What started you simming?
#41 06-05-2014 
I remember little computer ppls back in days when i had a C64, was the first ...rl-simulation ever if im not wrong. It was fun...but boring after a while. When i heard first time about the sims (1) i was noisy, that was more a kind of simulation, making and creating ur own world.
I gave it a go, using edonky or emule...cant rememeber, downloading an illegal cracked copy and installed it. Playing for ...3 weeks (longer then expected), and was fascinated, so i bought me an original copy. Then all addons (havent played the last very much anymore), and right in time sims2 came out. This time i skipped the emule thing and went for the original in the first go, all addons again, and then sims3 was released.
It has the better graphics, and i have ....dunno, alot but not all addons. But its different to 2, in a way i dislike a little bit.
So im still playing sims2, not that much anymore, but sometimes if i got a bit time spare left.....its still worth it.
Smile

#42 06-05-2014 
Mine started on the PS2, and at first I was not interested! The hubby was all excited and talked about it, and I switched off! He brought it home fired it up and I said 'meh, I do all that in real life, and thats hard enough getting me out of bed and ready for work, let alone do it for a game, why on earth would I want to do that!' About 2 weeks after the novelty wore off for him, I was home alone sick from work parked up on the couch bored stiff, and thought what the hell lets see the hype! Made a family moved them in, then discovered I could build them a house, hooked! Didnt admit to the hubby that I was obsessed as I knew I would get the dreaded 'I told you so!' he found me out when I forgot to take the disc out! So after that bought pets, hired castaway from the vid shop, and then Urbz joined the family, and after that TS2 on the colsole played them over and over, then my brother gave us his shoddy old computer, so bought sims 1. Couldnt run much on it, was a hunk of junk, loading times took forever but it was worth it! Then my friend bought a lappy and sims 2, went round and had a go at that, and was hooked even more, so convinced Darryl we needed a new pc, and bought all the ep's sp's and the rest is history! Darryl did buy me TS3 and a couple of ep's but I just couldnt get into it, so thats been sold, looking forward to trying TS4 though, but cant see me giving up TS2 for a long time!

#43 16-05-2014 
It started when TS1 first came out and someone loaded it on to my very first PC that I was given. Then it was SimTower and when TS 2 came out I was hooked for life. I got everything that had anything to do with 'Sims'. SimCity was also a favourite! Over the years I developed chronic RA which kept me indoors for 99 percent of the time so then I really got involved with simming. When my hands became very deformed it was a little more difficult but after a few years of pain and a few struggles I have worked around that. I still have deformity but am able to sit at my PC again and enjoy it and have since got TS 3, albeit I have not got all the XPacks as my PC couldn't handle it all. The game is a little Jerky but I can play it. I have now since re-installed TS 2. I had difficulty getting it loaded with Windows 8.1 but after help from my long time simming friends of many years I am up and running and addicted once again. TS 2 is a classic and still my all time favourite and am really so happy to be able to play it again. My favourite part of the game has always been family building, caring and watching children grow up, and house/apartment building too. My hubby even bought me a book many years ago, with floor house plans to help with some designing. I will continue 'simming' for as long as I am able to sit in front of my PC and play! My favourite past time!

#44 01-08-2014 
  • Registered
I think for me. What sold me on The Sims 2 was Jessa from the Jessachannel. Her lets play really got me started 8n this game. Then I got Double deluxe at a thrift store and I was so happy. Then I found MTS then this amazing place.

#45 01-08-2014 
When I was in high school, a friend of mine had The Sims (1). She fired it up and showed me her neighborhood, told me about the sims she had made in it (primarily her selfsim and a sim of her boyfriend at the time) and how she had done other things in the game (I think maybe rosebud and decorating their houses). I was interested, but I didn't have my own PC at the time, and I forgot about it.

Several years later, when I was in my early twenties, I was living with my boyfriend at the time and he decided to buy a copy of the Sims 2 and it's first two expansions. We loaded it up on both his PC and my (cheaper, crappier) PC. I was already in the habit of using cracked .exe files, so I could play the games he let me install on my machine without having to use the discs. I loaded it up, made a YA sim, and started playing. It was a blast!

I remember having some bug issues sometime after we got OFB, and trying to fix them I stumbled across MATY. Downloading from there led me to find MTS2 and Simlogical, (and when TwoJeffs left MATY to create Simbology, I migrated there). It was great finding CC to play with, and to this day I still play my Sims 2 games (and 3 as well).

#46 10-08-2014 
At the age of 3, I would go around to my cousins house and watch her play Sims 2. One day my parents bought it for me and I played it ever since

#47 07-01-2015 
  • Registered
I played the Sims 1 on the console when I was about 9 years old. My dad would let me run around in GTA 3 (those games were way less overt about sex/drugs and things then) and one day I said "It'd be neat if the guy had needs and stuff, like he had to go to sleep at night and eat." Dad mentioned the Sims which he had read about, and we bought it a little while after. It took me a while to get used to the overhead view and the controls, but once I got passed that I loved it. It became a nice transition for me to go from dolls to big girl stuff, and my mom played too, so we ended up having every single sims game for PS2 and playing each one constantly. When I was about 12, I got a gaming computer for Christmas with The Sims 2 and all EPs and SPs released at the time (I think it was up to OFB/Glamor Life Stuff). I've been playing ever since then, as no game has reached TS2's perfect blend of creativity and realism for me yet. <3

#48 13-01-2015 
This is a really great topic. I had to dig into my brain to remember this one. My boyfriend at the time (who is now my husband) had just bought a new computer so I wanted to play a few games on it. However, I was a console gamer not a PC gamer so I was nervous about getting into hardcore games in my first go. So I decided to try a little unknown game called Sims 1. It looked like a great game to pass the time with and to start off with on the PC. I was instantly hooked. My boyfriend would watch me play from time to time, laughing at the Sims. He fell in love with them with their funny ways and strange language. So when I started collecting the expansion packs, he never questioned it. Although it was his computer, we pretty much shared it since I couldn't stop simming, especially when I started getting into downloading custom content. It was the first time I was actually involved in a gaming community and it felt great. There were like minded people like me who loved The Sims as much as I did. They also loved it enough to begin creating forums and places for simmers to communicate. I look back at those times with a big smile and occasionally, I still find myself smiling when playing those little pixelated people.
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 05:35 AM by Simtopia.)

#49 14-01-2015 
hi new folks Big Grin

Great stories from both of you.

Totally agree on the perfection of TS2 - that one just grabbed something in me and it wont let go. 3 and 4 are not having that effect and I never played sims1.

#50 13-03-2015 
Ha, so great to see all of the "Mom" references. I was feeling guilty about enjoying it on my down time. My BFs daughter gave her Sims Life Stories when she got Sims 2. My daughter kept calling me over to show me what they were doing or what she built. It was fun tho limiting. I enjoyed the challenge of going beyond what the game could do. Then BFs daughter came to visit (they live in another state) and we saw Sims 2 in action and off to buy Sims 2 - Double Deluxe was out. Eventually we got most EPs but then came 3. Got 3 and she didn't enjoy it as much so I got the rest of the EPs on ebay.

Got a new laptop and now I can't get anything to work. I wiped clean the desk top in hopes I could run it there but it's so old it won't run EP9 and the old explorer can't show the sites I need to get DirectX9 from. I need a good friend who is a geek to come help me get everything running! So frustrated that I have the Mansions and Garden stuff and still haven't been able to use it. But people here are helping - we'll get there!

I have 4 running but I really miss making my own neighborhoods. Sims 4 communities are really beautiful but I hate not having my Sim being able to fall in love with another Sim I made.

Sorry, that is a members only option