game randomly crashing- access violation
#1 14-07-2022 
  • Registered
My game randomly crashes with no freezing or random stutters beforehand, so it plays just fine and then suddenly crashes. Afterwards it generates sims2exception log, and the exception i get is: "0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION" (i attached the exception and config log below)
it crashes in any hood (or cas) and anywhere, nothing bad happens beforehand its really random.

i tried replacing the graphics card and video card files,
tried playing with a new clean sims 2 documents folder,
tried using graphics ruler maker,
tried playing with a new neighborhood,
tried https://episims.tumblr.com/post/19097029...ed-me-with <---all of these fixes,
tried adding seti texturememory based on the memory on my graphics card, and then based on virtual memory
i am pretty sure the 4gb patch i have is working.
id appreciate any help!<33

Attached File(s)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2022.07.13 15.22.58.txt (Size: 19.96 KB / Downloads: 157)
.txt  REV-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 15.34 KB / Downloads: 169)

#2 14-07-2022 
You groups.cache is probably not a problem here, because issues with that file often won't even allow the game to start. But I'd still put it out there: do you at least occasionally delete groups.cache?
This file gets corrupted when you add, remove or update mods. Deleting it will simply cause the game to generate a new, uncorrupted copy.

Right now, I'm thinking you're overdoing the Texture Memory setting. Like 14152MB is REALLY excessive. Limit it to 4096MB, and it might work just as well, but reduce the data traffic stress on the game.

Apart from the above, which are probably NOT the main issues, nothing stands out to me right now. maybe having a look at your DxDiag.txt would help. Have one of those for us?

Happy Simming,
~BO

#3 15-07-2022 
  • Registered

Hey BO, Thank you for responding! <3
I have deleted the groups.cache file before, but I deleted it again today and I changed the texture memory.
Unfortunately though, it's still crashing. I've attached my dxdiag.txt.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 109.22 KB / Downloads: 148)

#4 15-07-2022 
Hi @bunnciato,

Don't worry about it. We do what we can to help.
Yeah, I was afraid that it might not fix the crashing yet.

Thanks for the DxDiag, that helps a bit. And I *do* see something VERY odd now:
Your config-log indicates that the game sees a "GeForce 7800 GTX" graphics card,
but your DxDiag indicates that you have TWO "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti" cards.
I have no idea how that's supposed to work, I'm guessing it's NOT supposed to work at all, this way. Maybe THAT is the reason the game shuts down...

Could you please add a new config-log, though? It's a good idea to do that every time you've changed stuff in the config, just so we can see the most recent version that the game is working (or not working) with. I also hope that there are others watching this thread, who can say hwo to fix this, because I can not, alas.

Happy Simming,
~BO

#5 15-07-2022 
  • Registered

Hmm.. for a second I thought maybe that has to do with the graphics rules maker? I let it auto-detect, so I just checked out the graphics rules maker and in device info it detects NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.
I'm pretty confused as to how my game ended up confused over my graphics card, because i've played ts2 perfectly fine on this pc before. I had to format my pc however and I reinstalled ts2 and made sure all my mods are fine n such.

Attached File(s)
.txt  REV-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 15.31 KB / Downloads: 120)

#6 15-07-2022 
It's that blasted DXVK-whatever... we've discussed it on here before. It sets it to the GeForce 7800 GTX for some reason.

You may want to read through this thread for more info: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9776
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2022 03:17 PM by CatherineTCJD.)

#7 15-07-2022 
  • Registered

Hey Catherine! Thanks for your response. I had dxvk thing because of reshade, so i removed it, tried to play again but I still face crashes. Here's the updated config if it helps:

Attached File(s)
.txt  REV-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 15.33 KB / Downloads: 128)

#8 15-07-2022 
It's recognizing your right GPU now, so that's good. Does the crashing happen in a brand new (freshly generated) game without any CC?

If you rename your current EA Games folder (like to: EA Games - current) and the press play, the game will generate a brand new folder. Try that and see if it still crashes.

#9 15-07-2022 
  • Registered

Thank you so much! It worked! and thanks @BoilingOil for the help! >_< can finally go about playing!

#10 15-07-2022 
You're most welcome @bunnciato, but actually, @CatherineTCJD has done the most work.
Anyway, I'm glad you can now play normally again, the way it should be for all TS2 fans. That's why we help.

Happy Simming!
~BO

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option