Lag, flickering, and ram issues
#1 07-10-2020 
  • Registered
Hi,
I'm new to this site but have been browsing the past few months (since July) because google keeps sending me here. I'm having issues with the 4gb patch not working, issues with the graphics (sometimes it flickers when I move the camera and sometimes I can play with the settings and get it to work), it also lags like mad! I only have all store items installed for CC (except the castle stuff, the spooky stuff and cars) and a few mods: [Image: 6qZ2kZB.png] [Image: tZJoYgk.png]
My game likes to lag like crazy too. On lots with more than 3 sims it starts to go slow in 3x speed, like really slow! I've tried the intel SGR files recommended in this post here but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried doing the things with the graphics rule maker but that doesn't seem to change anything for me, I have to manually go in and change resolution settings when I use it. I play it on windowed mode with windows borderless gaming to try to combat lag as well as setting it in the task manager to have high priority. I'm at my ropes end! I LOVE the sims 2 since I've started watching Pleasant Sims play it on streams and marticore's legacy challenge.... I want the game so badly to run well. I have an imac as well and own the super collection but the ultimate collection is so much better because it has everything and I bought the super collection thinking it was exactly the same. I'm addicted to the free time things! I can only play for ten minutes before the issues get me and now I can't fix the flickering. I've included both my config log file and the DxDiag text file if that will help.

.txt  DESKTOP-9DI6UMS-config-log.txt (Size: 10.39 KB / Downloads: 270)

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 84.74 KB / Downloads: 294)

Thanks for all help,
Amber Lynn Martin
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 09:17 PM by amartin250.)

#2 09-10-2020 
  • Registered
I've reinstalled the game and that fixed flickering thank god! My new files are here: site won't let me upload my SGR files
.txt  DESKTOP-9DI6UMS-config-log.txt (Size: 10.32 KB / Downloads: 276) . I've done all the tricks for the 4GB patch (applying it from inside the folder and while it is on the desktop) and I'm not sure if my config file is glitched to only show 1 GB but use 4 GB or if it is only using 1 GB but this is weird. Lag is still a major problem especially on lots with many sims!

About to try using process lasso as someone suggested in a modthesims post. Will see how it turns out, maybe my 4 core 8GB ram system is too much and I need to set it down to less cores for the game itself?

#3 10-10-2020 
I doubt the config file is glitched, it refreshes each time the game is started. When editing the exe you must move it to somewhere where you have permission to edit/save, like the desktop. Depending on how you have the OS set up, dragging and dropping may only create a shortcut rather than moving the actual file. So right click cut, right click paste will ensure it is moved. Also make sure you are not setting any sort of compatibility mode, it's unnecessary and disables the 4gb patch.

#4 11-10-2020 
  • Registered
(10-10-2020 01:43 PM)HugeLunatic Wrote:  I doubt the config file is glitched, it refreshes each time the game is started. When editing the exe you must move it to somewhere where you have permission to edit/save, like the desktop. Depending on how you have the OS set up, dragging and dropping may only create a shortcut rather than moving the actual file. So right click cut, right click paste will ensure it is moved. Also make sure you are not setting any sort of compatibility mode, it's unnecessary and disables the 4gb patch.
I did use compatibility mode. Someone somewhere online recommended it to another simmer. >.< I'll disable that and move my .exe file to my desktop and reapply the patch. Thanks HugeLunatic. On the plus: process lasso was somewhat helpful, it would probably be even more useful after I stop using compatibility. Thanks!

#5 11-10-2020 
  • Registered
So you were right, I will test and see if it lags only. I ran it just to the main menu to see if I could get the config to update.
.txt  DESKTOP-9DI6UMS-config-log.txt (Size: 10.32 KB / Downloads: 283) Now it sees 4 of my 8 GB ram! You saved my quarantine boredom only! Thank you!

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option