Screen flicker when rotating camera up/down/left/right - CD - Win10
#1 16-02-2021 
  • Registered
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
GPU: RX 5700XT
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Running off my main hard drive, Win10 64-bit installed on here too (1TB SSD)
Monitor resolution: 2560 x 1440
In game resolution settings: 1600 x 900 (this is the second highest option, first is 1600 x 1200)
Vanilla game

Hey guys. I’m having a few issues with my game:
  • Screen flicker/flash (I'm not sure what the term is) whenever I rotate the camera, video
  • As you can see in the video above, when the game is ‘paused’, my female sim 's hair suddenly becomes a crew cut style.
  • Edge scrolling is fairly smooth aside from very minor screen tears.
  • Please help me get the game running at 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440 (preferred)
  • In the config log you'll see that the game is only using 2GB memory instead of 4GB, despite me using the prepatched exe 'George' as found in this reddit post.
  • Not sure if I need to change boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager from false to true in my Graphics Rules

Steps taken:
  1. I have all the expansions, used Holiday Edition to install BG, and installed according to release date. Patched each relevant EP/SP before installing the next one.
  2. Removed Securom with Securom Remover Tool + Trashreg
  3. Replaced GraphicsRules.sgr + VideoCards.sgr in Config and CSConfig folders with the attachments below, and also added my gpu to Video Cards. I obtained these sgr files from Leefish (location: Program Files (x86) > EA Games > The Sims 2 Mansion > TSData > Res)
  4. Added 'd3d9.dll' to TSBin folder as instructed here
  5. Ensured all GPU drivers are updated

Please let me know if I need to attach/include more information. Vadish Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  lulu-config-log.txt (Size: 10.18 KB / Downloads: 206)
.txt  Graphics Rules.sgr.txt (Size: 33.44 KB / Downloads: 209)
.txt  Video Cards.sgr.txt (Size: 22.97 KB / Downloads: 209)
.txt  Sims2EP9_d3d9.txt (Size: 72.66 KB / Downloads: 216)

#2 16-02-2021 
For starters... your log says the GPU the game is using is the GeForce 7800 GTX
And you're Texture memory: 1744MB (which I think could be higher?)

I'm not an expert on this stuff - you may want to wait for wiser minds to chime in...
But, meanwhile - check your machine's graphics settings, and make sure the right card is pointed toward TS2.

#3 18-02-2021 
  • Registered

Oops thank you for pointing that out! I didn't even think to check that the right GPU is being used. I only have one GPU though, so I'm not sure where the game is getting the 7800 GTX from...
Do you know how make sure the correct GPU is being used?

#4 18-02-2021 
I use Nvidia cards - so I use their app. Did your card come with a control panel of some sort?
In mine it asks:
1 - select the program from the dropdown list
2 - choose integrated graphics, or specific GPU

... I remember I had to specifically set mine to get it to work. Good luck!

#5 20-02-2021 
It's displaying the 7800 GTX because you are using the DXVK fix. This is normal and is mentioned in the documentation. As long as you have that dll in, it will say that and no amount of editing files or using the control panel will change it. To fix screen flickering, you just need to turn edge smoothing on in game.

As for the 4GB patch, have you made sure you're not running in compatbility mode? If you have, even once, then you need to download and replace the exe again, then create a new shortcut to run the game from.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option