2-Tiled Maxis Blinds
#1 22-06-2013 
I want to make 2-tiled blinds to match the 1-tiled ones in the game. Does anyone know if it's been done already? I can't find it anywhere, so I'm going to start tonight. Tips and tricks are welcome. Its been a very long time since I actually created an object, and I've never tried anything repository, so... *crosses fingers*
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

#2 22-06-2013 
I am pretty sure it has been done - sounds like something joninmobile (the NinthWave) would do. Or maybe they were and site is now gone? Who can tell....

#3 22-06-2013 
Yeah, I thought it would be on his website, but I only found the fitted ones so far.

ETA: There is something at a website called Aussie Topenders, but they're rather clunky and don't pull textures.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

#4 22-06-2013 
Well, make em anyway Big Grin

Tip: What is mapped stays mapped, so of course just reuse the meshes. Scaling should be ok on the cheap blind.

#5 22-06-2013 
Yeah, I got the mesh sort of ready, but I'm working with 3 tutorials at once right now and kinda lost my way. *lol* Maybe I should stop doing these things on a Saturday night...

#6 22-06-2013 
Well, you just made me think of the mesh of the year. Darned Dutch.

#7 22-06-2013 
Ha! I actually say that quite a lot: "And now we wait." Big Grin

But the mesh is ready. Yay! Now I have to figure out the repository part. Gonna do that tomorrow. I might get problems with shadows, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm also contemplating to make another add on later. The original 1-tile is kind of small and doesn't fit all 1-tile windows. I might make another wider 1-tile. I really like those blinds and use them in all my (starter) houses.

#8 22-06-2013 
Grrr... just found out shadows can prevent objects from shifting if the shadow is bigger than the object. (I really hate shadows - they're always giving me problems.) Since I used the 2-tiled mesh from the loft curtains to clone, the shadow is quite big. Deleting the shadow didn't work. I don't see it anymore, but the mesh still doesn't want to shift much. I'm using the MATY mod to shift curtains and stuff.

Now I'm wondering... maybe I should just clone from the one-tile blinds and maybe add a footprint? Never did that one before, so it could be interesting. Or... I could just leave it on a 1 tile footprint and save myself a lot of fuss. It's not like sims are going to walk through it or anything.

Hmm... have to think about it. And maybe get some sleep - I'm tired.

Other then the shifting problem it's finished though. Got the repository stuff working and it all looks decent enough. Cool. Smile

#9 22-06-2013 
You need to resize the shadow, import the blind AND shadow to gmdc and update bounding box.

#10 23-06-2013 
Aha! Thanks. Gonna try that today.

Sorry, that is a members only option