My older laptop (from 2012) on which The Sims 2 worked, passed away!
#1 29-08-2019 
My older laptop (from 2012) on which The Sims 2 worked, passed away!

Hi LeeFishers, and others! Smile

I was wondering if anyone has finally found a solution for The Sims 2 to work on a very recent and very powerful PC (custom-made gamer desktop)?

I have a new desktop since March 2019, and I now need The Sims 2 to work on it, because of the "death" of the laptop...

- Operating System: Windows 10, the most recent Family Edition with the latest updates;

- CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 6-core @ 3.2 GHz;

- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070;

- RAM: 16 Gb.

...according to anyone, is it possible to play one of my all-time favourite games, again, on that PC? :/

Thanks for any answer!

edit: please, let me know if I have to add any other information! Wink
POISSON, proud to be a member of LeeFish.nl, since February 2014... Big Grin

#2 30-08-2019 
@poisson
Not likely. What was the make/model of your old one? Can you afford an older ThinkPad, maybe $200 USD?

#3 31-08-2019 
Hi dear @Kunder ! Smile

I did know that it wasn't possible in March 2019, when I got the new desktop. But as I saw, since then, a high number of new threads on LeeFish.nl about installing The Sims 2, and all the problems related... I then thought that new things and new ways of getting it to work, appeared.

Thanks for your answer; it seems that no new possibility came up...

My older laptop was the following:

*** Acer Aspire V3-772G, with:

- Intel Core i5-4200M 2-core @ 2.5 GHz;
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M;
- 4 Gb (RAM), initially... but I once added 4 more Gb of RAM: then, 8 Gb (in total).

I had also installed Windows 10 on it, but initially, in was Windows 8, then 8.1...

_____

I might buy a new laptop, on your suggestions... But I would prefer a "new", I mean untouched, one... A ThinkPad, why not? Smile

What would you suggest me, in more details, please? Smile

Thank you again! ...Kudos! ...to my dear @Kunder! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

#4 31-08-2019 
For playing TS2? Nothing new comes to mind.

#5 22-10-2019 
  • Registered
Hey,
So I'm playing the sims 2 UC with a NVIDIA RTX2060 and a I7-8700k and everything runs smoothly, I was having some crashes but after applying the 4GB patch to the executable, it stoped crashing

#6 22-10-2019 
@catalincriste

If you've figured it out, PLEASE post the solution! I know SOME new computers MAY run TS2 I've done it a couple of times, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's a hardware issue, maybe not.

@poisson

What's wrong with your old machine, besides the fact it's an older Acer?
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2019 03:57 PM by Kunder.)

#7 22-10-2019 
  • Registered
I am a software developer with some experience in hardware and as far as I can tell the problem has to do with the new Cpu's architecture , especially people who buy Ryzen CPU'S.
For my advice's for people with Intel CPU'S, if you have any non F version of a Intel CPU, you can enable integrated graphics in the BIOS and try to run the game using Intel's integrated graphics.
I've been playing the sims 2 since I was a child, and I never had these problems with newer pcs, after windows 7 I always needed to do that 4GB crap and changing the game's config files (graphic rules and video cards) but it always run smoothly.
I had a friend with a HP laptop that only had integrated graphics, it was a i3, the game would have some wild glitches when moving the camera, she eventually got used to it, but I found out that enabling smooth edges just a little bit, would stop the glitch
Here is my graphic rule file for my RTX2060, should be the same for RTX2070

.zip  Graphics Rules.zip (Size: 7.48 KB / Downloads: 439)

#8 22-10-2019 
Nice! Thank you! I didn't think about that, and you're right. I've only been able to get the Sims 2, working only on the integrated graphics, in certain, newer, WinX systems, and that's why.

It *IS* a hardware issue then. Thank you very much!

(Why didn't I think of that!) Smile

(31-08-2019 06:21 PM)poisson Wrote:  Hi dear @Kunder ! Smile

I did know that it wasn't possible in March 2019, when I got the new desktop. But as I saw, since then, a high number of new threads on LeeFish.nl about installing The Sims 2, and all the problems related... I then thought that new things and new ways of getting it to work, appeared.

Thanks for your answer; it seems that no new possibility came up...

My older laptop was the following:

*** Acer Aspire V3-772G, with:

- Intel Core i5-4200M 2-core @ 2.5 GHz;
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M;
- 4 Gb (RAM), initially... but I once added 4 more Gb of RAM: then, 8 Gb (in total).

I had also installed Windows 10 on it, but initially, in was Windows 8, then 8.1...

_____

I might buy a new laptop, on your suggestions... But I would prefer a "new", I mean untouched, one... A ThinkPad, why not? Smile

What would you suggest me, in more details, please? Smile

Thank you again! ...Kudos! ...to my dear @Kunder! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
@poisson
I recommend a ThinkPad T440p, with nVidia GT730m/Intel 4600m graphics, and Win7.
Or....
W530 (use the nVidia here)/W540/W541, graphics workstation, and Win7/Win8.1.
T430/T430s, with nVidia NVS5200m (T430s), and NVS5400m (T430)/Win7.
T420 with nVidia NVS4200m graphics and Win7.

The W540/W541, with nVidia K2100m, and Win7, runs TS2 best.

Avoid using the Intel HD graphics on the T430/T430s, and T420. They're non, or under performing in these machines, running TS2.
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2019 04:55 PM by Kunder.)

#9 26-10-2019 
(22-10-2019 03:56 PM)Kunder Wrote:  @catalincriste

If you've figured it out, PLEASE post the solution! I know SOME new computers MAY run TS2 I've done it a couple of times, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's a hardware issue, maybe not.

@poisson

What's wrong with your old machine, besides the fact it's an older Acer?

(22-10-2019 04:13 PM)catalincriste Wrote:  I am a software developer with some experience in hardware and as far as I can tell the problem has to do with the new Cpu's architecture , especially people who buy Ryzen CPU'S.
For my advice's for people with Intel CPU'S, if you have any non F version of a Intel CPU, you can enable integrated graphics in the BIOS and try to run the game using Intel's integrated graphics.
I've been playing the sims 2 since I was a child, and I never had these problems with newer pcs, after windows 7 I always needed to do that 4GB crap and changing the game's config files (graphic rules and video cards) but it always run smoothly.
I had a friend with a HP laptop that only had integrated graphics, it was a i3, the game would have some wild glitches when moving the camera, she eventually got used to it, but I found out that enabling smooth edges just a little bit, would stop the glitch
Here is my graphic rule file for my RTX2060, should be the same for RTX2070

Sad I thought that it worked, [I mean, on my newest, most powerful desktop (...the one from March 2019...)], these past few days, after several trials of game sessions, but it completely crashes, each time, after several minutes browsing the Build / Buy Modes, ...or even after renaming one of the three already existing universities (!) (for example)... All this, with or without an error message! I am disappointed. Sad Any idea of what is happening, any other solution, @catalincriste , @Kunder , or anyone else? Will it be possible to play The Sims 2 again? Sad

Oh no.

@Kunder, actually, there was NO problem, NO wrong thing with my older Acer. The Sims 2 worked perfectly fine on that one. But that laptop is now broken. I cannot use it anymore.

That's why I had hoped to play the game on my very recent Gamer PC...

I'm struggling (again) with depression as of lately, and The Sims 2 would have been a welcome 'outlet' to it... I mean, I need to be reassured and this game (kinda) plays the role of a 'wubby' / of a 'cuddly bunny blanket' (if I might say)...
(This post was last modified: 26-10-2019 10:57 PM by poisson.)

#10 27-10-2019 
What's wrong with your Acer? Maybe something simple you can fix yourself.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option