Coffin for Fansee (Vampire Bed)
#101 27-07-2012 
MLC, I like the chair per se, but I agree with Lee that it doesn't really look IKEA like.

Are are you talking about the Jules chair? I haven't seen anybody put the game version on wheels, but IKEA have done it themselves. (Swedish page, sorry - IKEA in English does not compute for me.) So there's an IRL precedent for doing it if you want to. Wink

I have a music box question for my crew mates: Should Sims be able to turn the music off? Right now they can, but I can't decide whether or not I want to keep it that way. You see, if you turn off the music too quickly - as in, within the first ten or so seconds - it causes a problem with the animation; not a "ZOMG error!" problem, but an "it looks weird" problem.

And here's why...(Click to View)

Now, this wouldn't really be a problem if I could be sure people would use a bit of common sense and not turn the music off as soon as they start it - but you can never count on people using common sense. Rolleyes Of course, I could simply add a note to the upload saying that "if you stop the music before the vampire is sitting up, it might look weird" - but as we all know, your average downloader only reads the title of the download, if you're lucky, so then I'd get a heap of "it looks weird waaaaaah!" complaints anyway. Dodgy

Opinions? (I'll upload a version to the group if you want to try it out for yourselves, BTW.)

#102 27-07-2012 
Yes! That chair...the one I can never remember the name of, lol. I saw Ikea's version yesterday and have my version just about done.

The music? I've had a few music boxes and I've honestly never let the whole thing play..but that's real life. If you're going to have something like that in a game, I'd say letting the whole thing play is the point of having it in the game when it's as cool as a vampire sitting up and looking at you.

#103 27-07-2012 
Actually, I wouldn't have remembered what it was called, either (I'd expect an IKEA chair to be called STOL or SITTA - "chair" and "sit" - or something like that, not Jules) if I hadn't had my game running and could check. Wink But yay, Jules on wheels! I'm looking forward to it! Celebrate

I must admit, I haven't had a music box since I was four or five or so, and I can't for the life of me remember if I let all of it play or not (I do remember the little dancing ballerina inside, though). I probably didn't. Tongue But yeah, why have a music box in game if you're just going to turn it off? Also, it runs for less than forty seconds. I know kids these days have zero patience, but... maybe they can stand forty seconds of classical music anyway? (And the Sim is perfectly free to wander off and do whatever in the meantime, I don't have him/her go to idle.)

#104 27-07-2012 
I remember my children listening to music boxes and deliberately rewinding them to listen over and over again!
Karen Lorraine, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2012.

#105 28-07-2012 
Karen, that sounds encouraging. Smile Then maybe kids won't be bored to tears if they have to listening to music playing for forty seconds without being able to turn it off after all - because I'm leaning towards that more and more.

I'm also leaning towards having more than one music selection - Bach's Toccata in D minor would make excellent vamp-waking-up music, too, IMO. vamp

#106 28-07-2012 
Yes, Bach's Toccata would certainly be good vampire music too Smile (listening now, and enjoying Smile). Is there anything modern that would work too? Twilight music? I don't listen to pop music - I'll consult my daughter (she's into vampire stuff and music and see if she has any ideas).

#107 28-07-2012 
More music choices. I like that idea.

#108 28-07-2012 
Twilight music? Please NO! These ain't no Twilight vampires. The two classical pieces you've chosen sound perfect though, Nix. Very vampirey. And I agree it's best to let the whole song play rather than messing up the animation by stopping it early. The player has to direct the sim to use this object anyway, right? So it's not like the music will be randomly playing all the time.

#109 28-07-2012 
@Karen, the problem with modern music is that there's copyright and stuff on it (well, technically, there's copyright on classical music as well - on the recordings, anyway), so it's best to steer clear of that. Sad Better safe than sorry.

@MLC, great! Now that I know how to add music to an object, it would be a shame not to put it to good use. Smile

@Fansee, yep, a Sim has to actually turn the music box on - and when the music has played for all of 39 seconds, it stops (and the vamp goes back to sleep), it doesn't loop or anything. So the player has to take active part to get the music to play.

Hmmm... now I had another idea, what if the music box increased the environment score for all Sims in the room when it started playing? Or would that be silly?

#110 29-07-2012 
Had forgotten about copyright issues - doh

Sorry, that is a members only option