4gb patch and George not working
#1 08-01-2021 
  • Registered
Hi, I've tried installing the 4gb patch to give my game more memory. I followed the instructions to the patch C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSBin/Sims2EP9.exe and apply the patch but the memory and free memory never changes from 2048MB. I tried using George with the patch applied to it to replace the original Sims2EP9.exe but the memory still doesn't increase and when using George I get a DirectX compatible error. I'm currently playing all EPs and SPs from the disc on Windows 10. Thank you for any help provided!

#2 08-01-2021 
Do you have more than 2gb of memory? A dxDiag and a log from the game would helpful.

#3 09-01-2021 
  • Registered
(08-01-2021 10:32 PM)HugeLunatic Wrote:  Do you have more than 2gb of memory? A dxDiag and a log from the game would helpful.

Thanks for responding so quickly! Smile My laptop says it has 15.9GB of usable RAM. I've attached a DxDiag and the log from my game.
(removed)
(This post was last modified: 27-12-2021 08:45 AM by Brooke.)

#4 09-01-2021 
I see that you DO have a HUGE amount of texture memory set up. I think the game would do just as well with half as much.
Of course, that does not explain why George wouldn't work. However, something in your wording alarms me...

(08-01-2021 08:25 PM)Brooke Wrote:  I tried using George with the patch applied to it to replace the original Sims2EP9.exe

I hope that this doesn't mean that you tried to apply the 4GB patch to George, because George comes with the patch already applied! That's why we even call it 'George'... to have it stand out from common no-CD/no DVD/no Origin executables.
But another thing that I now wonder is, if Windows may have replaced Geroge with the original file again. Sometimes, you have to circumvent certain Windows security features to prevent them from doing that.

#5 09-01-2021 
You may also need to add an exception to your anti virus program for George. I know I did; I think I added the entire UC folder in program files.

#6 09-01-2021 
  • Registered
That was my fault for wording it wrong. What I was trying to say is that I tried applying the original 4gb patch to the original Sims2EP9.exe before replacing it with George, but it didn't work which is why I then tried replacing it with the patched George version. Sorry for the confusion!

My antivirus surprisingly didn't detect any viruses with it.

Update: I redownloaded George and extracted the .rar directly into C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSBin and it worked this time! Not entirely sure why it didn't the last time. The log is showing memory: 4096MB and free memory: 4096MB. Smile

Thank you BoilingOil and HugeLunatic for the help! Now I won't have to deal with random crashing anymore. Angel

#7 09-01-2021 
Good! Thanks for the clarification, and congratulations on getting it to work!

Happy Simming, @Brooke.

~BO

#8 06-06-2021 
Hi
Please could somone help me ? I have tried the 4gb patch but it didn't seem to work it only goes up to 3000 and something.

I have had the game work previous but all of a sudden it has started crashing ☹ Help?? I have attached specs ??

Hi
Please could somone help me ? I have tried the 4gb patch but it didn't seem to work it only goes up to 3000 and something.

I have had the game work previous but all of a sudden it has started crashing ☹ Help??
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2021 12:01 AM by Chelsxwatson.)

#9 07-06-2021 
Hi @Chelsxwatson,

Please start a new thread of your own, and follow the instructions below. Which is to say: attach a copy of your config-log.txt file and (in this case) also a DXDiag.txt, so we can see what resources your computer finds available. We will then see what we can do to help.

~BO

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option