Sims 2, Graphics and Windows 10
#271 21-12-2015 
Thank you @leefish , I have already tried the steps in that video, however it didn't work. I am not sure whether it is because I have a Windows 10 laptop and its made for Windows 8, 7 and Vista or what, but it didn't work. Sad

Thank you for trying to help though, any more advice would be much appriciated.

-Jazziey9
Jazziey9, absolutely clueless.Big Grin

#272 23-12-2015 
  • Registered
Hi!
I have a new laptop with Windows 10 on it. Yesterday I installed the game with all the EPs but every time I run the game, it crashes in the first loading screen (after the opening theme). I replaced the Graphic Rules-files but it still won't work.
I don't know anything about computers etc so I don't know if this is relevant, but I installed the game on an external hard drive.
I really hope someone can help, thanks in advance!

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAPTOP_MARLOES-config-log.txt (Size: 10.1 KB / Downloads: 455)

#273 23-12-2015 
TS2 is kind of a demanding game, accessing the disc a LOT. So I'm not sure if running it from an external drive is really the best idea, Marloes. It's possible the drive will be unable to keep up.
If that is the case, the proof of that would be found in a crash-report file.

#274 23-12-2015 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil
Thanks for your reply!
Do you think that's the problem? Because I noticed that in the -config-log it says "Name (database): AMD Radeon™ R7 Graphics <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>" so I thought that there's a problem with my graphic card.
I can't find a crash-report file since I don't get a dialog box every time the game crashes.

#275 23-12-2015 
If there were a crash report, it would probably be in your Logs folder or the Sims 2 main folder. But it's possible that there are none.
The graphics card not being in your DB may indeed end up to be a problem, but I'm not sure if that would cause the game to crash in the first loading screen already.
But then again, I must admit that I'm not the graphics and crashes expert on the board Sad

#276 24-12-2015 
  • Registered
I just recently updated to Windows 10.. andnow when I try to open the sims 2 it says "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have DirectX 9.0c Compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate".

Edit: Nevermind I just had to update my Graphics driver.
(This post was last modified: 25-12-2015 01:02 AM by WinterSimmer.)

#277 25-12-2015 
What does ''force texture memory'' in GRM means? When I put the number that is in Device Info the game shows "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have DirectX 9.0c Compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate". but when I put 64mb the game plays ''normally''..

Is it right?

And I'm having trouble with my screen too, screen flickers upon mouse movement and in some hood decos are appearing spots and squares

I have Windows 10 and Ultimate Collection by Origin and it never happened when I had Windows 8.
(This post was last modified: 26-12-2015 05:32 PM by thomazspears.)

#278 26-12-2015 
  • Registered
Hi there Smile
First of all I'd like to say that if the question is not for this post, please let me know where can I ask for help.
SO the thing is:
Lately I've upgraded to W10 from W7. I installed my TS2 (full collection), but it wouldnt work. The game crashes when i try to enter a household. I get error that the application has been disrupted and will be terminated now (rough translation from my mother tounge).
I thought that this error occurs due to the fact that I am using TS downloaded from torrents (some of my CDs are broken, it's been so many years...) so I got in touch with Origin and they granted me UC. I installed the UC but the issue persisted. Then I tried running with compatibility mode for W8 - didnt work. I reinstalled OS. I installed GRM and changed compatibility to Vista - the game works just fine (except fro black boxes which could be removed just by changing shadows to medium).
Now the most important thing: I restored my old gameplay. Origin assured me that I can play my saved game since I had full collection before and it should be compatible with UC.
Now, after the saved filed were past into TS2UC folder the game again keeps on crashing whenever I try to enter a household. With exactly the same error.
It is very important for me to play my old game, since I started it in 2008 (they were on XP, Vista, 7) and never changed the family throughout the years. Yup, i've got a HUGE family with HUGE family tree. Seriously, I dont wanna loose them. They are my second family. I literally cried today when I thought that I may never see them again Sad
But back to the thing:
1. Is it that I cannot play my game from full collection with newly installed UC or W10?
2. Or is there any fix for that?

I am adding my LOG from W7 (Anna-tosh) and from W10 (toshiba) if it matters

Attached File(s)
.txt  ANNA-TOSH-config-log.txt (Size: 10.35 KB / Downloads: 434)
.txt  TOSHIBA-P750-13-config-log.txt (Size: 10.34 KB / Downloads: 483)

#279 26-12-2015 
  • Registered
Hi - really hope you can help me as I'm not really a gamer and I haven't got a clue about computers or Windows 10!

Have just got a new laptop - it's an HP with W10. I hadn't really thought that my Sims 2 game wouldn't install as I've successfully transferred it from XP to Vista to W7 over the past 10 years or so.

Was having the same Directx9.0c message as lots of people, tried downloading your graphics rules documents but eventually thought I had sorted the problem by changing the target in each game to include "-w" at the end to force it to open in a window, checked each expansion pack and they appeared to load fine.

But I've now realised that they seem to have installed separately - so loading Apartment Life EP8 it doesn't recognise university, seasons, pets etc.

The installer froze each time after it asked me to put in the disc 4 from the original game but i thought i had got round this by closing it down in task manager before it could delete the files.

Not really sure what to do now, was having no success downloading Directx9.0c drivers - none of them seemed to make a difference - and now it appears it could be a different problem anyway.

also i had to change the target EP8 to bypass the launcher as this did not work and just froze because of the graphics issue.

I'd be so grateful for any advice, i feel like i'm getting there but i just don't have the knowledge to work out what's wrong!

thanks xxx

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-24IQ056-config-log.txt (Size: 10.36 KB / Downloads: 461)

#280 27-12-2015 
I'm still not well, and not ready to take up duties on this thread yet, but I hope to be up to it in the next few days. Sorry about all the delays.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option