Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#31 28-03-2014 
@namakyori: and still we haven't seen the log file that was asked for several times now Smile

#32 28-03-2014 
It was in my first post. Tongue

#33 28-03-2014 
So it is! I got thrown off by Lee asking about your logs again later. Sorry for jumping the gun. It was my mistake for not doing all the research. Big Grin

#34 28-03-2014 
xD It's all good.

#35 28-03-2014 
OK. I'm just going through the Config-log. txt with the graphic rules now.

I hadn't completely analysed what inateyou's fix was doing until now - I was just happy that it worked.
inateyou's fix actually forces 2 things - one is that all graphic settings are set to hi, but the settings are set up based on the lowest level. This is not really a good way to do it.

Your CPU is reported as "CPU: 2613.800048Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1"
Which is slower than the 3000 needed for Vista machines AND slower than the 2800 needed for Non-Vista machines to be able to do hi settings. So it's not your video card that is the problem, it's your CPU. Also hence the reason why you're flickering - it's working too hard.

The graphics setting is being set to medium because of your CPU.

What was your CPU on your old machine? And do you have dual processors?

From looking at what inateyou's fix does, it sets the graphics details to high, but the processing effects to low. I can organise to do that for your card - but what I'd like to do, is to do it in a more controlled manner, and will include trace in it to see what is happening, so we can tweak it as necessary. I've always been uncomfortable about changes that mess with the condition statements - they stop the graphic rules from protecting your CPU/Graphics card from being burnt out.

Download Graphic Cards sgr fix

How to work this.

1. I have put changes in both the Graphic Rules and Video Card sgr files. Please put them in folders:
\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\Config
\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\CSConfig

2. Open up your game - and check if the problem still exists, or if something else goes wrong. Run it on your Win8 rather than any other compatibility. We'll see if we can just do the flickering problem.
3. Close your game, and upload your new config-log.txt for me. Also let me know what happens. Regardless of whether it works or not, please do this step. It will tell me if I'm on the right track or not because of the trace in it.
4. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work. While I have put a fix in, I have put trace in to tell me some of what's happening that isn't reported in the config-log.txt. To be honest, it's the trace that is important to me, because it's going to let me know what is actually the path that your game/card/cpu combination is walking down.

#36 28-03-2014 
I just woke up not too long ago, but I decided to check out the fix. It seemed to have loaded a little slower than normally, but it's barely noticeable; maybe an extra few seconds.

Unfortunately, the flickering still persists. It seemed to have disappeared, or at least minimized itself while in neighborhood view (yeah, it did it there, but it was a lot subdued compared to on an actual lot). Here's the new config log.

Attached File(s)
.txt  NAMA-config-log.txt (Size: 10.35 KB / Downloads: 592)

#37 28-03-2014 
Thanks. Well the good news is that its doing the new base level fix. Turning off some of the processing in the neighborhood definitely helped then.
You card isn't integrated, so it's not getting pushed into that code (that code is ugly!).

OK, there's a few more things that I can do - so I will go and do my 2nd pass at analysis now, and get back to you later with another fix/trace.

#38 28-03-2014 
Fabulous.

I woke up this morning with a raging migraine, so I may not be doing the next fix until about 2pm my time (really late for you xD). But I'll keep you posted when I do.

#39 01-04-2014 
Sorry about the delay.

Here - Try this one - Download Try2

Changes made:
boolProp disableVSyncSupport true # work around flickering UI
AnimationSamplingLevel $High

#40 02-04-2014 
No flickering on neighborhood.

However, the flickering on the lots still persist, just not as pronounced. Where it would flicker every time I rotated the cam, it doesn't do it as often, and the only time it's truly obvious is when I deleted/added a wall. Actually, this picture is what happens when I add/delete walls.

[Image: annoyingashellbug_zps5e676ea7.jpg]

Good news is we're making progress at least; we got most of the flickering away, if we can fix the issue above, the game will be playable for me (that is, if there's no other issues when I actually play on a lot with Sims on it).

By the way, I can't remember the exact stats on my old laptop, but the card was an Intel 945 GM Express Chipset.

Updated config here.

Attached File(s)
.txt  NAMA-config-log.txt (Size: 10.35 KB / Downloads: 558)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option