White screen in windowed mode
#1 29-11-2017 
  • Registered
Hello everyone,

I got a new laptop with Windows 10 today and have a problem getting Sims 2 to work. I have two graphics card, NVIDIA GTX 1050 and Intel HD Graphics 630. The game works on the Intel graphics card, but on the NVIDIA it just displays a white screen with the blue Sims 2 cursor. It still plays the sound and I can click on things but it doesn't display anything except the white screen that turns blue eventually.

I haven't tried fullscreen mode yet, but I had the same problem on my old laptop when I upgraded to Windows 10 and reverted back to Windows 7 when it wouldn't start in fullscreen mode after an update. I'd prefer to run the game on the NVIDIA card, but just in case I can't fix the problem, is the Intel card suitable to play? I've already used the graphics rule maker and tried to run the game in compatibility mode.

Edit: I tried running the game in fullscreen mode on the NVIDIA and it seems to work. While I can cope with that, if there's any way to make windowed mode work again, it would be much appreciated.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-CHBSETQ-config-log.txt (Size: 10.18 KB / Downloads: 453)
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2017 10:53 PM by NuclearSheep.)

#2 07-01-2018 
@NuclearSheep Sorry about the delay.

You need new Graphic Rules and Video Cards:

Graphic Rules - NVIDIA - Texture Fix - Max Screen size 1920x1080
Video Cards.sgr - NVIDIA - 1c8d

You don't mention if you use UC or the DVDs.

If UC:

\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\
MUST BE INSTALLED IN BOTH FOLDERS

If DVDs
\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\CSConfig\
MUST BE INSTALLED IN BOTH FOLDERS

This should fix a lot of things. I can't guarantee that it will fix the windowed/non-windowed problem though because that tends to be unfixable. (And I have no idea why it happens on some but not all machines).

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option