Windows 10 (Fall update) plus new install of Origin UC (updated) = Unplayable?
#1 19-01-2018 
Hey, guys. I think I'm having the same problem as these posts:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8249
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8218
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8254
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=606068 (edit: turns out she installed from CDs, leaving this link as possible evidence that this is a Windows update/maybe NVIDIA series 10 problem, not an Origin problem)
Maybe this one too: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=605987

My problems also started just in the past few weeks, after years and years of being able to fix whatever went wrong (often with the help of this site). I'm also on Windows 10 version 1709.

Behavior:

On multiple high-end PCs (see dxdiag; I have access to multiple gaming PCs due to my line of work), TS2 UC, when installed via Origin (meaning their latest patch), simply won't work. It usually crashes before you can load a neighborhood, but sometimes you might get as far as getting one family loaded before it crashes. It's fairly generic "Application has crashed" stuff, but often it takes Windows down with it entirely.

OF NOTE: My home gaming PCs (where I haven't let Origin update TS2 UC to the November (? ish) patch) are fine, despite being up to date on Windows.

I've tried all sorts of different stuff (including, yes, clean NVIDIA drivers and clearing cache files), but to keep this from being too long, here's the most recent attempt:

--Clean install of Windows 10 + all updates
--Clean install of UC through Origin

RESULT: Game gets to neighborhood loading screen, but crashes when you try to enter a neighborhood, requiring a hard reboot of the PC. (You can kind of get back to desktop, but can't access Task Manager to end the process.)

Step 2:

Added appropriate Video Cards and Graphics Rules files to both locations:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
c:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

Also tried multiple copies of the NO-CD exes, many of them linked from this site. The one I've been trying right now looks like this:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe 46,208,224 11/20/2008 00:59 -a--

RESULT: Game crashes to desktop during initial load screens.

ABSOLUTELY NO CC, HACKS, TWEAKS, ETC ARE PRESENT EXCEPT THE GRAPHICS FILES AND NEW .EXE.

Please see attached various files. Audio devices are currently disabled because someone somewhere said that was the 'fix' for this, but I can re-enable them.

Hopefully I'm still overlooking something easy. Willing to provide any additional info.

If anyone is idly reading this, I'd recommend not reinstalling UC under the following conditions:

--From Origin (so fully patched)
--On a new and fully updated install of Windows (1709 & later).

(I originally ended up down this rabbit hole because PC 1 (NOT the PC generating the attached files) developed 'pink soup' syndrome, and none of the fixes around were working. I decided to do a clean install, and that's where everything went to hell. You can read me ranting pointlessly about it over here.)

Edited to add: If it would be helpful, I can set up a different test PC that DOESN'T have Windows 1709 (and prevent it from updating) and try a clean install from Origin. I may end up doing that anyway, depending on how irate I become at this problem. Smile

Thanks!

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 68.04 KB / Downloads: 530)
.txt  redacted-A-NEW-config-log.txt (Size: 10.24 KB / Downloads: 488)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2018.01.19 13.04.49.txt (Size: 520 bytes / Downloads: 521)
.zip  GraphicsRulesVideoCards.zip (Size: 12.51 KB / Downloads: 537)
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2018 09:40 PM by gwynne.)

#2 19-01-2018 
After this post, read a few other threads and did the following:

1) Deleted all cache files and thumbnails that had been generating during earlier attempts

2) Deleted Neighborhoods folder

3) Created a shortcut to the .exe and added -w so I could keep an eye on it better to see when it crashed

Slightly different crash style:

EDIT: Added the exception file that goes with this crash. It's longer than the first one.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  Sims2Exception 2018.01.19 14.07.21.txt (Size: 12.34 KB / Downloads: 522)
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2018 08:45 PM by gwynne.)

#3 20-01-2018 
gwynne - I started a thread on leefish too with a better summary of all the stuff I did, in case you want it, for science. Won't spam your thread except for this post.

#4 21-01-2018 
When you did a clean install of the nvidia driviers, did you use GeForce Experience or install the drivers manually? And how did you uninstall the previous drivers beforehand? Windows built in tools or DDU? I religiously followed the instructions in the video Kiri linked to this time. DDU to uninstall, then manual install of drivers, then reboot twice. Make sure you did custom install and clean install? We'll see if it helps on my end. I'm currently trying driver version 390.65, the current one for my 1060 card. If that doesn't work, I'll repeat DDU/reinstall with an older driver.

#5 22-01-2018 
Quote:When you did a clean install of the nvidia driviers, did you use GeForce Experience or install the drivers manually? And how did you uninstall the previous drivers beforehand? Windows built in tools or DDU? I religiously followed the instructions in the video Kiri linked to this time. DDU to uninstall, then manual install of drivers, then reboot twice. Make sure you did custom install and clean install? We'll see if it helps on my end. I'm currently trying driver version 390.65, the current one for my 1060 card. If that doesn't work, I'll repeat DDU/reinstall with an older driver.

I do manual/custom/clean. (Edited to add for posterity: I don't think this has anything to do with video driver versions, personally.)

New info: I just took a look at when my Windows updated (on my original PC that exhibited problems). My C:\Windows.old folder is dated Jan 11.

Checked my browser history. The first time I googled "sims flashing pink" was Jan 12.

So: Windows runs a big enough update around 6pm on Jan 11 that it creates Windows.old.

At some point on Jan 12 I try to run my game and discover I now have flashing pink syndrome.

The rest of my problems kinda flowed from there.
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2018 10:01 PM by gwynne.)

#6 22-01-2018 
SIGNIFICANT UPDATE

On the same exact PC as post one of this thread, I did the following:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from installer media I made in Aug 2017. I switched off auto updates once Windows was installed. Current version is 1703.
2. Installed Jan 2018 NVIDIA drivers
3. Installed Origin and UC. TS2 can load neighborhoods and lots, no crashes.
4. Installed appropriate Video Cards and Graphics Rules. TS2 can load neighborhoods and lots, no crashes. (Full resolution, smooth edges, etc.)
5. Installed a NO-CD .EXE. TS2 can load neighborhoods and lots, no crashes.

Worth mentioning: I'm not using any '4GB patch' or compatibility mode or w/e.

So ... not really sure what the solution is here. Running without Windows updates/security fixes right now is extremely risky.

I'll let Windows run all its updates now and post another update.
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2018 09:53 PM by gwynne.)

#7 22-01-2018 
Aaaaaand scene.

I let the formerly-working PC in the previous post run all its Windows updates. I made NO other changes. It's now at 1709.

I started TS2. I can get all the way into Belladonna Cove, but when I try to load the lot I've been using for all previous tests (Contender): THE APPLICATION HAS CRASHED.

Le sigh.

#8 22-01-2018 
Restored the test PC to previous build (through Windows' own functionality to do so). Back at 1703. Can load Contender household. I sent him to a Community lot, where he's wandering around now.

#9 22-01-2018 
@gwynne - Thank you so much for running all those tests. For those of us who aren't in your field, forgive the dumb question. How do I roll back to Win 10 update 1703? I have never made a restore point on this machine before yesterday and that one's 1709. Do I need to take my machine in to a shop and have an IT professional do it? I want to have auto updates, but only after the current patch storm dies down and Origin maybe hopefully updates again so stuff works.

[edit] I don't have any Win 10 install media. Sad

#10 22-01-2018 
(22-01-2018 08:49 PM)CatOfEvilGeniu Wrote:  @gwynne - Thank you so much for running all those tests. For those of us who aren't in your field, forgive the dumb question. How do I roll back to Win 10 update 1703? I have never made a restore point on this machine before yesterday and that one's 1709. Do I need to take my machine in to a shop and have an IT professional do it? I want to have auto updates, but only after the current patch storm dies down and Origin maybe hopefully updates again so stuff works.

[edit] I don't have any Win 10 install media. Sad

Hit your Start button/Windows key and start typing the word 'restore'.

You SHOULD see an option pop up that says "Go back to an earlier build". (This is different from the standard Windows 'restore point' menus.) If it's there, it's going to ask you why you want to roll back, and give you some warnings. When it's done, you should be at 1703. That's how it worked for me, anyway. I guess be sure to back up anything important. That was my first time rolling back Windows in this way, but it was fairly painless. That said, it was a recent install so I didn't have much to lose.
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2018 09:58 PM by gwynne.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option