Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SAYA
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 3656
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Inspiron 3656
Processor AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 2100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.2.0, 6/13/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.15"
User Name SAYA\Bristol
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.7 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

My digital copy of The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection continuously crashes sometimes after some time with game play, and sometimes immediately during loading. Sometimes it says "Outofvideomemory!", a runtime error, or just crashes without specification. I believe it crashes at different times depending on what I set the compatibility to (Windows 7 mode had the longest duration I think). As stated in the title, my Radeon Device ID is 665F and is not listed among the logs you posted. I would like to be able to play the game without constant crashing or having to save my game every two minutes so as to not lose my progress when it eventually does crash.

If it is possible to have a 665F log for my game, I would be very grateful!

Much thanks!

.txt  SAYA-config-log.txt (Size: 7.91 KB / Downloads: 371)

#2 12-11-2017 
@ChiniChani

Here is your video card: download VideoCards-Radeon-665f

However that won't fix your running out of video memory problem (I don't think). You're using my graphic rules.sgr which is set up with 1744Mb of display memory (which is what I had back in 2012).

You need to do a DXDiag and upload it, and I will change your graphic rules.sgr to have the right value for you.

#3 12-11-2017 
I had written a reply to this, but our resident master of graphics has beaten me to the punch. Good job, @celebkiriedhel Heart

#4 12-11-2017 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
I don't understand how I can be running out of memory, saying my computer is supposed to be able to handle something like the Sims 2. Handles the Sims 1 and 4 like a charm (issues with Sims 3, but that's just speed and lag issues, I think there's a fix for it that I can look into, it's definitely not my computer making it slow (could be Win 10 though), and it'll almost flawlessly run other high-end games. Eh. I'll look into it. The log should hopefully deal with the other crashes, at least. The memory thing is less common than the other crashes when using compatibility mode.
Anyway, enough of my rambling, thanks again for the log! And thanks for the information on DXDiag, I think I've heard of it.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes with the log and how my game's behaving if you want.

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 12:07 PM by ChiniChani.)

#5 12-11-2017 
Other games are not as old as TS2, and can work better with W10 and more memory. Because of its age, TS2 sees only 2GB where 16GB is available. That's causing a big part of your problems, I suspect. So I think you need to look at this page: LAG Issues - Possible Solutions, and most specifically check point 3. on the list.

#6 12-11-2017 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil

Alright, I'll take a look. if I play through and there's still quite a bit of crashing, I'll try to get to solving this issue. (Sometimes I feel like I try to fix old games more than play them, and almost all the time I need help, either by just looking something up or formally requesting aid. lol) Thanks! I probably wouldn't have figured that out.

You don't happen to know about lag issues and ridiculously long loading and saving times with the Sims 3 on Windows 10 (or in general, I think I had the same issue with slightly older versions of Windows if memory serves), would you? (I can start a new thread if this gets off the original topic.)

Thanks!

EDIT: Well, it turns out I did have to use the CFF Explorer and lo and behold, my computer didn't know my game could handle over 2GB of RAM. I followed the instructions, hopefully it should work now. (The person who gave the instructions definitely has a... distinctive sense of humor.)

EDIT 2: So far so good... several minutes, no crashing. *knock on wood*

EDIT 3: One full play-through and not a single crash! I hope to God I don't jinx it, but the CFF seems to have fixed the problem! And celebkiriedhel's logs also likely greatly helped as well! My game may even be loading a little faster too (or I could just be excited, or both, I don't know lol). Thanks guys! If there's anything I can do, just let me know.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 03:48 PM by ChiniChani.)

#7 12-11-2017 
@ChiniChani Sounds like things are getting better, eh?

It's not your computer that was unaware of TS2's ability to handle more than 2GB. It was the game itself that didn't know Smile
But for good measure, put your current config-log.txt up, OK? It may help Kiri and me figure out what's going on in case more stuff happens. And, as Kiri requested, also get a read-out from DxDiag, and attach that to the message as well. For all we know, it might help other people eventually. So that's how you reward us for the help Smile

Alas, I know naught of TS3. I've never played that game, and am not planning on ever getting it, either. So, I have never had to deal with its issues either, and can therefor not help you with that. I'm sorry.

#8 13-11-2017 
@ChiniChani

Quote:I don't understand how I can be running out of memory, saying my computer is supposed to be able to handle something like the Sims 2.

Glad that the CFF explorer trick worked.

The reason why it could be running out of memory is because the config-log.txt tells us what the display memory that the game thinks it's allowed to use is. It doesn't use as much as listed (I believe), so setting it to what your video card actually has, lets it use all the display memory it can.

It's the same reason that the CFF explorer trick works so well. Games back in 2004 when Sims 2 came out were still being used with single core CPU, so Sims 2 self-limited itself to a max of 2G thinking it would never need more.

Games that have been created later know how to take advantage of multi-cores and setting the display memory up from the actual PC location which changed sometime after the game was finished. Hence the reason why we need to set up the display memory ourselves.

I've made other changes to the graphic rules as well, because the Intel card and other cards have changed over the years and the information that used to be valid, no longer is. (For example, it used to be that Intel cards couldn't cope with anti-alias at all, and so were automatically set to low res - this is no longer true. On board cards are now as good as the cards that were around by the end of game (2008-2010).)

The DXDiag has the display memory in it. You can update your graphic rules to reflect the correct value from that.

Sims 3 has it's own problems that I can't really fix. For one - it doesn't have VSync in it, so the game does way more work than the graphics card can cope with and will burn it out unless you use the fps limiter. (That doesn't work with the Origin downloadable one). The other big problem with sims3 is that instead of loading up the objects into RAM and processing the game with the values already set, it has CASt that requires the game to calculate the values as it gets there, so it uses up way more CPU on display processing than Sims 1, Sims2 or Sims4 does. The simplest way to cope with lag in Sims 3, is to use little to no CC, have the biggest CPU with the most bang for your buck that you can, use the fps limiter, and don't install all the expansion and stuff packs. Sims 3 was fine for the earlier expansions, but the more it does the more display processing that it requires. It's a real hog. And when it's calculating in excess of 100 frames per second instead of 30 fps, it's doing a LOT of duplicate frame generating.

For more detailed fixes for Sims 3, I would suggest heading to Mod the Sims and the Sims 3 help forum there for people who might know more about it. I stopped playing Sims 3 back in 2010-2012 when I returned to Sims 2 and haven't gone back since.

#9 13-11-2017 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil Yes, definitely, so far. I only ran it once and it was running virtually perfectly. I'm about to run it again soon, I need a well-needed break after cleaning and redecorating my room for several straight hours. But I'll tell you what the second playthrough is like, if it's all good, then I suppose the problem's fixed! But I'll post everything just to be sure. Can I send a picture file of the DxDiag? I can go ahead and send the log.
.txt  SAYA-config-log.txt (Size: 10.19 KB / Downloads: 347)

No, you're fine, I was just curious. I have a friend who knows a good trick, maybe I'll ask him for the instructions soonish... when I can be bothered. I'm too pooped to work out my brain and body right now. lol

@celebkiriedhel I guess it's just a condition that comes with the package, eh? I mean I've certainly dealt with worse, just gets annoying at times. I'm glad there's a solution at all.
Well, as I stated to BoilingOil, a friend of mine has a fix. Yeah it would probably help if I got rid of a lot of CC. I'm a heavy mod player, which may or may not be a good thing, depending. Sims 3 is actually very fun for me and I have nothing to complain about the gameplay, other than limited toddlers, and that I just wish it wasn't so bloody slow. Just love how much you can do in it and how open it is. You would think my graphics card would be able to handle it, but Sims 3 is definitely a piece of work, yeah. I'm probably going to play Sims 3 again in the future, there's a lot of elements I enjoy in it, especially World Adventures and Supernatural. But I could disable some of the EPs when I know I won't use them, it would probably help. There's just so much crap going on at the same time, that's probably what's doing it. That and it's not optimized for Windows 10, so I hear. Then again, what older games are? Right now I'm into a Sims 2 and Sims 4 phase so I'm not overly concerned about fixing the Sims 3 at the moment. Played a little Sims 1 as well lol (which also required some work to get it to even run.). Well, I suppose in my opinion, I think all the Sims series are good in their own right. They each have a special element to them that makes them very enjoyable, and I could play any one of them for hours on end. lol

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. I tend to get in social moods. lol

#10 13-11-2017 
@ChiniChani I'm somewhat confused now. In your first config-log.txt, the game reported that you have 2048 MB of RAM, but in the new config-log.txt, you suddenly have only 1024 MB.
But as long as the game runs normally, let's just assume that everything is OK. Right?

As for your DxDiag info: A picture will not do, because there are multiple screens of information. We would need at least four pictures. But there is a better way: at the bottom of the window, it has a number of buttons, and one should say something about saving all data (second button from the right). If you press that, it will collect all the relevant information and save it in a file DxDiag.txt. If you put that up like you did with the config-log.txt, we'll have all we need.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option