Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#481 26-07-2014 
  • Registered
@leefish, thank you for your reply. I don't remember my trees and neighbours houses being so awful when I played sims 2 in the past. I found a couple of settings in the nvidia control panel and changed them to 'application control' and I think the trees might look a little better, but really the graphics are terrible and I'm not sure if I will continue playing it or not.

Too bad because I was getting excited about playing a game that is quick to load, save and doesn't lag (and that's just for starters).

Thank you for you help. Shy

#482 26-07-2014 
They always were that awful - we just never saw it. I often played with neighbours off. You and your sim in rolling green nowhere Big Grin

Try it - you are so busy playing with the sim the hood becomes what it is supposed to be - a backdrop. I hardly notice it.

#483 26-07-2014 
@DJames - are you using the Ultimate Collection or the original version? You place the graphic rules in the following folders, after saving the original 'graphic rules.sgr'

For the original game - In the Program Folders

\EA\The Sims 2 - Mansion and Gardens\TSData\Res\Config\
\EA\The Sims 2 - Mansion and Gardens\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

For the Ultimate collection - the folder selection is:

\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\

Once you've done that - go into the game, and then attach the new config-log.txt.

@Daleylife - can you put up your config-log.txt again (attach it, rather than copy and paste) - so I can see what's going on.
If it did what it is supposed to do - then you would be getting high-res.

Can you double check that you've put it in
For the Ultimate collection - the folder selection is:
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\

@Baggaiver
OK. So as far as we can see - the game part is set up as well as can be done.
So the next thing is doing a DXDiag - do you know how to do one of those?
And after that to update your DirectX.

Step 1:
Given that you are getting this error with reinstalling - you need to download the latest graphic drivers for your graphics card.
You can get that here from the AMD Site

Step 2:
Make sure that you have DirectX updated - Microsoft Site

Step 3:
Check that everything is good.

Select your Start menu - there should be a thing that says 'run'
type in dxdiag and press enter.
It will bring up a dialog window. At the bottom there is a button that says 'save all information...'
cllick on that button, and it will create a text file. Post that text file up here.

See if your game starts.
If it does post up the config log.
If it doesn't let me know what message it gives, whether it is still the same as previously.
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2014 05:16 AM by celebkiriedhel.)

#484 26-07-2014 
  • Registered
(25-07-2014 06:36 PM)leefish Wrote:  @Cronox did you follow the steps in the first post?

1. go to Nvidia control panel / select your latest installed game (SP9 most often) / force the game to use the good graphics card (not the integrated one) by selecting Nvidia high perfomance;

2. Set Compatibility - if you have Windows 8, use Windows 7. If you have Windows 7 - try XP Service Pack 3.

3. and finally -always- run as an admin.

Yea. I did that and it run with Intel graphics, but if You and Kiri say that it's okay, I'll leave it this way.

#485 26-07-2014 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel

so I have an issue. I cannot find my config log. ANYWHERE. Theres no EA folder in my documents. i went to programs x64 to origin and origin games and found the files that i needed to change, but i can't find the config log! And the EA file in programs x64, and there was nothing there. Please help me >_<

#486 26-07-2014 
@ricchanono -

You're probably looking in the wrong My documents. Apparently they get plonked down twice. Um...If you go here - Boiling Oil describes what is happening.

In the meantime - if you know what your graphics card is - Intel, Radeon or NVidia - then go to the first post, and choose the attachment that matches your card, and follow the steps from Step 2.

@crishax
When you installed the Ultimate Collection did you install it with the same language that you have on the website? Apparently that makes a lot of difference. They need to be the same.
Also you need the Intel fix, that will also make a difference. Your current config-log.txt says that you're not.

#487 26-07-2014 
  • Registered
Hey, i just recently got the sims 2 ultimate. I haven't played the sims2 in years. I used your guide, and failed to get it working. My problem is simple, i load the game, get to the loading screen and it sits. i will attach my log file and maybe someone can help.

Attached File(s)
.txt  RICHARD-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 14.25 KB / Downloads: 315)

#488 26-07-2014 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel; I see the amazing things you were doing and I've gotten so excited after previously being completely frustrated from constant working on fixing the game I love!
Problem: When first downloading the game it ran until I tried to create a family then *puff* CRASH!, I messed with the "graphics rules" to try to fix it ( created back up) and it didn't work, it actually didn't start at all with the sight of a direct x error.
Now when replacing the altered file with your Intel fix that I ANXIOUSLY downloaded it now crashes in the middle of the load screen ( with message : the application has crashed. The application will now terminate )

System Specs: Intel® HD graphics 3000
Approx. Total Memory: 1664 mb
Current Display Mode: 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60 Hz)
Operating System: Windows 8 (64 bit)
Direct X Version : Direct X 11

( Config. file attached below) BTW using Ultimate Collection
PLEASE HELP ME! Save ME from BOREDOM

.txt  LAUREN-config-log.txt (Size: 10.24 KB / Downloads: 270)
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2014 05:49 AM by laurenlu12lu.)

#489 26-07-2014 
@lecithin
Before you start up your game, delete your cache files. When they get corrupt (and they do that at the drop of a hat) - they cause that sort of error.

@laurenlu12lu
If you delete the cache file, that may help.
Do you have CC in your game yet, or you still using vanilla?

There's a tutorial here on clearing the caches

#490 26-07-2014 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel

yeah... followed the link you gave me..... theres no EA Games folder in public documents or any of the other user folders.... so ;_;

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option