Random Crashing (Access_Violation)
#1 16-08-2022 
  • Registered
Hello! I've been having this issue for a while now, and no matter how much graphicsrules tweaking I try to do myself/through graphicsrulesmaker, it never seems to help. I keep getting ACCESS_VIOLATION errors and random CTDs with no warning/error message. I usually get insane pink soup, and then a random crash. I get very overwhelmed when tweaking graphicsrules by myself, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could fix this? Here's what I tried already:

-Downloading a couple of different graphicsrules files that worked for others through this forum
-Playing around with options in graphicsrulesmaker
-Setting my texture memory through graphicsrulesmaker to the exact number my computer has as seen in dxdiag
-Setting up memory allocation dump

I use RPC which automatically deletes all caches and applies the 4gb patch.

I attached the error log, as well as the log from my DXDIAG and my Nvidia Control panel. I have an NVIDIA card and an Intel one. I use Windows 11, it came with my computer.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10500H CPU.txt (Size: 114.43 KB / Downloads: 116)
.txt  NVIDIA System Information 08-15-2022 18-53-40.txt (Size: 3.57 KB / Downloads: 117)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2022.08.15 11.09.09.txt (Size: 16.27 KB / Downloads: 120)

#2 16-08-2022 
Hi Wink
You've got the same video card as I have!

We really need for you to attach your latest XyournameX-config-log.txt from the Logs folder (in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\)
Then we can be sure the 4Gb patch is working...

Also - how does the game run without CC?
Keep your mods in, but remove all buy/build CC - go play a purely maxis family you never played before - how does the game run?

I'm sad to tell you, but from experience with my set-up, I think maybe your problem stems from too much (or conflicting) CC.
(I'd love it though, if we could prove me wrong!) Wink

#3 16-08-2022 
  • Registered
So sorry. I'll attach it here. I'll check how the game runs without cc. Is there a way that I could see if my CC is conflicting?

Attached File(s)
.txt  MSI-config-log.txt (Size: 10.27 KB / Downloads: 109)

#4 17-08-2022 
Thank you for the config log:
The 4Gb patch did not take. Do it last, and as an admin.

GeForce 7800 GTX is listed as your card - you must have installed the DVKX-whatever-it-is-thing. (That should be a last resort for pink soup - if you don't really need it, it does more harm than good.) Please remove it and rerun the GRM to get the right settings. Make sure your game is using the right video card.

I apologize if I'm coming off as short tempered in my reply - it is midnight, my eyes are closing. But, I remembered this thread just as I was about to shut down my machine.

Try the above. Remove the DVK thing first, then do the GRM, then run the 4Gb patch.
You should get your game running smoothly withOUT CC first. Then add back small amounts of CC until you start to have problems.
And yes, you can check for conflicting CC with Whoward's HCDU+ (Google is good at finding it) Wink
Good night! I'll check back in the morning. *yawn*

#5 17-08-2022 
  • Registered
Thank you for taking a look.

I have no idea what DVKX is, and I don't recall ever downloading it, so I tried re-running GRM and then running the 4GB patch manually (even though RPC is supposed to do it automatically). My config log still doesn't reflect the 4gb patch :/

#6 17-08-2022 
It is: d3d9.dll
I should have typed DXVK... but, whatever, you shouldn't need it with your GPU/card. (It uses the wrong graphics settings.)

So, remove the d3d9.dll, then redo GRM and the 4GB.

#7 17-08-2022 
  • Registered
I checked and d3d9.dll doesnt exist in my game folders. I actually also completely reinstalled my game, but for some reason the 4gb patch is still not installing correctly. Here's my latest exception log.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2022.08.17 11.10.22.txt (Size: 15.48 KB / Downloads: 145)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option