Windowed game is locked to my native resolution since I config'd Loading Randomizer
#1 05-03-2021 
  • Registered
I'm having a bit of a tricky one and I'm hoping that I'm going to explain it right because I can never seem to report my issues clearly haha.

I play my game windowed and use the Borderless Gaming app to achieve borderless winowed mode. I also use the Sims2RPC executable by LazyDuchess (this comes with its own borderless windowed support but I prefer the method I already use, so I just set my game to windowed in Sims2RPC settings and let the BG app do its thing) - I'm just adding this for full disclosure I don't think to be a part of my problem.

I wasn't having any issues with this set up until I briefly tried out gckp's Loading Randomizer tool a few weeks ago and during the configuration I ticked a box that comes up at the end that said something along the lines of "Tick this if you run the game in windowed mode" and it also asked me to manually input the resolution I play in. I'm guessing it was so that I would keep those settings when I launched the game through the Loading Randomizer executable.

Well - since ticking that box, my windowed game has suddenly become locked to whatever my native native display resolution is no matter what I try to change it to in game. If I change my native display resolution, my game changes to that one and stuck on that resolution instead. Say for instance my native screen display resolution is 3840x2160, my game will visibly stay in that resolution even if I select a different option from the in-game graphics settings and confirm the changes. The settings will reflect that I made the change but the change doesn't actually happen. Relaunching makes no difference. I have tried launching the game through the original SimsEP09 exe, the Sims2RPC, the Loading Randomizer exe (which I don't even use anymore, I had to reinstall it just to try that) but the same thing happens with all of them.

Does anybody happen to know off the top of your heads what it is that this option would have actually changed in my game files? I've not been able to work it out and I'd like to try to reverse it if possible. I messaged gckp on tumblr in case they knew but I haven't heard back yet.

I'd be very, very gratetful for any tips or ideas because I'm not very confident about fiddling with my GraphicsRules.ini just in case I cause an even bigger problem.

#2 07-03-2021 
Hi @LeMurphs,

Since the above clearly reads as a graphics/technical issue, I've moved it to out of the Discussion section and into Graphic Cards, where it seems more in place.
This notice is not to berate you or make you feel bad about misplacing it (because I'm not even sure if you did), just to make you aware of my decision to move it.

I would, however, request that you read the little bit titled "Before you post requesting help" just above the input box, and try to comply with the rules laid out there, because that would help people trying to find a solution for your problem.

#3 24-03-2021 
  • Registered
Hi, sorry for the delay I've been a bit ill. I've added the .txt copies of the config files requested, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm using Win10 and I play the TS2 UC, everything is fully up to date.

As described before, I wasn't having this issue with my windowed game being locked to my screen resolution until I ticked a box in the Loading Randomizer setup that presumably forced something for it to do so.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, it's not the biggest issue but it's a bit of a pain to have to manually adjust my screen resolution ahead of every time I want to play The Sims 2 and it's probably something fairly small I can change myself, I just don't know what/how.

Just to note - if anything looks wrong/off about my Graphics Rules settings, it might be a hangover from when I was following a thousand different guides trying to get something or other to work. I'm not very knowledgeable about how to configure this file outside of what advice I'd read.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-DPFR0P1-config-log.txt (Size: 10.37 KB / Downloads: 215)
.txt  Graphics Rules.txt (Size: 33.43 KB / Downloads: 227)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option