Smooth Edges - Graphics
#31 22-02-2013 
I made a mistake with the name and the ® turned into the r with the squiggle. I've fixed the video card again.

OK - you're definitely getting Low setting forced. The Trace is:
Kiri: low mem or low cpu or maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor lt 1
Now
Your Memory = 2040MB and Low Memory is defined as 256 - so that's not it.
Your CPU = 2326 and Low CPU is defined as 1000 - so that's not it. Your CPU is Medium because it's between 2200 and 2800.
So it must be the value for maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor -
According to your Config file it is = 0 (its displayed in HW T&L: Fixed function:0 Programmable:0.0) (it's the first number in the programmable).

There is a whole set of things that happen because of this, including setting your screen resolution to medium.

So what's actually holding you back is not your graphics card, but whatever the maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor is measuring, and your CPU speed.

What I'm going to do, is set up your graphics card so that it jumps to med resolution (i.e. it ignores the maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor field). That should do something - the worst that it will do is make your game go boom - in which case just take it back out again and replace it with the trace version.

Attached is the new CSConfig.rar - rename the old ones and put these ones into your CSConfig folder.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with this one!!

Attached File(s)
.rar  CSConfig2.rar (Size: 10.75 KB / Downloads: 462)
celebkiriedhel, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Dec 2010.
amazon wishlist because Lee said so.

#32 22-02-2013 
While we are on the subject, has anyone had success overriding the game's settings using AMD's Catalyst Software (VISION Engine Control Center?) On some games I've found that AMD's anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering seems to run much more efficiently and is much easier on the hardware (judging by the temps and the lack of full-speed fan noise.) Some programs throw fits though when you try to do this however, or deliver odd visual artifacts. I had everything for TS2 set to "use application settings" but I've had such good results with other games, I think I am going to try the overrides and see what kind of results they deliver.

#33 22-02-2013 
I've never tried it - I'd be interested to see how you go.

I don't think you can set up the Graphics Rules.sgr to allow it though - it would have to be outside the game that the overrides occur.

Looking at the Graphic Rules.sgr (which is where you'd need to do it, if it was in-game) -
I can see an override for using memory management,
# never trust the driver to manage its own memory
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager false

#34 22-02-2013 
Thank you for posting the files. Ran them through game. No smooth edges here.

I have attached the log file. Smile

Your help is very much appreciated.

Attached File(s)
.zip  DEBORAH-PC-config-log.zip (Size: 3.25 KB / Downloads: 437)
Sailfindragon, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Aug 2012.

#35 22-02-2013 
Sorry, I know you worked so hard on this Kiri, but the game crashed immedatley when I opened it. It gave some sort of error with a long description that was too brief to read about not having a compatible Direct X Graphics Card. I restored the game from an older backup of the config files you sent earlier and it loaded fine. I'm attaching the log again. If you feel like quitting, I'm fine with that. It's not a total loss for me. But it would be nice to have them, I haven't had any since 2007.

Attached File(s)
.rar  JONATHAN-config-log(2).rar (Size: 3.32 KB / Downloads: 421)

#36 22-02-2013 
Jon,

That doesn't surprise me. What it means is that the maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor = 0 is the problem, and it can't be gotten around by ignoring it.

Basically what I did with your thing was remove the check on that field, it set it to Med settings, and then went boom.

So... OK... I won't do it tonight, but what I will do is see what I can do about settings to let you have anti-alias, but still be at low setting.

(Yes, I AM this stubborn when it comes to programming problems. I am a programmer by trade - and I do not like it when a problem gets the better of me. Smile )

Deborah -

Yeah - I wasn't expecting it to fix it, but what it did was tell me why you're having problems.

The problem is that you only have 32Mb set up as Texture memory.
This seems to be wrong for the card you have - so there is definitely changes to be made for you.

It's late at night here, but I will do it and provide a new card for you tomorrow.

#37 22-02-2013 
Thank you so much. Smile

#38 27-02-2013 
I haven't forgotten this - just been having a distraction/no brain sort of few days.

#39 27-02-2013 
Quite alright. I can relate. Smile

#40 27-02-2013 
take your time, I'm in no hurry.

Sorry, that is a members only option