Sex Pistols set
#11 31-08-2012 
I know a Frances, and she gets quite irate if somebody calls her Francis, because it's a boy's name and she is NOT a boy (and since she just gave birth to her first child I'm quite sure she's correct about that).
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

#12 31-08-2012 
Wikipedia - the most reliable source in the world :/

NixNivis;16129 Wrote:I know a Frances, and she gets quite irate if somebody calls her Francis, because it's a boy's name and she is NOT a boy

I know JUST how she feels Nix Wink
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#13 31-08-2012 
leefish;16122 Wrote:That is true. PS. Francis is a boy's name. I am pretty sure Frances is what you are looking for.

That depends on the language... In Dutch (and probably also in French, most likely the origin of the name), "Francis" is most definitely a girl's name, derived from "Francisca".

#14 31-08-2012 
I am not gonna argue all day but- can we agree that in English (the language of the posts on this board) - that Francis is a male form of the name Frances.

Francisca - yes a girls name. I think adding the ca might do it as Francisco is a boys name. The a or o determines gender.

Also, on the Dutch side - sorry, but I see an enormous amount of misspellings of "foreign" names in Dutch - Maikel springs to mind. Sad

#15 31-08-2012 
You're right about the English version of the name, Lee. But whereas in many cases I prefer English over Dutch, I do *not* see it as the only language solution. Especially with names, I think the origin and the native language *do* make a difference.

Some dutchmen make a mess of things, I agree. They're trying to "dutchify" things, and I think it stinks...

For me, as a dutchman, the boy would be named "Francesco", not "Francisco", by the way. Although the latin version "Franciscus" (shortened to "Frans") would be more common. But indeed; it's a matter of where you come from, what language you use, what origin you take your cues from and several other factors.

#16 31-08-2012 
Its a case of languages varying again BO. Francisco is Italian, Francesco is Spanish Big Grin

#17 31-08-2012 
leefish;16141 Wrote:Its a case of languages varying again BO. Francisco is Italian, Francesco is Spanish Big Grin

You're most probably absolutely right about that. Big Grin

#18 31-08-2012 
You see, I have a big advantage here - one of my Christian names is - wait for it - Frances. So I have had a whole life of my name being spelled wrong Big Grin

#19 31-08-2012 
leefish;16141 Wrote:Its a case of languages varying again BO. Francisco is Italian, Francesco is Spanish Big Grin

*Francisco is Spanish, Francesco is Italian Big Grin

#20 31-08-2012 
Thats what I said !!!!

* leefish shoos Italian users away Tongue

Sorry, that is a members only option