How Do You Play?
#1 14-08-2011 
I have since long discovered that when it comes to open ended games like the Sims 2 I like to play the game the way it was meant to be played, but when I start altering things and the game changes significantly because of it I need to find a new way to keep playing. So with that in mind these are the rules I follow when I play the Sims 2.

The Rules:
  • Aging is off, use cake to age. simlogical
  • Sims should only have children when they WANT them. If they have two and they want more it is the USER's decision.
  • Toddlers only age after they learn their 3 Toddler skills.
  • Children only age when they learn at least LV5 of 3 different skills and must have one friend who is not related.
  • Pets only age if the USER wants to age them.
  • Lifetime Wants should take precedence over USER wants, unless becoming redundant. LTW can be changed using the MOD CLOCK. simbology - college adjuster
  • Teenagers turn into YA if they have LV7 of at least 3 different skills and 3 friends not related to the family.
  • College is a time for experimenting, be creative.
  • if not already engaged after College, try dating for awhile.
  • Sims should not start having children until they are at least LV5 in their careers and have the room to keep the children.
  • Only Romance / Pleasure and Finance Sims are allowed to cheat.
  • Adult Parents only age into Elders when their own children have children.
  • Lifetime Benefits are only to be used when the Sim is an adult or has achieved Perma-Platinum status.
  • Business ideas can be as creative as you like.
  • Every business needs a manager.
  • Not every family needs a business.
  • Try to keep the business within the family.
  • More than one business in a family is only allowed if the business owner of the first business has the "Own 5 Top 10 Businesses" LTW.
  • Picking a Sim's aspiration can be decided in one of two ways; By going by their personality or by rolling a dice. 1 = Family 2 = Romance 3 = Pleasure 4 = Fortune 5 = Knowledge 6 = Popularity
  • Graduation time means everyone leaves college, dormies will not be the same dormies that their parents went to school with. Either drop out or graduate the dormies. Based on relationships of course. Complete strangers don't really count.
  • Only teenagers with good enough grades go to college, not everyone goes to college so the same applies to the Sims.
  • Only rich families get into private school.
  • Try to keep as much Supernatural stuff out of your main neighborhood as possible, unless of course you want it there. I personally like to keep the two worlds as seperate as possible.
I like to think of it as my own personal legacy/challenge lol. Big Grin

#2 15-08-2011 
Well, in order to answer this question I would need to actually play. So I have been.

I made my family and played to see what kind of things were missing.

1) Hmm, I kept aging on (might be a mistake but can always change my mind) as I think its up to me as the simmer to get that kid trained up in time. So far I can't get all three skills with just normal sims and no smart milk etc.
2) STOP WASTING FOOD!!!! Why do they make food for 6 when there are only 2 sims? Do they LIKE leftovers? I installed the food mod from Neder.
3) Why are there no nice coats??? I decided that it makes NO SENSE for my sim to change all his clothes to put a coat on. I may be forced to make some clothing items. I LOVE that peacoat, but my sim is in sneakers. He can't leave the house in different shoes after being on a visit. Its SILLY. I don't take a different set of clothes to go home in when I visit a house. I DO wear a coat to get there though.
4) Grr. Stuff that does not match. Bah. Am just playing, NOT creating, so. But grr.
5) It is UNFAIR that my sim comes home from work at 2am - gets promoted- and so has to be back at work at 9. Thats barbaric. Sim got fired that day. Very sad.

I shall report back with more changes as I make them.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#3 15-08-2011 
I don't nearly play enough, lately. We discussed that earlier: modding takes way too much time.

1. Using AncientHighway's edited version of Monique's Individual Aging mod, I currently switch aging off for playable adults. Other age groups still have to settle for Maxis age durations. Most of my toddlers manage to learn all skills, even without Smart Milk, so I'm good.
  2. I don't consider leftovers to be wasted... My sims just put them in the fridge and eat them later. The advantage is, they don't need to cook every time they're hungry.
  3. Matching stuff: yeah, EAxoids are creepy that way. But creators like Michelle do a lot of good there; I already have so much stuff that now matches thanks to her! Smile
  4. Clothes are hell; I don't worry too much, because there's very little we can do about it.
  5. Anything else that isn't to my liking, gets the s*h*i*t modded out of it!

@Lee: Your sim had to go back to work a few hours later only ONCE. I've had a sim who got home with a promotion and was called on to get back to work within the hour. Then at 2 AM they got home, got promoted again, and had to start at 9 AM the same morning! They were totally wasted, but they made the next promotion, too! The trick there is, that you shouldn't worry too much about Hunger, Bladder and Social, because those are often updated at work. With only half the motives remaining, it's not too hard Smile

#4 15-08-2011 
Yea, on the leftovers - sure, its handy, but then they aren't skilling. I want them to COOK damnit. Smile
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#5 15-08-2011 
For the aging topic the ONLY reason I don't allow them to age is because sometimes I just don't want to let them go, but the more I think about it if they did age then it would be a challenge to get their skills up to snuff according to my rules. I wish there was an age slider like in TS3. I may have to change my mind on the aging.

Thanks to Michelle I find that my stuff is matching more and more so that helps tremendously.

I love leftovers and the mods that improve it's use such as Moghudsons "Simply Leftovers." My rule with leftovers is that say they make food for dinner and save it, they can only eat dinner leftovers at dinner time. That way they'll cook the other two meals. Sure eventually you'll have one of each meal stored away but that just means less time cooking and more time studying lol Wink

Glad that you are playing more Lee!
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#6 15-08-2011 
Well, I may not remember everything but here are a few little things
(no one is allowed to make fun here, are they?)

1) No matter what their zodiac sign ALL my simmies have to be 100% Nice and 100% Neat.
B) They have as their Primary Aspiration is Family (no choice is allowed), their Secondary Aspiration is always Knowledge.
III) I unabashedly use InSIMenator (UV) v2.9 DEST Edition.
d) Smart Milk must have!
5) NO CRITTERS at all - NONE.
VI) No ghosts, no vampires, no werewolves, no witches but I do love Plant Sims, Vulcans and Elves.
g) No sim is allowed to punch or hurl angry words at another sim plus I think it is absolutely ridiculous for a sim to lecture infants or toddlers.
8) I am building special houses with stiles to keep the toddlers and Beck's chickens from wandering out into the road.
IX) I keep Free will OFF but I am starting to take occasional trials with Free Will ON.
j) Aging is done at my discretion, in fact most of the game is under my total and absolute RULE.

You know as I think about it... The way a person plays TS2 may say a lot about their psychological profile. I wish I could be more like BoilingOil but I just can't let go of that much control.

#7 15-08-2011 
Me? Let go of control??? Nonni dear, you have me totally wrong!

But all your sims family/knowledge... and all with max neat and nice, that means they're all attracted to eachother. Yuck, such a lovey-dovey hood must be absolutely no fun to play!

I agree on the no Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves thing. And I also do Plantsims, Elves and Aliens. But witches are an appreciated part of my communities.

I had a hard time letting go of my iron hand, but free will is always ON nowadays... During my first year, it was OFF, though. Ob the other hand, if a sim decides to do something I don't agree with, I'm quick to cancel their crap and select my own.

#8 15-08-2011 
Quote:I had a hard time letting go of my iron hand, but free will is always ON nowadays... During my first year, it was OFF, though. Ob the other hand, if a sim decides to do something I don't agree with, I'm quick to cancel their crap and select my own.

I hear you, and yes, everyone is always nice or Nonni will "put them to bed" forever.

#9 15-08-2011 
I need a few @$$holes around to torment and torture, because sometimes I'm just in that mood, and then I need to vent that negative energy somewhere where no living, breathing human being is going to suffer from it. Sims are the perfect targets in those cases.

#10 15-08-2011 
BoilingOil;8195 Wrote:I need a few @$$holes around to torment and torture, because sometimes I'm just in that mood, and then I need to vent that negative energy somewhere where no living, breathing human being is going to suffer from it. Sims are the perfect targets in those cases.

Oh, yes ~ I have to confess a terrible secret: I like it when the toddlers cry to get out of the crib. I always tell them they will have to quiet down or they will get no attention. Tongue

Sorry, that is a members only option