got 1024mb. And your graphics card isn't in the database. The GRM will help with both those issues. Directions for it are at the bottom of it's page.

And, are you on a disk install? Origin? other?
Have you done the 4Gb Patch yet? (learn more about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg)

Good luck!

#3 29-01-2021 
  • Registered
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply @CatherineTCJD ! I actually did a fresh install right before writing this post so I forgot to check if the 4gb patch was installed correctly, apparently it wasn't Big Grin

I'm uploading my latest log file, I also did the Graphics Rules Maker (I forgot saving it last time), still can't see it in the log file, is that normal? The Graphics Rules and Video Cards files look fine (also copied them to CSConfig as well) I wanted to add them to this post as well but I'm unable to.

Unfortunately no good news, my game still isn't working, I get the same error again and again.

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAPTOP-AK1MR9HL-config-log.txt (Size: 10.28 KB / Downloads: 214)

#4 29-01-2021 
Now it's saying the wrong card: GeForce 7800 GTX
Make sure your OS is using the correct card for the game.
You'll prolly have to add the card with the GRM too.
Don't give up! Big Grin

#5 27-02-2021 
  • Registered
So, sorry for the super late response but I was very busy with school and I practically gave up trying to get Sims 2 to work, up until now! I randomly got a reply to this same question I asked on Reddit months ago, apparently the problem was my screen refresh rate being fixed to 144 Hz. I used CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to lower it to 60 Hz, did the usual fixes (4gb patch & Graphics Rules Maker) and now the game's working wonderfully!

I wanted to update this thread so that if anyone's having similar problems, they can try this. Also, thanks a lot for your help and patience @CatherineTCJD ! You're the best!

#6 27-02-2021 
I'm glad you got it working! Thank you for updating with the solution - hopefully others will benefit too Wink

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option