4GB Patch not working - Game keeps crashing
#1 09-03-2022 
  • Registered
So last week I had my game crash twice in one day, I checked the config log file and realised my free memory was lower than 4096 MB (which surprises me because I did apply the patch when I installed the game). Ever since I've tried everything I've seen - applying the patch a couple more times, George, tweaking stuff in GRM and reinstalling but my free memory is still is low and my game just crashed again. I've had this laptop for almost two years and everything was okay (or fixable) until now. Please help.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 138.46 KB / Downloads: 165)
.txt  DESKTOP-18QCVSL-config-log.txt (Size: 10.62 KB / Downloads: 152)

#2 09-03-2022 
I think I see a number of issues with your configuration, @imnotcat.

First things first. The 4GB patch does NOT make extra memory. It just sets aside 4096 MB of your actual free RAM for the game to store its data in.
According to DxDiag, your graphics card has 2033MB or onboard memory. That's a strange number, so let's make it 2048. Your config-log.txt, however, says that you have 6972 MB of texture memory. That means, it uses 4924 MB of your free RAM.
Then, Windows (plus background applications) and the game itself also need approximately 2048 MB (I'm guessing, here, but I can't be far off).

So, right now, we're using 4096 + 4924 + 2048 = 11,068 MB of RAM memory, whereas -- according to DxDiag -- the computer has only 8,192 MB available.

Do you see the problem? After loading windows and the game, and setting aside Texture memory, there is simply not enough FREE RAM available to give the 4GB patch the 4096 MB of memory it needs. THAT is why the config-log shows you don't have 4GB.

Now, you do have a page file (swap file, virtual memory) set, and that file is quite large. But I'm not sure that such a large file doesn't make your system work unnecessarily much harder, and makes it less stable, too.

My tips:
  • first, lower the Texture Memory to a reasonable amount for your computer: 2048 MB
  • then make the Page file a bit smaller... Half of what it is now, should still be enough

I think this should make your game run a bit faster at least. And if the hairs and the outfits your sim ladies wear, are not too large in file size, you shouldn't have any more crash problems, either.

But, I'm not the only guru here, so wait to see what others have to say about this as well. There are some people here who are smarter than I in matters like this. So please hear them out. And if their suggestions contradict mine, follow THEIR instructions first, and try mine only as a matter of last resort if nothing else works.

#3 09-03-2022 
Your config shows you are using integrated graphics, while your dxdialog shows you have a dedicated gpu, 1650. Try forcing the game to use the dedicated instead, using whatever that nvidia tool/app is called. I would also drop your texture memory down to about 4096 as the dedicated gpu only has 3962 of dedicated memory.

#4 10-03-2022 
@HugeLunatic That's a good one. I hadn't even seen the different video card. And with that one, Texture Memory could indeed be twice the amount I suggested, which is an improvement!

Yes, @imnotcat, follow this one, and then still just halve the page file.

#5 11-03-2022 
  • Registered
Thank you both for replying so fast Smile @HugeLunatic @BoilingOil
-I tried switching to my dedicated graphics card but for some reason the free memory is still low (as low as 1296 and no higher than 2000 something)
-How do I halve the page file?
The odd thing is previously I'd get 4096 both for memory and free memory after the patch on this same laptop, I don't know what happened Sad

#6 11-03-2022 
  • Registered
Update: just put my files in the EA Games folder again (except for CC so I can load it faster for testing), went in game and it crashed whilst trying to load a household. Log file says free memory was 420 mb... *upside down smiling emoji*

(11-03-2022 01:41 AM)imnotcat Wrote:  Thank you both for replying so fast Smile @HugeLunatic @BoilingOil
-I tried switching to my dedicated graphics card but for some reason the free memory is still low (as low as 1296 and no higher than 2000 something)
-How do I halve the page file?
The odd thing is previously I'd get 4096 both for memory and free memory after the patch on this same laptop, I don't know what happened Sad

#7 11-03-2022 
Hi @imnotcat,

Of course we try to help as soon as we can. No need to thank us yet, until we've fixed your problem Big Grin
Whenever you change something, would you please upload the newest config-log.txt file, so we can see what has happened? Otherwise, we have no clue how to help.
I do have an idea what's going on, but I'd rather be sure before I say anything.

#8 12-03-2022 
  • Registered
Here is the latest log after my last attempt last night

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-18QCVSL-config-log.txt (Size: 10.61 KB / Downloads: 142)

#9 12-03-2022 
Ah, and there we have confirmation of what I thought...
Code:
Texture memory:  6972MB

I am not surprised that it still doesn't work. You did NOT listen to either @HugeLunatic or myself when we told you to lower the size of the Texture Memory. This 6972 MB is STILL eating away at your total RAM memory, which causes the system to have too little ram for the 4GB patch to work.

Please run the GRM and do as HL said; lower your Texture Memory to 4096 before trying to run the game again. That should fix the problem.

Happy Simming,
~ BO

#10 12-03-2022 
  • Registered
Oh sorry, I had it at that then changed it, must've forgotten to change it back. I'll try again.
Regardless, I just played for about half an hour and it worked fine, I was able to quit on my own without it crashing, even though free memory indicates 1660 mb Huh
I'll update on how it changes when I run it at 4096 mb.
Thanks again.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option