4gb patch issues - all help appreciated!
#1 02-02-2022 
  • Registered
Hey fellow Simmers!

Haven't been able to play this game in over a month and i am having withdrawals! hopefully you all can help out a simmer in need.

i have tried a host of different options. currently having an issue where the game has crashed shortly after:
- moving a family in
- simply loading a family; usually it just crashes out but sometimes it'll lag for hours
- being in CAS for a long time. (i lost SOOO MANY awesome sims)
- loading a lot and going into the catalog (build/buy, no difference)

i have updated my video drivers previously, the intel graphics card was not recognized. did the graphics rules maker and then transferred the video cards/graphics cards files into my respective bins (i'm running off of the discs so M&G is my latest version) and i just had yet another letdown.

i have compressorized my cc folders, removed any corruption with the hood checker, used the clean installer to find dupe GUIDs and did the 4gb patch for the millionth time and the only thing that has improved is that my intel graphics card is now readable. i am still stuck at 3976 MB each time. i really have no idea if it's a sneaky piece of cc at this point (i am NEVER going to the sims resource again) or if i'm just overlooking something.

i am running on windows 8.1. let me know if there's anything else i can try! thank you all. happy new year (even tho its feb)!!

Attached File(s)
.txt  YOURMAGICISREAL-config-log.txt (Size: 15.22 KB / Downloads: 151)

#2 02-02-2022 
Hi @sweetbabygirl, could you run DxDiag, and attach the DxDiag.txt, just like you did the confi-log.txt? Because I want to see WHY your system does not have 4 GB available. It seems like there is just no more than 4 GB of RAM in your computer, and if that is the case, running TS2 is going to be very difficult no matter what you do. You would need to have more RAM installed to make it work.
Anyway, I need to see your DxDiag to make sure if that is your problem.

Oh, little info for you: if you were to play the UC, M&G would STILL be your latest version, because they never made any more Smile

Good luck, and hopefully with our help, soon again Happy Simming,
~ BO

#3 23-03-2022 
  • Registered

hi, fellow helpful simmer. when life gets in the way, it really gets in the way.

here is my dxdiag. let me know what i can try when you get a moment. Smile

thanks again.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 89.19 KB / Downloads: 129)

#4 24-03-2022 
Hi @sweetbabygirl,

I'm afraid that things are as I expected. Your system has no more than 4GB of RAM memory, so even when the 4GB patch works, your game does not get the full 4Gb of workspace. Less the amount of "shared memory" used as Texture Memory for the built-in graphics card. Which results in too little memory for the game with all its expansions to run in.
If the game worked well before, then I suspect that you might actually have 2 4GB sticks in there, but one of them has died on you.

I'm curious if @HugeLunatic might notice something I've missed, because there is nothing that I see I could do. @Kunder and/or @celebkiriedhel might have been able to help you coax a little extra out of your current hardware, perhaps. But alas, those members are rarely seen active here, nowadays.

Otherwise, you may need to have your laptop looked at by a professional who could add or replace some memory. You need at least 8 GB of RAM and a dedicated Graphics Card with at least 1GB (preferrably more) to run TS2 effectively. If the dedicated Graphics Card is not an option, then I would suggest you have the RAM upgraded to 16 GB. Either way, throwing some money at this machine might fix the problem.

I'm sorry that I can't do anything more positive for you.

Good luck,
~ BO

#5 24-03-2022 
  • Registered
Ah, that's totally fine and something I figured. It was running just fine beforehand but not sure if the system updated itself or something.

it's an older machine so I can definitely look into that. thank you for responding a month later lol i super appreciate it.

have an awesome day. Smile

#6 24-03-2022 
Windows 8 probably needs 2-3Gb of ram, M&G needs 1Gb, so with only four you are left with enough ram to have about 1Gb off cc. :/ Best suggestion I could give is to play with no cc. If this is an older laptop, you may also want to adjust system updates. Example, mine is set to ignore "Feature Updates" because my pc is too old to benefit from MS so called "Features".

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option